Christleton Junction - 1986 - Gateway to North Wales

I use a milled brass thing that I've had for years - think it came from the EM gauge society.  A quick search turns up loads of OO ones.  Most wheelsets are only an interference fit on the axle, so I just give 'em a twist and move them along the axle to suit.  I've got a philistine's digital micrometer to check that the wheels end up central on the axle, and generally use a blob of loctite to secure the wheels afterwards.  Does rely on getting the wheelsets out of the stock though...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There has been lots of progress over the last couple of weeks, but not much tangible to report until now. I've sorted out a good number of running issues with both track and rolling stock. I have even managed to get my Hornby 08 running somewhat closer to acceptably. I think its problems were caused by two main issues: poor pick-ups and a dubious fit between the bearings and the frames. The latter issue caused the coupling rods to get slightly out of sync resulting in a limp, which made the pick up issue even worse. It is slightly hampered by the DCC chip insisting on restarting the sound sequence each time the power cuts momentarily, so without a lot of momentum the loco stops and restarts again. Having sorted the bearing and the pick-ups, a drop of electro-lube should have it working well. I haven't bought any electro-lube yet as I'm trying to go a whole month without ordering anything online, so for now it is running ok with the promise of improvement to come!

I have spent a few nights building a back log of Metcalfe factory type kits, something I find incredibly relaxing. The most recent kit was a brewery bought second hand without all the parts and no instructions, however the kits are so well thought out it went together very well. This has allowed me to play around with what is effectively a 3D backscene. My latest arrangement is shown in the pictures. It makes a good justification for the speedlink services to come and shunt some vans, as well as dropping off diesel for the refuelling point. As the brewery siding and fuelling sidings are opposite ways there's some good shunting to be done. 

The first picture shows a general overview of the factory. The left hand side is raised above the baseboard framing, there will be a retaining wall along the front that will carry on around the back of the diesel depot.

IMG_1933.jpg.b39add7d21083524ba63ded2b809a515.jpg

Next is a three quarter view of the brewery. The 25 is on a Westbound speedlink service from Warrington to North Wales. It has dropped the two vans in the brewery's private siding before shunting a tanker out to leave for the depot. The tanker will be shunted down to the fuelling point by one of the shunters later. The buildings are quite a tight fit against the longer siding, so I'll paint the wall white (and then weather it) to remind track workers of the tight clearance. I'll probably board up some of the lower windows as they would get far too dirty to allow any light in. I may have the factory manager's young sons leaning out of his office window trying to cop everything stabled on Blueback depot.

Perhaps most pleasing of all is reversing a long loose coupled freight train through several ends of points including 2 double slips (although it didn't go faultlessly the first time!).

IMG_1934.jpg.001e58b73c41875685fc017e986b59d2.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, at the far end of town (where the grickle grass grows), the track for White Lane sidings has been laid. It is with much relief that each siding holds 4 coaches! 

This adds a new dimension to the layout that the previous version didn’t have. It means that Christleton can cater for terminating (rather than reversing) trains, as well as strengthening sets etc. 

There’s a current discussion with the union about the stabling of DMUs at White Lane, and the outcome will probably be dependent on what facilities can be provided for train crews. 

57ABB687-79B0-492F-A8EB-82B9AE7E109D.jpeg.068a4b4033fba8ef041d6384f91908db.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A little more progress around the brewery and depot over the weekend, with some retaining walls made and placed in their prospective positions. Luckily they are not glued in position as I've realised the one next to the factory needs to be higher to stop people falling out of the raised yard in the factory! There are a few more pieces to make to help it look more convincing, as well as straightening the lean out of some of the buildings. I also need to paint that wooden upright (or somehow disguise it).

IMG_1955.jpg.32e0a024b135c5d378260fe04d31870d.jpg

A view down the yard as a 37 shunts the speedlink service at the brewery. A class 108 DMU is about to leave for LLandudno whilst the 03 is on station pilot duties sorting out some empty vans dropped off by a Holyhead to Scotland mail service.

IMG_1956.jpg.b97a95690080de1b4841eb60b33c139b.jpg

It's all about peaks really! A pair of no heat peaks - on the right (soon to be ETH fitted) 45/0 awaits the green flag on a Holyhead to Newcastle trans-pennine service, whist a fellow class mate backs down on to a relief service for the coast.

