7mm Narrow Gauge, Mickleover, Derby. Sat 30th Jan 2016

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

post-18-0-03331400-1451998853_thumb.jpg

Everyone is invited to the following event

7mm Narrow Gauge Open Day (was a 'Members' Day' but is open to all)

Saturday 30th January 2016 10.00am to 4.00pm

Admission £3

Mickleover Community Centre,

Uttoxeter Road,

Mickleover,

Derby.

DE3 0DA

Light refreshments available

Regular visitors will know that we started these Members' Days to enable us to show our group layout, Henmore - but not any more. After being featured in Railway Modeller and appearing at the York Show a couple of years ago, two boards were damaged whilst being dismantled and that brought forward our plans for some improvements. We also learnt that gravity is stronger than wood glue and screws when boards are no longer supported! The original plan had been a gradual replacement of 30 year old warped and heavy boards but we decided to go for a new layout. Come and discuss our plans - at last I think we know what we are going to do !

Layout and demo details to follow.

Trade support from the usual suspects - EDM Models, Port Wynnstay Models, Minimum Gauge Models, 7mmNGA Sales, Second Hand and Publications

Plenty of room for other modelling displays, 'bring and buy', layouts, demos etc. Please contact me and let me know if you want to offer something - it doesn't have to be 7mm but we would prefer Narrow Gauge !!

Thanks to Paul at EDM you will find information on his website here

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Admin/Shows/TVG3/tvg3.htm

We hope to see you there

Mike

EDIT to correct the link to Paul's NGTrains / EDM Models site

Not sure how that happened but I guess it's something to do with copying the link from the posting I made last year.

Apologies - thanks Don for pointing it out and of course to Paul for pointing me in the right direction - something he's been doing for over 30 years !!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Don and Paul

Link above now corrected. Had a couple of 'Cottage Industry' traders get in touch and have 4 or 5 layouts lined up but waiting for some details before updating everything.

It could be a very interesting day as I'm away with work for a week and don't get back to Heathrow until the day before - nothing like leaving it to the last minute but I plan to have as much sorted as I can before I go and then leave the details with the rest of the Trent Valley Area Group just in case I get stuck in Botswana . . . . !

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to this, always a friendly event with great bacon cobs. Missed the last one owing to being in a Canadian blizzard all winter. Will be bringing my humble bits of foamboard (unless its raining!). http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96750-easy-low-cost-micro-layout-baseboard-ideas/page-5&do=findComment&comment=2150563

Hope Mike makes it back from Botswana in time. Is it  really only 4 years since the Ixion Hudswell Clarke EP was unveiled at this meeting?  So much has changed since then!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to welcome Moseley Railway Trust & Apedale Valley Light Railway to our little gathering - had an email from their Publicity Officer who actually lives only a mile away and will bring a Photo Display and Information Stand.

Also a local member will bring his O16.5 test track and would welcome any visitors with suitable locos they want to try out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay in updating this - it's been changing day by day but as it's not a formal exhibition I can almost cope with that.

It looks like we might be full . . . . . . . . . :O

Subject to a couple of confirmations and / or further information, it looks like we will have the following attractions

Up the Line - an outstanding First World War layout based in Northern France built by Kevin Hughes and featured as Layout of the Month in the June 2015 issue of British Railway Modelling. Kevin posted many articles in his blog here on RMweb showing how he created the layout and built the stock.

Coxheath Sidings. A small O scale standard gauge layout built in Canada by David Rae whilst recovering from a broken wrist after slipping on ice in frozen Nova Scotia. It had to be built left handed and light weight to move it around with one functioning arm. David is now fully recovered and recently returned to the UK with the layout following in a container a few weeks later. Expect to see the products of Ixion, Minerva and Dapol in use.

The Yard by Chris Pearce. A small 36 inch (one yard!) layout built in an Ikea APA box with lots of shunting movements as stock is moved around the yard serving a small factory. Featured in Narrow Lines June 2015.

Mydraw Works by John Hill. A similar layout to the one above but built into an old drawer featuring a loco works with a variety of stock on display.

West Midlands Modules. Our friends from down the road are resting their On30 layout for a while and are now concentrating on a modular 0-16.5 layout which seems to change each time it gets mentioned so it will be a surprise to us all if it arrives, fits together and works !

Paul Martin of EDM models will bring his 16.5mm and 14mm test track to demonstrate his kits and any stock brought along by our visitors.

Local member David Tillett will also bring a 16.5mm test track for visitors to use.

Frank Sharp is continuing his loco building clinic started at the Bradford event in November. Hopefully his four victims will be able to show us some progress on their projects.

Keith Gilliver will have a display of both scratch built and kit built rail mounted military guns.

Ian Thompson will be building 7mm scale trams from plasticard

David Wright (Dovedale Models) demonstrates his techniques for buildings and scenery. Books and DVDs available.

Moseley Railway Trust and Apedale Light Railway - photographic display and information

EDM Models. Paul will have his narrow gauge loco kits for sale plus standard gauge locos from Ixion and Minerva along with DCC sound equipment, building kits, American rolling stock as well as a number of detailing parts.

Port Wynnstay Models. Phil produces a great variety of resin kits for us in both Narrow Gauge and Standard Gauge. Many built up examples will be on display.

Minimum Gauge Models. Allen designs and sells etch brass kits for those modelling the minimum gauges such as O-9

James Corsi has a small range of laser cut wooden rolling stock kits including a L&B brake van.

Local member David Lenton will have a small number of loco and stock storage boxes for sale.

7mm Narrow Gauge Association sales - Modelling Goods, Secondhand and Publications

The snow has all gone and so we hope to see you all on Saturday 30th

Mike and the Trent Valley Area Group

• RMweb Premium

This looks like a great first event of the year as ever with a fine line-up of layouts, demos & maker/traders.

Anyone waning to see a Minerva Peckett on Coxheath Sidings is welcome to bring one..or your Ixion or Dapol loco for that matter!

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reminder Don...think we are all ready and prepped to go at the crack of sparrow f*rt on Saturday morning; just need to keep all the fingers crossed that Mike makes it back from Botswana in time as he's the man with the plan!

• RMweb Premium

Just home from business trip to Botswana. Tried to post last night from the lounge at Johannesburg Airport but their WiFi was !%&* and although I sent the same message 3 times it just wouldn't upload.

Anyway - now I'm back my job is to try and work out where to fit everyone - I'm sure it will all be OK once I start moving tables around the place. It's all in my head at the moment and so I suppose I should write it down - don't think I have had to do a proper plan before . . . . . . . .

See you in the morning (and/or at Bristol on Sunday with EDM)

Mike

Archived