'Build a loco' Challenge entries

Well done to all who have taken part in the 2015 Challenge, there's some super work that's been achieved!

As the challenge is now complete I would be grateful if anyone who is confirming an entry and wishes it to be placed in the voting could post in this topic a short (100 words or less) summary giving a description of your project along with which category (Scratchbuild/KitbuildModified RTR, Static display) it is entered into along with a link to your build topic.

Please also choose an image of the end result to catch peoples' eye.

I'll then take the entries which are confirmed within this topic and build the voting, if you could add your summary post by Sunday 17th January I'd be grateful.

[Edit - This topic is for entries only, no other replies]

• RMweb Premium

This is my first entry for the kitbuilt challenge.

This is a OO gauge model of an ex-LNER F5 in BR livery.

The body and chassis were 3D printed, so not much assembly needed. The challenge was in getting a decent finish, and getting a plastic chassis to work.

link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99937-kitbuild-challenge-entry-lner-f5-2-4-2t/

Eye candy:

post-6821-0-48652500-1451938096_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nile
  • Like 14

Here is my entry.

A scratch built ex LSWR G6. It has always been a favourite class of mine. I used it a base for experimenting with working inside motion. I have a few builds coming up where the motion is very visable. It is finished in Southern black lined green livery circa 1932.

Here is the link to the build 

Here is the finished article, less the crew and coal in the bunker.

post-13601-0-79214200-1452129512_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-00948200-1452129534_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-18542900-1452129573_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My challenge was to build a O gauge class 02 diesel shunter kit.  It was to be the first thing I had built in O gauge, and hopefully the first chassis I had built which actually worked.  

Link http://www.rmweb.co....lass-02-diesel/

I started with this...

post-19248-0-99729400-1452452522.jpg

and made it into this...

post-19248-0-75540600-1452452550.jpg

Much to my relief it does work, although the kit pick ups are not very good and I plan to change them for plunger pick ups sometime soon. It may even appear on 'Gillan & Brown', the Romiley Club layout.

The challenge has increased my modelling skills, including chassis building and airbrushing. Plus I've learnt lots of small things e.g. how to get the wheels revolving freely, how to glue a white metal body using superglue and 'Rocket Powder' to fill gaps and strengthen joints.

Thanks to RMweb for setting out the challenge, Phil Parker for his encouragement, everyone at RMweb and my model railway clubs for their advice and help. While my loco is not perfect, I've learnt a lot and I'm happy with it.

• Like 6

Category: Kitbuild / Scratchbuild.

4mm Scale, 21mm (5'3") gauge.

The Great Northern Railway (Ireland) VS class locos of 1948 were based on the V class Compounds of 1932, but with simple expansion and other developments to suit the post war environment.

My starting point was the Studio Scale Models kit for the V class which provided components such as boiler, cab & frames. Many other parts had to be made from scratch, including the running plate, cylinders, valve gear, smokebox and complete tender. Full details are here.
The model has certainly been a challenge. Various boundaries duly pushed!. Thanks to all who have given encouragement.

Alan

post-3024-0-95743400-1452458271.jpg

post-3024-0-71922400-1452458212.jpg

post-3024-0-00840500-1452458327.jpg

• Like 12

This is my entry in the scratchbuilt/kitbuilt section - a much modified DJH SECR L class, modelled as 1768 in late 1930s Southern Railway condition.

The DJH kit must have come out in the early 1980s and had a few dimensional inaccuracies. Luckily I was able to track down a GA for the loco and correct most of these, and then cheated by using the SEF C class tender kit to represent an example which ended up with a replacement C class tender due to accident damage. More details are here.

post-1187-0-60130900-1452634574_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This was my entry for the "Modified RTR" category!

I always fancied converting the Ixion Hudswell Clarke saddle tank into something a little different. I could see the family resemblance around the cab area to Manchester Ship Canal 0-6-0 side tanks so with a bit of help with drawings and spare H/C bits from some nice chaps (Thanks!) I got stuck in. It was a chance to test both my plastic and brass skills and the result, whilst not claiming to be a replica of one, seems to capture the general look of a "Canal" class 0-6-0T.

