GWR Autocoach Buffers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim

All I get is this and no links to go anywhere else:

attachicon.gif247.JPG

Keith

Good grief! That’s worse than I get using Safari on a Macbook. At least I do get symbols where the icons are supposed to be.

I suppose somebody should tell Brian that his webpage doesn’t work correctly with all browsers?

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

FYI it works on Edge OK . 

It also works in IE but not in Firefox

The hyperlinks are just not there with Firefox.

At the rate Firefox usage is descending it will soon disappear so looks like MS's new Windows integrated Chromium browser will be the way, especially now "Edge" has been dropped.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

It also works in IE but not in Firefox

The hyperlinks are just not there with Firefox.

At the rate Firefox usage is descending it will soon disappear so looks like MS's new Windows integrated Chromium browser will be the way, especially now "Edge" has been dropped.

Keith

The odd thing is I can't get RMWeb to work properly on chrome Andy Y advise me to use Edge is RMWeb drivers if that's what they are called outdated?

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a nicely made kit of an A28 on eBay but it's got two broken/missing buffers.  I can't seem to find anywhere that makes or sells spares in 4mm. Any ideas? Or does anyone have any unwanted spares I could buy?

It looks like the Dart Castings detailing kit no longer contains buffers.  The 247 Components catalogue is here https://www.247developments.co.uk/4mm Cat September 2020.pdf but none listed.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I also have several auto trailers in need of replacement buffers and have been unable to source any.  I went as far as asking Wizard, who market the Comet A38, but was told they are unable to supply the buffers separately.  It sounds like an ideal 3D print project, and my next approach will be to explore that avenue; I have no idea of what is required but I assume it would be a buffer/housing assembly complete with the attaching plate to be scanned and reproduced, that would have to be sent to the printer for his machine to scan into a digital file, which would then be used to print the buffers.

Watch this space, I'll let you all know how I get on, eventually.

43 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I also have several auto trailers in need of replacement buffers and have been unable to source any.  I went as far as asking Wizard, who market the Comet A38, but was told they are unable to supply the buffers separately.  It sounds like an ideal 3D print project, and my next approach will be to explore that avenue; I have no idea of what is required but I assume it would be a buffer/housing assembly complete with the attaching plate to be scanned and reproduced, that would have to be sent to the printer for his machine to scan into a digital file, which would then be used to print the buffers.

Watch this space, I'll let you all know how I get on, eventually.

If you have decent drawings (or dimensioned sketches) and some photos, I can arrange the prints. They would be the buffer guides and mounts, to take turned-metal heads and rams.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

If you have decent drawings (or dimensioned sketches) and some photos, I can arrange the prints. They would be the buffer guides and mounts, to take turned-metal heads and rams.

The heads might be a problem due to their shape & size.

The 70' trailer buffer heads look wider than the 59' 6" trailer buffer heads

• RMweb Gold

If I can find a source of suitable buffer heads (for 59'6" underframed coaches) I will be in touch with you Guy.  Ideally I was looking for a complete buffer, from the mounting plate to the buffer head inclusive, sprung would be a bonus but I don't expect that on a 3D print.  I appreciate that a finer edge to the buffer head can be achieved with a turned metal part, but the shape of these means that they will be more likely to be cast whitemetal anyway. 

This of course leads with the inevitability of a Greek tragedy to my next question; anyone know where I can source 4mm scale buffer heads?

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Just checked 51L; they do elliptical heads to go over normal 13" heads to convert them to elliptical buffer heads, which might be what I need if I can source buffer housings. 

It's almost cheaper and certainly easier to buy donor Airfix type trailers on 'Bay...

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It's almost cheaper and certainly easier to buy donor Airfix type trailers on 'Bay...

Possibly, but then the buffers will just break again. Metal is needed for the thinnest bits.

This is why I don't normally print buffer heads and rams: they would be too fragile.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You’re right, of course; metal is best for heads and shafts, machined as a single piece or the whole caboodle cast complete with the housing.  Metal can be worked to a finer edge for the heads as well. 

And of course buying donor trailers doesn’t work either as I tend to end up wanting to work them up and put them into service...

• Funny 2