GWR Autocoach Buffers

• 2 years later...

Rich

Comet did some buffers as part of their Hawksworth Autocoach kit but they don't seem to be listed separately.

Similarly, there are some in the Dart Castings Autocoach detailing kit but again not listed separately.

It might be worth asking either/both if they could be made available separately.  In the past MJT/Dart have let me have just the castings from the Autocoach detaining kit.

Good luck!

Jeremy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fingers crossed someone can come forward with the required details, maybe one of the Didcot guys can help?

the short B Set would be useful as well. I can put the project on hold for the time being in the hope a part emerges

The Dart Castings kit doesn’t come with buffers (or at least mine didn’t), comet will be worth a call but if LMS end up doing it that’s definitely the preference.

Thanks

Rich

• Like 1

This is a drawing, but I'm not quite sure at the moment whether it is the[/drawing

Miss P there must be another drawing for the other end of the buffer beam as the buffer shank is vertically off centre w/r/t the four fixing holes? This means what is shown can only be used on one side of the coach

Tim T

Miss P there must be another drawing for the other end of the buffer beam as the buffer shank is vertically off centre w/r/t the four fixing holes? This means what is shown can only be used on one side of the coach

Tim T

Correct. I'm not sure there was another drawing as such, merely that the pattern for the housing was mirrored in the casting shop to produce right-hand and left-hand versions. Having said that, the drawing is 28493A, so there could have been a 28493B

Edited by Miss Prism

I think the 'treadless' buffer stocks may have been used only on the initial Gloucester SRMs. Strange that they didn't use standard Swindon castings, unless Swindon forgot to update its drawing(s). Anyway, the step was standard for in-service vehicles as far as I can see, so here is a drawing showing its approximate shape and position.

post-133-0-31980700-1544393398_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-47541600-1544393450.jpg

I can't see the buffers being available being available from the 247 Developments website, so would welcome Dave Franks having a go.

It's a great shame to lose the David Geen resource.

So, does the Autocoach have the same buffer as the steam rail motor?  The drawing does mention trailer cars but are they Autocoaches?

Also can you read the dimensions on the original drawing Miss Prism.

Dave Franks

So, does the Autocoach have the same buffer as the steam rail motor?  The drawing does mention trailer cars but are they Autocoaches?

Also can you read the dimensions on the original drawing Miss Prism.

I'm 99% certain the SRMs and autocoaches/autotrailers had the same buffer patterns.

My posts contain the best jpg scan I had, and I don't know where I got it from. There isn't a single dimension I can read with certainty - if there had been something, I would have put a scale on the drawing. Maybe Pete S will be along soon to put us out of our misery. I will make enquiries with GWS drawings archive.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Russell's volumes it appears the earliest matchboard sided SRMs & trailers had buffers without the step (excluding obviously the flat fronted ones).

By the time the panelled ones arrived they had the step, which was presumably retro-fitted to the older ones.

Anybody seen these?

https://invertrain.com/product/gwr-autocoach-buffers/

Sorry they're 7mm!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I'm 99% certain the SRMs and autocoaches/autotrailers had the same buffer patterns.

My posts contain the best jpg scan I had, and I don't know where I got it from. There isn't a single dimension I can read with certainty - if there had been something, I would have put a scale on the drawing. Maybe Pete S will be along soon to put us out of our misery. I will make enquiries with GWS drawings archive.

Mine's not much better as it's from the same source as yours:—

post-26141-0-71887400-1544402394_thumb.gif

Poring through the NRM's 'OPC' List gets the following:—

Microfilm aperture card - 13402, Buffer & housing for Steam Rail Cars & Trailers (under 70')  1910

Microfilm aperture card - 13403, Large buffer & housing for 70' Steam Rail Cars & Trailers

So apparently there were differences - Swindon Standardisation strikes again!

If someone wants to gamble £15 (£7.50 each) for a proper digital version, the order form lives here:—

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-10/1%20Microfilm%20Order%20Form%202018%2010.pdf

Pete S.

• RMweb Premium

C494 is 247 Developments reference for the Autocoach buffers

(I have a packet for my K's kit after damaging the originals!)

Unfortunately I can't check on the 247 site as it appears to be broken.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

C494 is 247 Developments reference for the Autocoach buffers

(I have a packet for my K's kit after damaging the originals!)

Unfortunately I can't check on the 247 site as it appears to be broken.

Keith

Just looked on the 247 website and they're no longer listed.

Tim T

Dragging up an ons thread, other than Dave Geen does anyone else make autocoach buffers?

I have a nearly finished detailed Airfix autocoach that is in need of buffers

Just looked in in the bottomless pit of a spare castings box and found this set if of any use.

I also have a wreck of an Airfix autocoach body/underframe I bought/robbed for the bogies ( now under a BSL E111) with two buffers intact.

post-9992-0-23008300-1544483591.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I was trying to open the full catalogue but there doesn't seem to be an associated hyperlink on the website to do it.

Keith

Keith, if you click on the “Catalogue” link from the home page you can open a pdf version from there?

Tim T