Starting point

post-7179-0-97557400-1452642058.jpg

Progress

post-7179-0-50767000-1452642071_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-81765400-1452642088_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-84699600-1452642077_thumb.jpg

A sort of before and after pic showing the end result!

post-7179-0-28008400-1452642049_thumb.jpg

Full details Here

Thanks

Jon Fitness

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 7

Here's my humble effort for the scratch build a loco challenge. Having a limited budget its built around a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis converted to an 0-8-0 fitted with Romford wheels. Apart from the boiler and smokebox which came from a GBL T9 the rest is scratch built in plasticard and brass.

Link to thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77470-caledonian-tank-loco-scratch-build-from-post-no-10/?p=1973573

It's based on a Caledonian 492 class heavy shunting and trip working loco, six were built in the early 1900s and lasted until the 1930s They were air braked so could work the Caledonian 30T bogie mineral wagons.

During building

post-17847-0-94935200-1452702967.jpg

Pausing between duties

post-17847-0-78469300-1452702882.jpg

post-17847-0-09252400-1452702931_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-26736700-1452703035_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 6

Firstly Andy what a great challenge this has been!

Kitbuilt catagory

Last year when this challenge was announced I was in a very bad place in life. I'm still recovering from a very serious motorcycle injury that as a result has left me disabled & with no end in sight the mental injuries had taken effect.

This challenge was going to be a very personal challenge for me because I only have the use of 1 arm although my other hand can grip I have limited function. I wasn't sure if I could possibly do this challenge as I had limited knowledge from dabbling in the past plus the pain & injuries suffered would possibly prevent me from working with metal.

Therapy comes in the strangest of ways, I started my first kit & then just kept going because it was the best mental health therapy you could ask for. I've heard of electric shock treatment before but I find burning fingers with a soldering iron & screaming very good for mental health.

I'm not sure what model to enter because they are all great models so I will just list the lot. As a result of this challenge I have now been approached by various people to do some kit build commissions & my work is now featured on Jim McGowans website along with a some pre grouping items on my club website in the layout feature section.

London road models J3

attachicon.gifj3.jpg

Jim McGowan J50 as featured on his website.

attachicon.gifj50.jpg

Brassmasters 4F

attachicon.gif4f.jpg

Djh 02 shunter kit.

attachicon.gif02.jpg

London Rd Models LYR Barton Wright Ironclad

attachicon.gifBarton_Wright.JPG

Jim McGowan J79 as featured on his website

attachicon.gifj79.jpg

London Rd Models LYR 2-4-2

attachicon.gifL___T_Raidial_Tank.JPG

Jim McGowan N7 as featured on his website a lovely model to build.

attachicon.gifn7.jpg

Craftsman Johnson rebuilt from a pile of very badly built pieces as a gift to a elderly friend of mine. Most would have wrote this off.

attachicon.gifjohnson.jpg

Craftsman LYR class 28 with scratch built firebox & boiler.

attachicon.gifClass_26.JPG

I wouldn't say that was a bad haul for a guy with only use of 1 arm. My advice for people suffering with mental health issues, Have a go & build a kit its amazing what you can learn & how it makes you feel. I felt pretty great after scratch building a boiler & firebox or rolling a boiler & seeing my first loco move. It'll lift your spirits I can gaurentee it.

Cheers

Simon

Dear Simon,

May I congratulate you on your wonderful work, please?

As one who's slowly pulling out of severe depression himself (for a second time), I can 'understand' to some extent what you've been going through, though my condition was not triggered by physical injury. If it's any use, I've re-started making locomotives again and it can be splendid therapy. 

May I also suggest you let the model press know of your work?

Kindest personal regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Hi Tony

It's a horrible thing depression & it takes ones mind to dark places that no one should have to visit.

I'm glad to hear you've started building locos again. Those dvds you produced spured me on to build kits initially so it's nice to know your back again.

I would really like to do something for the model press sometime but have never understood how to be included.

I'm glad your building kits again & thank you for your kind comments ;)

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Well here is my entry into the Scratchbuilt/Kitbuild area.

The model is an EM BR Standard Class 5 based on a DJH kit purchased earlier in the year. I choose to give it a new chassis which is my first attempt at scratchbuilding such a thing and just to make it a proper challenge I also made it compensated. As well as the chassis a number of other items were remade, modified or replaced to bring the model up to a scratch or at least dimensionally correct. These include the boiler fittings, backhead and chimney, modifying the cab, cylinders and the tender height.