IMG_1960.jpg.fdd7d067f933118c4d46bd4e4efd8f87.jpg

The Newcastle service gets away, a brief blast of power before coasting through the station throat. The driver will open up again shortly around the Chester curve.

IMG_1962.jpg.a40451d9d104776e53dabb8503f58dc5.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

C186795A-36AA-40BF-ADC0-D91824F34C18.jpeg.e6a2b784417ff6324f3504e4e368549a.jpegA slightly better view of the yard. Amazing the difference natural light makes. 

And a photo of the 03s new pick ups on its match truck. Quite a simple job and a world of difference to its performance. The wires are quite simple to route from the wagon, through the buffer beams and on to the existing copper strip. 

1FAA48D5-70D9-4A8D-94F2-3DDB34829C0E.jpeg.912e2725356836fc11c0c1598b3e3a18.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2020 at 17:21, BenW said:

What’s going in the hole between the tracks in front of White Lane CS?

That's where the raised Chester lines meet the Warrington lines viaduct. Should be easy to model (!).

• RMweb Premium

With the layout running and being able to see trains moving for the first time in 2 years, most of the time I find to spend with the railway is spent operating it. At heart I'm much more of an operator than a modeller I think! In between trains I am tinkering around with various bits whilst I work out a plan for which jobs I'm going to put off next; platforms and ballasting really ought to be up there.

Meanwhile I have several other little things going on at the moment. Firstly the yard area is progressing, mainly everything is loosely placed whilst I figure out what I want it to look like. I have got a 'box of bits' donated to me by my father and I've placed a couple of lamps and accessories in the brewery yard. It's amazing how a couple of little touches changes the whole feel of the place.

A couple of pictures of the brewery: handily I found some lamps in North Eastern blue, which exactly match the Metcalfe brewery paintwork (I doubt that this is a coincidence), but it does point to a nice little colour scheme that I can use to hark back to my routes

IMG_1968.jpg.8b088770012be5cf09425b0e7a8c2b0a.jpg

I really need to paint the handful of shiny soldered joints that seem to glare so much stronger in a photo! The wooden upright has been disguised with some white hardboard and looks a lot neater. Next job in this area is to weather the walls before gluing them in place. I am trying to find some scale floodlights to help illuminate the dark corners, ideally they need to be 300mm high or so (I did wonder about the old subbuteo ones, but they are far from scale and now fetch a king's ransom on the auction site). The ongoing debate about DMU stabling continues, with the photo below showing an alternative option, which will hold 4 cars, so about the same as down at White Land Sidings. I have also realised where I left my track rubber! A better weight is required for the match truck...

IMG_1974.jpg.7255f3ec06e013ab90a156944835084b.jpg

My next little project is back to the old subject of couplings. Having run the layout for a while I still like the use of 3 link couplings; they work really well for the freight and the locos look a world better with a proper screw coupling hanging down. I've been playing with fitting coaching stock for a while and I have one Mk1 set with a hook at each end. They look good, particularly at the back of a train with a dummy buckeye hanging down, but they come with two drawbacks, coupling and the gap. To enable the hooks to be useful they have to stick out so far beyond the corridor connection that the resulting gap is bigger than with tension locks, which results in a lot of slack between loco and stock. I could put a screw coupling on the coach and always use the coach's coupling onto the loco, but that's not a great solution as it spoils the look of them. If I could find a way of compressing the spring behind the buffer beam, such that the hook protrudes forward for coupling up, that might work, although I can't come up with a working mechanism for this. 

The latest effort is a simple pin protruding through the coach's corridor connection, the close up photo shows how it looks. Painted the same colour as the door it will be almost invisible at any kind of distance. There are then two photos to show a close up of the different appearances. The corridor pin is definitely closer, but looks a little odd close up. I need to get my regular operators to have a go and see what they think. It is fairly easy to couple up and importantly a doddle to unhook, which is always tricky at the ends of platforms 3 and 4. It seems to work better with the class 25 and class 37 which have Smith's screw couplings on them; the 33 was bought second hand and whatever make of coupling it has on has a smaller loop on the shackle making it more awkward to hook up.

