BRM February + FREE DVD

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Here’s a run-down on what’s inside the February 2016 issue of BRM. This issue is available to download as a Digital Edition now and will be on-sale in shops from January 7th. As always, every issue comes with a free DVD (streamed for Digital Edition readers) complete with Building Kit download (Parts 1 & 2) in OO, O and N gauges.

We hope you enjoy the magazine.

Steve

post-14186-0-06313200-1452072677.jpg

FREE 30-minute DVD for every reader

Kirkwood – West Riding area in the 1950s

Phil Parker on adding lights to your free card kit

Tried & Tested: Sparmax airbrush and compressor kit

Behind the scenes at Scale Model World

FREE CARD KIT DOWNLOADS (Parts 1&2) IN OO, N and O gauge

The February 2016 issue is packed with great layouts, modelling ideas and projects to inspire you over the winter months. Here's what you'll find in this 156-page magazine:

THREE great layouts:

Horfield (OO gauge, BR Western Region 1955-61)

Kirkwood (O gauge, BR Eastern Region 1956/57)

Croydon North Street (OO gauge, Southern Region 1980s)

NEW! BRM Trackplan Archive!

Our new monthly series, offering a range of Trackplans for you to cut-out-and-keep. This month we include:

Tates (OO/OO9)

Dunkow Road (N)

Apethorn Junction (O)

PRACTICAL BRM

Fit lights to your free card kit

Beat brass kit problems

Graham Farish Class 55 upgrade

Make your own display case

Build a wagon kit in 2mm finescale

NEWS/REVIEWS        

The big stories and announcements from Warley 2015, plus Ben Jones examines Dapol’s new OO gauge Class 73, whilst Andy York reviews the O gauge Peckett 0-4-0ST from Minerva Models.

PLUS

Kineton – Leamington & Warwick MRS’s new exhibition layout

Doncaster 2016 20th Anniversary Picture Gallery

Inside Track with Paul Lunn

BRM meets…Locomotion

Prototype Inspiration: Class 73s

Diary Dates

Tail Lamp

Hope you all enjoy it!

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I have tried to stream the 'DVD' and d/l this month's part of the building. Win10 PC, fully updated.

I also tried to print a page from the mag using the print icon. The icon starts the print routine but crashes as soon as I hit Print. Tried three times.

Emailed Pocketmags last night and had a very prompt reply this morning, totally useless but fast :scratchhead: 

I tried to paste the reply here but it doesn't paste. The reply was that digital magazines don't come with the extra materials and some mags don't allow prints. If they do there is an icon at the bottom of the screen. I had named BRM yet he couldn't be bothered to check, also I already had explained at what point in using the icon it failed, showing he didn't even bother to think!

Anybody from BRM care to comment or help? Is there any other way to get a digital copy of BRM? I don't want to use Pocketmags after this example of customer 'service' 

Hi Andy,

Please advice me how to download the free kit shown in the January 2016 issue of BRM.

I must be going wrong somewhere along the line, I cannot find a link on the disc supplied

or on the modelrailwayscenery.com site.

I use Window7.

Should I be entering a access code, if yes I can't see it (is it a wood for the trees thing?).

Very disappointed with all this palaver. Surly it can't be this difficult or is it me! 

On positive note I enjoyed the DVD and the construction overview Phil gave.

Cheers for any help given.

A Happy New Year to All.

Regards

Avocet

Hi Andy,

Please advice me how to download the free kit shown in the January 2016 issue of BRM.

I've sent you a PM which you should be able to access from the little envelope icon up towards the top right in the black bar.

Hi Andy and the team,

Im enjoying the Feb BRM and just afforded myself 10 mins or so to watch the DVD this evening-most enjoyable-although the thought of being in the second month of 2016 was a little alarming!

Circling back to comments I made over the past couple of months re the content in BRM, the state of the hobby and in reply to Tail Lamp et al, it was good to see Howard and Phil's segment on the IPMS show. I used to dabble in military modelling and recently as a long term, side project, my partner and I are building a couple of RC boats as 'light relief'. My painting techniques, weathering etc all come from military modelling, RC boats, cars, aircraft and plastic kits. Over the past 4-5 years I have also used products from suppliers who supply finishing products for those who model automotive kits/models (on the DVD, as Howard also discovered at IPMS). I also use artists products too. I found the comments from the 'Eileen's' team seemed to strike a chord, especially those re finishing and painting being better in other modelling types. It was also interesting to see, in accord with my previous comments, re youngsters' love of Thomas the Tank Engine and Preserved/Restored Railways (and toy/model railways?), with Howard speaking with Airfix who were providing free kits for youngsters to get involved. Also of note was how popular (busy) and diverse the IPMS show was, very encouraging to see that creative hobbies are, apparently thriving.