The model is still not quite finished but you can follow the story of the build here.

post-4587-0-91444400-1452893296_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Andy Y for handing out the challenge and to all those who gave help, encouragement and inspiration.

All the best

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Nearly forgot this one.

This is my other entry for the kitbuilt challenge.

This is a OO gauge LSWR 0395 class built from a Golden Arrow resin kit. Designed for a RTR chassis, I've adapted one from an old Wills kit.

Link to the build http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98431-kitbuild-challenge-entry-lswr-0395-class/

This was the end result.

post-6821-0-19797900-1453059858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nile
  • Like 8

Firstly Andy what a great challenge this has been!

Kitbuilt catagory

Last year when this challenge was announced I was in a very bad place in life. I'm still recovering from a very serious motorcycle injury that as a result has left me disabled & with no end in sight the mental injuries had taken effect.

This challenge was going to be a very personal challenge for me because I only have the use of 1 arm although my other hand can grip I have limited function. I wasn't sure if I could possibly do this challenge as I had limited knowledge from dabbling in the past plus the pain & injuries suffered would possibly prevent me from working with metal.

Therapy comes in the strangest of ways, I started my first kit & then just kept going because it was the best mental health therapy you could ask for. I've heard of electric shock treatment before but I find burning fingers with a soldering iron & screaming very good for mental health.

I'm not sure what model to enter because they are all great models so I will just list the lot. As a result of this challenge I have now been approached by various people to do some kit build commissions & my work is now featured on Jim McGowans website along with a some pre grouping items on my club website in the layout feature section.

London road models J3

attachicon.gifj3.jpg

Jim McGowan J50 as featured on his website.

attachicon.gifj50.jpg

Brassmasters 4F

attachicon.gif4f.jpg

Djh 02 shunter kit.

attachicon.gif02.jpg

London Rd Models LYR Barton Wright Ironclad

attachicon.gifBarton_Wright.JPG

Jim McGowan J79 as featured on his website

attachicon.gifj79.jpg

London Rd Models LYR 2-4-2

attachicon.gifL___T_Raidial_Tank.JPG

Jim McGowan N7 as featured on his website a lovely model to build.

attachicon.gifn7.jpg

Craftsman Johnson rebuilt from a pile of very badly built pieces as a gift to a elderly friend of mine. Most would have wrote this off.

attachicon.gifjohnson.jpg

Craftsman LYR class 28 with scratch built firebox & boiler.

attachicon.gifClass_26.JPG

I wouldn't say that was a bad haul for a guy with only use of 1 arm. My advice for people suffering with mental health issues, Have a go & build a kit its amazing what you can learn & how it makes you feel. I felt pretty great after scratch building a boiler & firebox or rolling a boiler & seeing my first loco move. It'll lift your spirits I can gaurentee it.

Cheers

Simon

Absolute fantastic!

Because this was not only a distraction from the situation where yoy were in, but it was a real challenge  to produce these models with just one good working hand.

As we all know good motor skills are very important, and that's the part you lost a deal of due to the accident.

So it must have been a struggle in the beginning to do the simplest of things.

But in my opinion this art of model building is one of the best ways to train motor skills, so these projects must have been a vallueable aid in the recovery process.

I take my hat of for this, because I have built many models (no one of British outline yet, so sadly no entry), but I don't do any better than your models, and I have normal functionality of my limbs (although at the age of 5 my mom was told I had less than normal motor skills due to a slight berth defect, but modeling has been a cure for that)

• Like 1

There seems a lot more on the general build a loco challenge thread you don't think people have put there builds on there and think that automatically enters them and don't realise you have to enter it on here do you?

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

One of mine based on the old DJH C7 kit . much detail added to Loco, Alexander Models Tender. Painted and lined using HMRS Liing sheets. Powered by a Mashima and a High Level Gearbox.

Finished Loco here halfway down. Post 660.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/943-lner-models-in-4mm/page-27

Build from here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/943-lner-models-in-4mm/page-25

I am unable to show any photos as I now have a replacement computer.

post-7186-0-03549900-1455832706.jpg

post-7186-0-47316100-1455832730.jpg

post-7186-0-99972900-1455832750.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There seems a lot more on the general build a loco challenge thread you don't think people have put there builds on there and think that automatically enters them and don't realise you have to enter it on here do you?