IMG_1971.jpg.e8b2cbfc44d010563d19d7b24a1d65fe.jpgIMG_1972.jpg.3442c9f5f74fca8b4c9e86f79dddfcfc.jpgIMG_1973.jpg.791326491de990f48828792201ed4acd.jpg

This was followed by something I haven't yet tried, coupling a 3 link over the top of a tension lock. The 37 took a turn on the liners and it works without issue. This could help as an interim solution whilst all the loco fleet are fitted with screw couplings. Fitting all the coach ends with a pin should be cheap and easy. I hope it means in the future that stock such as BGs can be dual fitted with both pin and kadee. GUVs can have a kadee and proper hook, as they don't have a corridor connection in the way (I am now wondering if GUVs were buckeye fitted...).

IMG_1979.jpg.09b6940252d24afc1022a2c605a01f02.jpg

Finally, a couple of pictures from last night's running session. A stabled 85 sits on the electric siding whilst a 25 runs around a speedlink service. The bridge mock up is probably too high, although I do like high buildings on a railway, I think they make the trains look smaller and therefore less dominant. The bridge will have quite a sweep on it to avoid the road ending in a cliff edge and may not even feature a bus.

IMG_1984.jpg.5c430f405b7326b34ff35d656f15be99.jpg

Looking back from the 25 to the platform ends, where a 47/4 has just brought in a transpennine service. I really like the large logo livery, it's such a shame the 45's didn't last long enough to wear it (someone must have done a model version?). The 03 has brought a parcels set into platform 4, having been shunting down at White Lane, it will wait here for a while until shunt released later. The driver has shut the loco down and popped off to the Quicksnax for a Maxpak coffee; apparently poor spelling made instant coffee taste better in the 80s, before someone thought of putting it in a corrugated cup and charging you a fiver for it.

Looking at this picture shows that the brewery chimney needs to sit against the backscene to reduce the shadow.

IMG_1985.jpg.45eff4d340b074c0b72c3785fc5ab4db.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 61656 said:

With the layout running and being able to see trains moving for the first time in 2 years, most of the time I find to spend with the railway is spent operating it. At heart I'm much more of an operator than a modeller I think! In between trains I am tinkering around with various bits whilst I work out a plan for which jobs I'm going to put off next; platforms and ballasting really ought to be up there.

Meanwhile I have several other little things going on at the moment. Firstly the yard area is progressing, mainly everything is loosely placed whilst I figure out what I want it to look like. I have got a 'box of bits' donated to me by my father and I've placed a couple of lamps and accessories in the brewery yard. It's amazing how a couple of little touches changes the whole feel of the place.

A couple of pictures of the brewery: handily I found some lamps in North Eastern blue, which exactly match the Metcalfe brewery paintwork (I doubt that this is a coincidence), but it does point to a nice little colour scheme that I can use to hark back to my routes

I really need to paint the handful of shiny soldered joints that seem to glare so much stronger in a photo! The wooden upright has been disguised with some white hardboard and looks a lot neater. Next job in this area is to weather the walls before gluing them in place. I am trying to find some scale floodlights to help illuminate the dark corners, ideally they need to be 300mm high or so (I did wonder about the old subbuteo ones, but they are far from scale and now fetch a king's ransom on the auction site). The ongoing debate about DMU stabling continues, with the photo below showing an alternative option, which will hold 4 cars, so about the same as down at White Land Sidings. I have also realised where I left my track rubber! A better weight is required for the match truck...

My next little project is back to the old subject of couplings. Having run the layout for a while I still like the use of 3 link couplings; they work really well for the freight and the locos look a world better with a proper screw coupling hanging down. I've been playing with fitting coaching stock for a while and I have one Mk1 set with a hook at each end. They look good, particularly at the back of a train with a dummy buckeye hanging down, but they come with two drawbacks, coupling and the gap. To enable the hooks to be useful they have to stick out so far beyond the corridor connection that the resulting gap is bigger than with tension locks, which results in a lot of slack between loco and stock. I could put a screw coupling on the coach and always use the coach's coupling onto the loco, but that's not a great solution as it spoils the look of them. If I could find a way of compressing the spring behind the buffer beam, such that the hook protrudes forward for coupling up, that might work, although I can't come up with a working mechanism for this. 

The latest effort is a simple pin protruding through the coach's corridor connection, the close up photo shows how it looks. Painted the same colour as the door it will be almost invisible at any kind of distance. There are then two photos to show a close up of the different appearances. The corridor pin is definitely closer, but looks a little odd close up. I need to get my regular operators to have a go and see what they think. It is fairly easy to couple up and importantly a doddle to unhook, which is always tricky at the ends of platforms 3 and 4. It seems to work better with the class 25 and class 37 which have Smith's screw couplings on them; the 33 was bought second hand and whatever make of coupling it has on has a smaller loop on the shackle making it more awkward to hook up.