Comments re brass etch and the like making its way into plastic kit building seems to ring true, the three boats kits we have all have brass etch parts either within or as add-on super detail kits. My good friend Chris 'B', a fine ship and boat modeller (from scratch), tells me that he used to use, IIRC, litho type foils (waste from the printing industry?) for super-detailing parts-all detailed from scratch. Now there are companies who supply similar from NS or brass etch, for AFVs, aircraft and ship plastic kits etc. What plastic kit companies seem to have handle on, as do their supporters, is the appropriate use of multi-media parts/materials so as to get the best looking models, with the industry standard once being Tamiya, Airfix et al are now often on a par or better. In the world of model railway kits, in terms of quality including instructions, JLTRT are the industry standard in many respects. Of course super-detailing and quality of finish for a static museum quality model is one thing, with a hard working layout model other issues have to be considered for longevity etc.

I realise that 'Starwars' may be more in vogue than the desire to be an engine driver these days, yet I think that there is still mileage in our hobby yet, especially if we learn from other modelling disciplines and adapt such accordingly, as well as move with the times. I also think that we are, as 40 and 50 somethings, 'custodians' of the hobby for future generations and that the hobby of railway modelling need not stop with us!

Thanks for an informative and thought provoking DVD-the new look mag looks great too.

Kind regards,

CME

• RMweb Premium

I posted a few days ago regarding the failure of the video to stream, the symbol doesn't change when I run the mouse over it. I have checked the January issue which worked and it also now does not.

Would someone please confirm if these streams work for them.

Thanks to Andy I was enable to d/l the building file, not from the magazine though.

Thanks.

Having just picked up a printed version of the magazine, my first comment regards the "work in progress editorial comment", I like the changes that are being done to the magazine, and I will look forwards to the next few issues. Secondly we seem to have got some extras for (the) card building kit, as a hard copy - the extras being some signs, doors and windows, and sheet metal and plywood "boarded up doors" sheets.

:good:

I bought my February issue in a local newsagents. I got the magazine, the DVD stuck on the front and a Hattons insert. I have no qualms about downloading the kit parts each month. Today I called in W H Smith and found the February issue on sale there in a plastic bag. As well as the magazine and DVD there were printed card sheets of part 2 of the kit, because of the bag I couldn't see if part 1 was there too. I wonder if the apparent confusion and upset is because there is a different issue for W H Smith?

• Administrators

In the world of model railway kits, in terms of quality including instructions, JLTRT are the industry standard in many respects. Of course super-detailing and quality of finish for a static museum quality model is one thing, with a hard working layout model other issues have to be considered for lengevity etc.

I think this is an important point. There is a standard refrain from railway modellers that we ought to look to the military modellers for painting and weathering techniques as they are soooo much better than ours. However, I don't think the gulf is as great as is often suggested – because the people saying it haven't looked properly at a model since magazines started printing in colour.

If you look at the amazing effort that goes into a small diorama, there's no way we could do the same for a layout tens of times the size, at least not if we wanted to finish it in a sensible time. Also, we tend to work in much smaller scales and those mega techniques don't always scale down (I only wash 3mm wagons with weathering colour as I found 4mm techniques didn't look right). If you want to spend a week adding mud to a tank track, you do it in 1/32nd so people can see it!

The other point is that our models generally work and in the whole of Telford, I didn't see anything move.

At the end of the day, these are related but different hobbies. I love going to the IPMS show and have been a regular for many years. Having said that not all the techniques transfer, I still love looking at top quality workmanship and some of the stuff on display is inspirational.

The footage you see on the DVD is only a small section of what we shot. There wasn't time to edit everything down. However, this was an experiment. If you like it, we can go and do this again. All shooting was hand-held by either myself or Howard. We hadn't lined up anything in advance. The Eileens Emporium team were pounced on for a quick interview and were brilliant. We could certainly do more in the future, although a stick microphone would be a useful addition to the kit.

So, if this works, where else could we go? I'm thinking that a model engineering show would also be relevant but what about others?

If you want to see more of the IPMS show, I have some photo galleries on-line:

• RMweb Gold

I also picked up a copy at the local newsagent but no card kit parts, maybe one of the good people at BRM could explain this?

The card kit is a download see below.  

Hi all,

Here’s a run-down on what’s inside the February 2016 issue of BRM. This issue is available to download as a Digital Edition now and will be on-sale in shops from January 7th. As always, every issue comes with a free DVD (streamed for Digital Edition readers) complete with Building Kit download (Parts 1 & 2) in OO, O and N gauges.

We hope you enjoy the magazine.

Steve

From the above I assume it is on the DVD but can't confirm as still waiting for my subscription copy to arrive!!

