Waterside or Presfix transfers

Guest 40-something

Which water slide or Presfix transfers are the closest match for BR A4s?

Its usually best to take the full number off and replace with a full set.  Modelmaster do waterslide made up number and name plate sets

Your question is an interesting one and at risk of sounding awkward the answer is both or neither.

BR steam numbering was to a fixed format, with some clearly specified variations. So an A4 would have 10 inch high numbers, being an Eastern Region loco, and these were in cream. Some Regions had 8 inch high numbers, to give one example of a variation.

The Pressfix sheet gives both 8 and 10 inch options, as I'm sure do Modelmaster and other transfer suppliers such as Fox.

If your question is which manufacturer produces  transfers that most closely match the ones on my model, so that I only need to change one or two digits, it first begs the question of whether you are Bachmann or Hornby. Amazingly perhaps, the heights are not always just the same, nor is the shade of cream. For perfection you may well need to take the lot off and start again as Joe says, but if you can live with a small disparity, or the loco is to be weathered, then it may be OK just to change the relevant digits. For what its worth I've found the Pressfix much more satisfactory for this kind of exercise, as there is no carrier film, and hence no issue of the Halo effect or silvering. It is sometimes possible to adjust for small variances in height by, for example, slightly teasing out or compressing a 3 or a 9, or chopping a small sliver off a 1 or a 7 if they're too big.

John.

Hi SD

It seemed obvious to me at the time but I had to change a couple of numerals on a Bachmann Patriot and I used Pressfix Waterslide - not only for the new numbers but also on top of the numbers that were unchanged.  This seemed to me to be the only sure way of getting all the numbers the same shade.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Archived