IMG_1971.jpg.e8b2cbfc44d010563d19d7b24a1d65fe.jpgIMG_1972.jpg.3442c9f5f74fca8b4c9e86f79dddfcfc.jpgIMG_1973.jpg.791326491de990f48828792201ed4acd.jpg

This was followed by something I haven't yet tried, coupling a 3 link over the top of a tension lock. The 37 took a turn on the liners and it works without issue. This could help as an interim solution whilst all the loco fleet are fitted with screw couplings. Fitting all the coach ends with a pin should be cheap and easy. I hope it means in the future that stock such as BGs can be dual fitted with both pin and kadee. GUVs can have a kadee and proper hook, as they don't have a corridor connection in the way (I am now wondering if GUVs were buckeye fitted...).

IMG_1979.jpg.09b6940252d24afc1022a2c605a01f02.jpg

Finally, a couple of pictures from last night's running session. A stabled 85 sits on the electric siding whilst a 25 runs around a speedlink service. The bridge mock up is probably too high, although I do like high buildings on a railway, I think they make the trains look smaller and therefore less dominant. The bridge will have quite a sweep on it to avoid the road ending in a cliff edge and may not even feature a bus.

IMG_1984.jpg.5c430f405b7326b34ff35d656f15be99.jpg

Looking back from the 25 to the platform ends, where a 47/4 has just brought in a transpennine service. I really like the large logo livery, it's such a shame the 45's didn't last long enough to wear it (someone must have done a model version?). The 03 has brought a parcels set into platform 4, having been shunting down at White Lane, it will wait here for a while until shunt released later. The driver has shut the loco down and popped off to the Quicksnax for a Maxpak coffee; apparently poor spelling made instant coffee taste better in the 80s, before someone thought of putting it in a corrugated cup and charging you a fiver for it.

Looking at this picture shows that the brewery chimney needs to sit against the backscene to reduce the shadow.

IMG_1985.jpg.45eff4d340b074c0b72c3785fc5ab4db.jpg

The layout looks great.

That is an interesting idea you have about using a pin within the corridor connection to provide an accessible hook - I had not thought of that one.  Like you, I don't like using tension lock couplings.  Being a roundy-roundy layout, most of my corridor stock formations are fixed rakes so I have used the Bachmann vac-pipe / Hornby auto-couplers within the sets and 3-link couplings at the ends.  Where an end vehicle is fitted with a corridor connection, i generally use the 3-link coupling on the vehicle and attach that to the hook on the loco - not prototypical but it is easier than the alternative.  Nearly all the goods stock is fitted with 3-link couplings, which is fine until I attempt to propel a 30 wagon train into a refuge siding - I have not been very scientific in balancing vehicle weights and the buffers on some vehicles are a bit dodgy .  I have started to fit sprung buffers to wagons used for the pick-up goods, which helps a bit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, coronach said:

The layout looks great.

That is an interesting idea you have about using a pin within the corridor connection to provide an accessible hook - I had not thought of that one.  Like you, I don't like using tension lock couplings.  Being a roundy-roundy layout, most of my corridor stock formations are fixed rakes so I have used the Bachmann vac-pipe / Hornby auto-couplers within the sets and 3-link couplings at the ends.  Where an end vehicle is fitted with a corridor connection, i generally use the 3-link coupling on the vehicle and attach that to the hook on the loco - not prototypical but it is easier than the alternative.  Nearly all the goods stock is fitted with 3-link couplings, which is fine until I attempt to propel a 30 wagon train into a refuge siding - I have not been very scientific in balancing vehicle weights and the buffers on some vehicles are a bit dodgy .  I have started to fit sprung buffers to wagons used for the pick-up goods, which helps a bit.

Reversing with 3 links is definitely part of the appeal, fortunately I don't have the space to run 30 truck trains, but even propelling 10 back needs the weights to be right. I note uneven loading of freight trucks is in the top 12 issues of this year's RSSB report, so we're dealing with the same reality in modern form, albeit differences in weight makes a more significant difference. I have noticed that some longer 4-wheel trucks (VGA type) don't reverse so well with 3 link couplings, because the tension lock provides some of the steering around unprototypically tight curves. I can't see a solution to that at the moment.

