S&C steam loco database 1948-1968

sjp23480

• RMweb Gold

I have taken advantage of some downtime to complete a long standing project.

I have compiled a database of the BR steam motive power that was photographed on the S&C in the period 1948-68. The sources include some 30 books and websites like the David Hey collection and Flickr.

I won't claim it to be comprehensive, but it might be a useful source for specific engines or classes that worked the line.

The records include loco class, number, name, date of photo, location, train duty, source reference.

It's in Access but have yet to figure out how to make it available more widely. I am open to suggestion as to the best way of sharing it?

In the meantime, I can check it if you have a specific question?

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Stephen, that sounds like an excellent project.

I have a number of large, non-railway databases written on Access in the late 1990s. I used to use Office Professional, but have been without (access to) it since I retired, rendering a lot of my work inaccessible (NO puns intended). The free software Libre Office allows some features to be invoked, but not all.

So, even circulating the material as an Access database might mean many couldn't make the most of your efforts, but - whatever could be viewed - would be appreciated by many on here.

You will no doubt get a sensible reply from a more computer-savvy member in the near future.

I for one would love to see your work and I'm sure many will feel the same.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Great idea

Ive a question for you... Did a north eastern Q6 ever run on the line?

Cheers

Ben

Sorry Ben,

I've not come across any photos of a Q6 (or any Qx classes) on the S&C. Or, for that matter on the Hawes branch, at least as far as Hawes/Garsdale. I have seen Qx classes further down the line towards Northallerton, hauling quarry traffic from Leyburn.

Guess you will need to exercise your modellers license! :-)

Stephen

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is a terrific project sip. As I model the S&C questions frequently crop up re "was a xxxxxx ever seen on the S&C. I can't seem to access the file in peach James reply and I don't know you get into access. Any other ways I can view or get a copy of this please?

Archived