• Administrators

Interesting point in the 2mm kit built 16T mineral saying that 2mm modellers rewheel N gauge models and N gauge modellers sometimes rewheel their models with 2mm axles. Is that how it reads to anyone else? :)

From this page: http://www.2mm.org.uk/standards.htm

"Many 1:148 modellers (British N scale) use at 9.42mm gauge, with track and wheels to the 2FS standard"

I'm not a 2mm scale modeller so I have to take the Society at face value, however you'll notice that the Kineton project in the same issue is being modelled in N, 9.42mm gauge, 2FS. I've seen the test pieces of track and they ain't Peco!

I've seen the test pieces of track and they ain't Peco!

There is fine looking N gauge (the N stands for nine as in 9mm track gauge) track available that isn't Peco. For example Atlas code 55 and Finetrax code 40 as well as some layouts having hand built 9mm gauge track.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I bought the magazine on Friday, which is the first time in a long time and I was impressed with the changes.

The content seems to have got more "wordy" and less pictures with captions, which is a step in the right direction for me.

The whole magazine was a very enjoyable read, in the past I've probably read one or two articles and skimmed the rest (easy to do when everything was picture heavy)

I'm looking forward to next month's already!

• Administrators

There is fine looking N gauge (the N stands for nine as in 9mm track gauge) track available that isn't Peco. For example Atlas code 55 and Finetrax code 40 as well as some layouts having hand built 9mm gauge track.

G.

As I say, I have seen the test peices of track and they are not only not Peco, they aren't Atlas either. I don't want to steal the thunder of the guys building the layout so you'll have to wait for future articles where they explain how they plan to provide the track . Suffice to say it looks very impressive.

• RMweb Gold

Bee jack, thank you for your reply to my posting. Unfortunately I could and should have worded my question better. When asking about the kit it was in relation to the posting by Mike Oliver who had seen the kit in Smiths with printed card sheets for part two with it as against that in local newsagents which have the kit on the DVD.

Mike

I think the style changes work really well and appreciate the more detailed captions remaining. One of your competitors is going the other way at the moment and it's not working for me. Love Horfield too - one of my fave layouts at Warley despite me being a post 80s modeller normally. The article was a bit different too -agree with sentiment of article but could have been even better with a bit more detail on what could improve presentation further. Based on what I saw at Warley, these guys do know how to present a layout well at a show.

M

I think this is an important point. There is a standard refrain from railway modellers that we ought to look to the military modellers for painting and weathering techniques as they are soooo much better than ours. However, I don't think the gulf is as great as is often suggested – because the people saying it haven't looked properly at a model since magazines started printing in colour.

If you look at the amazing effort that goes into a small diorama, there's no way we could do the same for a layout tens of times the size, at least not if we wanted to finish it in a sensible time. Also, we tend to work in much smaller scales and those mega techniques don't always scale down (I only wash 3mm wagons with weathering colour as I found 4mm techniques didn't look right). If you want to spend a week adding mud to a tank track, you do it in 1/32nd so people can see it!

The other point is that our models generally work and in the whole of Telford, I didn't see anything move.

At the end of the day, these are related but different hobbies. I love going to the IPMS show and have been a regular for many years. Having said that not all the techniques transfer, I still love looking at top quality workmanship and some of the stuff on display is inspirational.

The footage you see on the DVD is only a small section of what we shot. There wasn't time to edit everything down. However, this was an experiment. If you like it, we can go and do this again. All shooting was hand-held by either myself or Howard. We hadn't lined up anything in advance. The Eileens Emporium team were pounced on for a quick interview and were brilliant. We could certainly do more in the future, although a stick microphone would be a useful addition to the kit.

So, if this works, where else could we go? I'm thinking that a model engineering show would also be relevant but what about others?

If you want to see more of the IPMS show, I have some photo galleries on-line:

Hi Phil,

Nice to hear from you again.

I couldnt agree more, I have long held those beliefs too, our models work and are handled, so we have to adapt accordingly.

I will have a look at those photos when I get a minute or two - thanks for Posting.

BTW I attend engineering shows too with the SM32 side of things etc - its all healthy stuff so as to gain insights and knowledge as well as another perspective.

Kindest regards,

CME

• RMweb Gold

From this page: http://www.2mm.org.uk/standards.htm

"Many 1:148 modellers (British N scale) use at 9.42mm gauge, with track and wheels to the 2FS standard"

I'm not a 2mm scale modeller so I have to take the Society at face value, however you'll notice that the Kineton project in the same issue is being modelled in N, 9.42mm gauge, 2FS. I've seen the test pieces of track and they ain't Peco!

I understand the concept but I'm struggling finding the difference.

Archived