The pin in the corridor connection looks like it is worth investigating further at the moment. Of course this is only a problem with modern buckeye fitted stock (or as in Coronach's case in choosing the only pre-nationalisation company to have auto couplers instead of screwcouplings!). 

I like the Bachmann vac-pipes, but a shorter length version would be useful to tighten the gap on some coaches.

Does the elevated coupling pin arrangement lift that end of the loco at all? More likely when pulling heavy loads round corners I’d say. If not, it’s an effective solution to using 3 links if you’re still determined

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BenW said:

Does the elevated coupling pin arrangement lift that end of the loco at all? More likely when pulling heavy loads round corners I’d say. If not, it’s an effective solution to using 3 links if you’re still determined

Interesting question. I doubt any of the diesels will lift as they are all quite heavy, but the 03's match truck may do. That will be the one to try next I think.

I have come up with another possible solution, which is to remove the footplate from the gangway, so that the coupling hook is accessible in the right position. I think it may spoil the look of the back of the train though, so an old Airfix mk2d coach may find itself as the trial vehicle. Spare corridor connections don't seem to be readily available.

I have also found that GUVs were only ever fitted with screw couplings, so they should be straightforward once I work out how to couple them to a BG.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 61656 said:

Interesting question. I doubt any of the diesels will lift as they are all quite heavy, but the 03's match truck may do. That will be the one to try next I think.

I have come up with another possible solution, which is to remove the footplate from the gangway, so that the coupling hook is accessible in the right position. I think it may spoil the look of the back of the train though, so an old Airfix mk2d coach may find itself as the trial vehicle. Spare corridor connections don't seem to be readily available.

I have also found that GUVs were only ever fitted with screw couplings, so they should be straightforward once I work out how to couple them to a BG.

Have you thought about fixing the links together so that they form a single "link" coupling, rather like old coarse-scale 0 gauge? That would be easier to manhandle and should also help avoid bufferlocking.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2020 at 00:01, St Enodoc said:

Have you thought about fixing the links together so that they form a single "link" coupling, rather like old coarse-scale 0 gauge? That would be easier to manhandle and should also help avoid bufferlocking.

That’s a definite possibility for the ‘couplings trial’ - coming up as soon as I’ve sorted the track geometry in the fiddle yards.

• RMweb Premium

A fiddle yard update. With the lockdown easing, the possibility of multiple operators means that the fiddle yards need to be upgraded from stop-gap to temporary status!

First job on the list is to bridge the gap. There’s a 1200mm hole to get across to allow continuous running:

61204A1B-11AC-4728-9FE7-884732DDCBE7.jpeg.1c6e34d2ee44efe4515b9464fad13e7c.jpeg

A quick bit of woodwork, best admired from a distance. A simple hinged structure. I’ve used a slightly thicker 12mm ply for the top and a chunky bit of 68 x 44 mm timber underneath to give it strength. Experience has shown that this part will take some hammer.

71996194-4B0C-4F06-94AF-9334CBACDC51.jpeg.b8dee1feea93fabed179dfa3d9b50428.jpeg

An 85 becomes the first revenue earning service across the bridge. The door can just open, allowing small children, yoga experts and those truely desperate for the loo to squeeze through with the bridge lowered. The fixed upright to the left prevents the board folding on to the Chester fiddle yard (again). 

04E7C0DC-6E2A-4F69-9BEB-B0BE3620625E.jpeg.8d96399fda604f6f818e26126449ac88.jpeg

A look at the fiddle yards as they stand then. First is the Chester yard, currently 4 roads which will be expanded to 6. This is a single lead entrance which will become a double track scissors. To the right are the Warrington lines; there is a temporary crossover which will be moved to the lifting section when I get some straight points. These lines will be scenic for the whole length seen here, with just the Chester yard hidden.

3FE26479-B0B6-4DFE-971C-20FE200FFC29.jpeg.8caba25adb306a8b697431cf2e745225.jpeg

Here’s a long view over the lifting section. The Warrington terminal sidings (2) are to the right, with 4 terminal sidings for the Crewe yard to the left. There are currently two through lines in the middle, which will become 4. This means I have 12 storage roads to call on, with future potential to increase that to 16 or 17. I can barely fill what I have as things stand, so there’s no rush!