Possibly.

Another possibility is that some people just ran out of time for various reasons - health (theirs, or that of people they care for) - other calls on their time (not all of which could reasonably have been anticipated) - or, perhaps, some people just tried to build stuff which was too ambitious (possibly even unbuildable).

Some of these people would have put in quite a bit of work (not all of it visible) over a number of months - so they would have wished other people to see what they'd done (or what they were trying to do). However, once some completed builds were put forward, these people might not have wished to "muddy the waters" for anyone whose models were ready to be judged - so these people either "went quiet" or (as in my case) asked for their build threads to be moved to general modelmaking sections of this site, with the builds to be completed when it's convenient.

When these models actually get completed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of these models get heavily reworked in the process - with rushed (or otherwise unsatisfactory) bits being replaced - perhaps different ideas being tried - possibly even to the point where you're effectively looking at new models, which could reasonably be entered into additional challenges at a later date.

Whether the people building these models would actually wish to enter "the same" build for a later challenge remains to be seen.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

I'd go along with this. I've completely missed this thread so had no idea the build had to be added here in addition to the build thread. Don't remember it being detailed in the original challenge rules. Too late now but here's my thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98916-scratchbuilding-a-secr-aeolus-2-4-0t-in-n/&do=findComment&comment=1878787

No point in the 100 word bit I suppose.

Gareth

• Like 1

Late I know but I'll post in hope anyway.

Scratchbuilt.
SECR Aeolus class in N gauge.
Scratch built from brass scrap with modified NBrass boiler fittings. Chassis an amalgamation of modified Farish 08 drivers, 94xx chassis block and Nigel Lawton micro motor. Home made transfers. 
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98916-scratchbuilding-a-secr-aeolus-2-4-0t-in-n/&do=findComment&comment=1878787

post-6986-0-66920000-1455115832_thumb.jpg

post-6986-0-03290900-1455115859_thumb.jpg

Gareth

• Like 6

Once again my apologies for the delay on the poll. What we would like to do, given the quality of entries, is to feature the entries in BRM April to encourage wider reading and voting (you deserve it!) before opening the vote to co-incide with that issue. Could you therefore email me (to info@rmweb.co.uk) hi-res pics of the entries so we can get them featured in a magazine spread.

• Like 1

As someone pretty well known on here for being on here most days It has taken up to now, almost 2 months since the OP, to even notice this topic!

For those who have been running their build topics on a far more intermittent basis I am not surprised in the least that some may not have posted here. I would not like to see those "unintentionally excluded" and wonder if it would have been possible to simply somehow gather all the topics in the forum and post as a summary?

I do think as an exercise in promoting kit building/scratch building/modifying RTR it has been excellent, but wonder why it took 5+ years to get to it. I am also a little concerned that those who entered and did not finish might also feel excluded from "entering" here. Just because they have not finished to the standard of the really outstanding examples above should not distract from the achievements made through simply crossing that first hurdle of starting. We probably all have kits in a state of "unfinished" (some would say that none of mine are finished as do not paint them), some of them in that state for years. That doesn't mean that they are ignored. I never saw this as a challenge or a race to finish (at any arbitrary defined point) more as an incentive to actually have a go. To show that the "art" of kit building is not dead (as presumed)

I do hope that the forthcoming BRM article emphasises that point and is not simply a display of what can be ultimately achieved. The finished product displayed I think does very little to promote this part of the hobby (it is as boring as displaying the latest RTR offering). The best way to promote kit building is to show how straightforward it actually is, step by step even if it is sometimes 2 steps forward and one back.

As for voting, I for one am going to find it very difficult to chose a "winner" because they are ALL winners AFAIC.

• Like 4

Once again my apologies for the delay on the poll. What we would like to do, given the quality of entries, is to feature the entries in BRM April to encourage wider reading and voting (you deserve it!) before opening the vote to co-incide with that issue. Could you therefore email me (to info@rmweb.co.uk) hi-res pics of the entries so we can get them featured in a magazine spread.

I've only got my phone camera that I took the pictures on here with (Ref post number eight) so does that mean I'm now ruled out because I haven't got a decent camera? Oh well good luck everyone else

Edited by Londontram