'Compton Abbas'

georgeT

Cheers George, mate!

Nice doing business with you! Now, how to let my missus know? Ha, ha, ha!

Cheers,

John.

Come on John, who wears the TROUSERS in your House mate, WHOOPS FORGOT same as in my Gaff, its Er indoors init.

Well John (Allegheny 1600) has possession of 'Compton Abbas'  and has asked if he could keep this thread going rather than start up a new one,  he intends to model the GWR in the 1930s,  Good luck John....

Come on John, who wears the TROUSERS in your House mate, WHOOPS FORGOT same as in my Gaff, its Er indoors init.

Ooh, aye! Er indoors likes to think she's the boss and I let her (it's easier, ha, ha, ha!!!).

As it turned out, she was quite happy about this - as long as it's not a load more stock (Shhh about Nottingham, chaps!) but somewhere to run it on, she's appreciative!

I was a bit tired when I got home from Georges on Monday night, it was gone half ten!!!

Then, yesterday was taken up with taxiing her dad to and from hospital so CA spent two days in the back of my car, oh dear!

Finally, I can now happily say that it's set up in it's new home.

I've taken a couple of snaps but they're just not uploading right now, I'll try again later.

Cheers,

John.

Hi All,

Back from (one of) my clubs now and the photos I took earlier have uploaded, hoorah!

25863773055_6160790c67_b.jpg

You'll have seen more or less this shot before, I think.

25237206773_dff419a229_b.jpg

Here is a nice long shot though.

This is a north facing window so I have to keep the blinds closed earlier on in the day.

25237209673_fc252325ca_b.jpg

Before I left George's, he kindly added the remainder of the doors to the station building (thanks buddy!). Now, I don't know whether to do the stonework from plastic card or Das compound, scribed. I've never used Das before (except in the washing machine!) so I may do a trial first.

Anyway, relax time now.

Cheers,

John.

Hi All,

Back from (one of) my clubs now and the photos I took earlier have uploaded, hoorah!

25863773055_6160790c67_b.jpg

You'll have seen more or less this shot before, I think.

25237206773_dff419a229_b.jpg

Here is a nice long shot though.

This is a north facing window so I have to keep the blinds closed earlier on in the day.

25237209673_fc252325ca_b.jpg

Before I left George's, he kindly added the remainder of the doors to the station building (thanks buddy!). Now, I don't know whether to do the stonework from plastic card or Das compound, scribed. I've never used Das before (except in the washing machine!) so I may do a trial first.

Anyway, relax time now.

Cheers,

John.

Looks good in her new home John, looking forward to the progress, with the station building l would use DAS rolled out like pastery then cut out all the bits like doors / window etc etc, then PVA the building and lay the DAS on, when dry you can then scribe the stonework, good luck with whatever you choose...

Morning John, its looking very good mate, I hadn't realised it had progressed so far as George never posted some overall shots like the ones above.

Superb mate and Good luck with its continuation.

Gosh, don't look in for a few days and its all change again!

Glad to see Compton Abbas has a new owner and not gone to landfill, will continue watching progress.

So, where's George (thread) gone? 7mm i gather.

Gosh, don't look in for a few days and its all change again!

Glad to see Compton Abbas has a new owner and not gone to landfill, will continue watching progress.

So, where's George (thread) gone? 7mm i gather.

Hello Ray, 'Wendlebury Yard' ...

• 1 month later...

The other day, I treated myself to something appropriate for this layout;

26479030736_fe7ce378b4_c.jpg

The latest Bachmann 45XX!

Most irritatingly, I discovered that it's one of the models where Bachmann haven't got the positioning of the NEM coupler box right.

26438888401_3ef6eba953_c.jpg

No problem, I thought! Just carve away the back of the (Bachmann) knuckle coupler and she'll be alright!

25902151363_03fc79b379_c.jpg

Grrr! Now, I have to very carefully, carve away part of the coupling hook!

26232145020_413772dea2_c.jpg

That's got it! Now the knuckle can swing properly and hence, work properly.

I had to use a Bachmann version as I was very shy of trying to carve the back of a genuine Kadee knuckle head.

Bleedin disaster!

Look how high the knuckles are!!!

26403592714_08cb013a72_c.jpg

26403590034_baf4cb8740_c.jpg

Double Grrr!!!

Why is something like this still available?

I can't believe the British model railway industry, I don't have any problems like this with my US or Continental stock, it really makes me despair.

Also, I thought this was supposed to be a decent runner?

It runs, just not as smoothly as I'm used to.

Feck it!

The other day, I treated myself to something appropriate for this layout;

26479030736_fe7ce378b4_c.jpg

The latest Bachmann 45XX!

Most irritatingly, I discovered that it's one of the models where Bachmann haven't got the positioning of the NEM coupler box right.

26438888401_3ef6eba953_c.jpg

No problem, I thought! Just carve away the back of the (Bachmann) knuckle coupler and she'll be alright!

25902151363_03fc79b379_c.jpg

Grrr! Now, I have to very carefully, carve away part of the coupling hook!

26232145020_413772dea2_c.jpg

That's got it! Now the knuckle can swing properly and hence, work properly.

I had to use a Bachmann version as I was very shy of trying to carve the back of a genuine Kadee knuckle head.

Bleedin disaster!

Look how high the knuckles are!!!

img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1448/264790307361_fe7ce378b4_c.jpg[/img]

Double Grrr!!!

Why is something like this still available?

I can't believe the British model railway industry, I don't have any problems like this with my US or Continental stock, it really makes me despair.

Also, I thought this was supposed to be a decent runner?

It runs, just not as smoothly as I'm used to.

Feck it!

Hi John, I have 3, and the Kadee has to be GLUED UNDER the NEM Box to be the right height, BUT NOT IN A BOX, just glued direct to the underside of the box. TOTAL CR*P really for a modern Loco. Bachmann do the same with the Wagons, I no longer buy the ones with the stepped Coupling as there to high as well.

Archived