20076FCF-8ED8-423D-AC68-4A83CFFEC561.jpeg.26807840498df08b139252d4f8def21f.jpeg

A closer view of the Crewe and Warrington yards

D4525ED7-8674-457A-89B7-D79A4C92AB43.jpeg.afb4178c8c2c97d22b63201bb57f571e.jpeg

A final shot that I can’t get to display the right way up, so focus your inner question of sport! The set track points have allowed a compact double junction and a single lead into the Crewe yard. But - 440mm is far too tight in reality, although most things will get round it’s not pretty. I’m going to try doing the double junction with the 600mm radius streamline points, which should sort the through lines. The curved point into the Crewe yard is probably going to need a handbuilt solution, there doesn’t seem to be anyone that makes a 600mm radius curved point.

04D007A7-E19F-4831-80E1-3FEEC5D5BE4B.jpeg.ec27784be0992bacbffed85272e8189e.jpeg

Even with the not-even-temporary fiddle yard entrance to be resolved, running the layout is definitely getting more enjoyable and the niggles are rapidly decreasing.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress in the shed area, with the retaining walls weathered and fixed in place. The factory has been neatened up a bit and is starting to look the part. Whilst I had the paints out, I braved giving some stock a light weathering. First up were the 25 and a TTA. I’m quite happy with them, although they need a spray of matt varnish. 

81417468-BB8E-48CD-90A4-450464154E9C.jpeg.d182c43da9c5bb5f88baf91a6468145d.jpeg

Next job is to build a small two road maintenance shed for servicing the 25s and 31s allocated to Bluebeck. 

Feeling brave I then had a go at a parcels coach. These were always fairly dirty as they didn’t benefit from frequent trips to the carriage wash. This is quite a light wash of thinned dark rust, which I’m pleased with. It gives that grubby dark brown look that so many BGs had, which I assume is mainly brake dust. It makes an interesting comparison with an out of the box model. Again, a touch of matt varnish is required.

D8DEF2C3-48FE-40A6-A527-18B389C3C772.jpeg.ac0519667c95284c48e0fc27b43d2896.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2020 at 19:50, 61656 said:

A bit more progress in the shed area, with the retaining walls weathered and fixed in place. The factory has been neatened up a bit and is starting to look the part. Whilst I had the paints out, I braved giving some stock a light weathering. First up were the 25 and a TTA. I’m quite happy with them, although they need a spray of matt varnish. 

81417468-BB8E-48CD-90A4-450464154E9C.jpeg.d182c43da9c5bb5f88baf91a6468145d.jpeg

Next job is to build a small two road maintenance shed for servicing the 25s and 31s allocated to Bluebeck. 

Feeling brave I then had a go at a parcels coach. These were always fairly dirty as they didn’t benefit from frequent trips to the carriage wash. This is quite a light wash of thinned dark rust, which I’m pleased with. It gives that grubby dark brown look that so many BGs had, which I assume is mainly brake dust. It makes an interesting comparison with an out of the box model. Again, a touch of matt varnish is required.

D8DEF2C3-48FE-40A6-A527-18B389C3C772.jpeg.ac0519667c95284c48e0fc27b43d2896.jpeg

The coach side weathering looks good. Don’t forget to do the underframe, unless this one has just been overhauled. Railmatch ‘framedirt ‘is a good base colour, and I use ‘roof dirt’ to represent oil contamination. A Very light touch of ‘brake dust‘ can also bring out the detail

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2020 at 09:59, coronach said:

The coach side weathering looks good. Don’t forget to do the underframe, unless this one has just been overhauled. Railmatch ‘framedirt ‘is a good base colour, and I use ‘roof dirt’ to represent oil contamination. A Very light touch of ‘brake dust‘ can also bring out the detail

Believe it or not, I think it’s a thin wash of frame dirt all over the coach including the frames. It doesn’t really show up on the underframe though. I probably need to get some sort of frame dirt spray given the number of coaches I have to do. 

I should get to visit an actual model shop fairly soon and collect a decent set of weathering tackle.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/06/2020 at 10:52, 61656 said:

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

Yes, I'm a bit slow .... I've been meaning to ask you about those brewery buildings. Are they a Metcalfe kit, another kit, or custom / home built? I'm eventually:yes: going to need something similar on my layout.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2020 at 16:22, ISW said:

Yes, I'm a bit slow .... I've been meaning to ask you about those brewery buildings. Are they a Metcalfe kit, another kit, or custom / home built? I'm eventually:yes: going to need something similar on my layout.

The buildings are pretty much a collection of every Metcalfe factory that there is. There’s one each of PO282, 283 and 284, plus the now discontinued PO229 which is the brewery. 

PO229 is clearly an earlier kit and isn’t to the same standard as the later ones, although it holds its own well as part of a 3D backscene. 

They are all getting quite hard to get hold of at the moment as Metcalfe aren’t yet back in production, but if you can get 282-4 you can make them up and play around with various configurations. I think with some basic modification you could make a really big factory just based on a few 282, something I may have a go at further down the layout. 

30 minutes ago, 61656 said:

The buildings are pretty much a collection of every Metcalfe factory that there is. There’s one each of PO282, 283 and 284, plus the now discontinued PO229 which is the brewery. 

PO229 is clearly an earlier kit and isn’t to the same standard as the later ones, although it holds its own well as part of a 3D backscene. 

They are all getting quite hard to get hold of at the moment as Metcalfe aren’t yet back in production, but if you can get 282-4 you can make them up and play around with various configurations. I think with some basic modification you could make a really big factory just based on a few 282, something I may have a go at further down the layout. 

What I'll probably do is buy one of those kits to use as a 'guide' to build one of my own size / design / configuration to suit my layout / space configuration. I have built my own cardboard buildings before, but only as tests. What actually got me started was the free downloadable designs from Wordsworth model railways (http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/railside.html), and I improved from there.

I also have a station to build, and that will have to be a one-off as nothing exists like it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, ISW said:

What I'll probably do is buy one of those kits to use as a 'guide' to build one of my own size / design / configuration to suit my layout / space configuration. I have built my own cardboard buildings before, but only as tests. What actually got me started was the free downloadable designs from Wordsworth model railways (http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/railside.html), and I improved from there.

I also have a station to build, and that will have to be a one-off as nothing exists like it.

That’s an interesting reference. I have been thinking about the download and print option, but I hadn’t considered the design yourself possibility. 

I’d like to build a small running shed next, which I’m planning to do in plasticard. After that it’s platforms and then the quick job of ballasting. Until then all other thoughts are having to be restrained!

14 minutes ago, 61656 said:

That’s an interesting reference. I have been thinking about the download and print option, but I hadn’t considered the design yourself possibility. 

I’d like to build a small running shed next, which I’m planning to do in plasticard. After that it’s platforms and then the quick job of ballasting. Until then all other thoughts are having to be restrained!

Here's the 2-track depot building I made myself, designed in Xara DesignerPro, printed on my inkjet printer, and cut / glued to card. I learnt from this one that I should have used a thicker card for the 'inside' walls to prevent the bending and give more 'relief' to the windows. It's now nearly 5-years old and the colour hasn't faded. Maybe that's due to me spraying the completed model with waterproofing spray (the one you use for coats and umbrellas). It's not perfect by any means, but it shows what can be done.

20151206_192231_resize.jpg.e877fba92c5524ec6856d0d180a1d76c.jpg

20151206_192244_resize.jpg.91fbce5612b97e92db1bb783c86a44f6.jpg

20151229_223415_resize.jpg.c979d47fd6c99253026265676c6d8fd9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, ISW said:

Here's the 2-track depot building I made myself, designed in Xara DesignerPro, printed on my inkjet printer, and cut / glued to card. I learnt from this one that I should have used a thicker card for the 'inside' walls to prevent the bending and give more 'relief' to the windows. It's now nearly 5-years old and the colour hasn't faded. Maybe that's due to me spraying the completed model with waterproofing spray (the one you use for coats and umbrellas). It's not perfect by any means, but it shows what can be done.

Wow. That’s really impressive. It certainly makes me think about station and signal box possibilities. 

On a one-man home layout when you have a job and a family, you do have to be realistic about what you can achieve and I think you’ve just opened up a whole new world of achievable for me. 

35 minutes ago, 61656 said:

Wow. That’s really impressive. It certainly makes me think about station and signal box possibilities. 

On a one-man home layout when you have a job and a family, you do have to be realistic about what you can achieve and I think you’ve just opened up a whole new world of achievable for me. 

Thanks for the compliment. Once you have a few buildings 'designed' it's possible to mix-n-match the bits you already have (windows, doors, chimneys, brick styles, trusses, etc) and this makes subsequent buildings that bit easier.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1