Hornby OTA Timber Wagons

Ragtag

• RMweb Gold

Well since no-one else has commented yet.....wink.gif

Thanks for posting that Ragtag. It comes up very big & grainy when I click the link, but shrinks down when the "return to photo page" link is clicked.

Can't comment on accuracy but seems to be a good 1st go. It looks like Hornby have copied Bachmann in having the spings fixed to the solebars & (possibly) moving w-irons behind. Looking forward to the finished article, something I would like a few of smile.gif

This looks promising.

I wonder if this will be the only version or if there are plans for the VDA cut down OTA's, with the fishbelly underframe, round top ends and prototypical sharp edgeds where the sides were hacked off. If not I'll just do that same job on a Bachmann VDA.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

This looks promising.

I wonder if this will be the only version or if there are plans for the VDA cut down OTA's, with the fishbelly underframe, round top ends and prototypical sharp edgeds where the sides were hacked off. If not I'll just do that same job on a Bachmann VDA.

Mark

I would have thought Hornby will only want to do 1 chassis & work the variations on that - the fact that Bachmann already do the VDA would put Hornby off?

I would have thought Hornby will only want to do 1 chassis & work the variations on that - the fact that Bachmann already do the VDA would put Hornby off?

Yup they probably thought that us lot would be right out with the blades ready to hack away if we wanted a different one.

Just as I moan about Hornby's choice of Chassis.. Bachmann go and announce the VDA conversion OTA. I wonder if there are any other fates I can tempt!!.

This is what we used to see up here on the Aberdeen to Inverness Line when timber actually went by Rail.

post-6854-126800460611_thumb.jpg

post-6854-126800462957_thumb.jpg

post-6854-126800464432_thumb.jpg

post-6854-126800465826_thumb.jpg

If you look closely you can see where the Roof looks like someone used a can opener to take it off!

Rgds

Mark

• Like 3

There is a third variant tht was similar to the ex-OCA but without the un-parrallel top.

As I recall (and I could be wrong, these wagons are a minefield), the wagons with straight-topped ends were the original ex-OCA conversions. Most but probably not all were later rebuilt into the higher 'notched' appearance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As I recall (and I could be wrong, these wagons are a minefield), the wagons with straight-topped ends were the original ex-OCA conversions. Most but probably not all were later rebuilt into the higher 'notched' appearance

Hi Ian,

Correct - these wagons are a minefield!

I made a start some time ago trying to sort and split the various types and what they were converted from etc.

Yes - the straight topped end ones were originally OCA.

Yes - most (that survived long enough) had rebuilt high ends.

However I have some gaps in the numbers where I don't know, can't find out or were no longer listed and these may or may not have been given new or extended ends.

However, I'm hoping to get something in UPDate at some stage.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Correct - these wagons are a minefield!

I made a start some time ago trying to sort and split the various types and what they were converted from etc.

Yes - the straight topped end ones were originally OCA.

Yes - most (that survived long enough) had rebuilt high ends.

However I have some gaps in the numbers where I don't know, can't find out or were no longer listed and these may or may not have been given new or extended ends.

However, I'm hoping to get something in UPDate at some stage.

Thanks

Phil

Most of the OTA's that were dumped out the back of Guild Street Aberdeen, Inverurie and Elgin were the ex-VDA conversions, as shown previously complete with jaggy edges at the ends.

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Most of the OTA's that were dumped out the back of Guild Street Aberdeen, Inverurie and Elgin were the ex-VDA conversions, as shown previously complete with jaggy edges at the ends.

Rgds

Mark

Hi Mark,

Believe it or not...

The ex VDA's were one of the simplest groups to sort out!

They seem to have been very well covered by a lot of different photographers.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Kernow Model Centre are now advertising that the OTA's in EWS livery are now in stock and they have photos:

R6466: http://www.kernowmod..._Carrying_Wagon

R5467: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/26999/R6467_Hornby_OTA_Timber_Carrying_Wagon

EDIT: Hattons have a limited number (3) of R6467 as well: http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=25854

Looks good!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I've had chance to look at the Hornby EWS OTA at the Exeter Model Shop today (thanks, Dave!). they look to be rather nice with some representation of the air brake undergubbins. The stanchions are the same as those shown in mark "westie7"s pictures above. I have no idea when these stanchions came into use, but the images on Paul Bartlett's site (like this one ) have different stanchions & it looks like Hornby's other livery version will have that pattern. I *think* these may be more appropriate for late 80s versions, so they're the ones I'll be wanting to get - shame they will be in the all over blue-green livery, I'd prefer the black solebars & red end for Railfreight use.

Hi,

Any idea's on when the OTA timber loads will be released by Hornby for them, Made my own with real twigs and there is no way that i'm going to do a rake of 14 wagons by cutting twigs from trees to simulate the load.

Regards

Mathew

The whole process of getting the right size and lenght of twig for the wagon load took about 2-3 hours, The problem was that cutting twigs from trees and hedges made making the loads harder because the twig is in effect still a living organism, once it gets cut the twig will shrink and bend over a small period of time so if you were to put the load on a wagon and glue it down with wood glue the wood will change shape. so the best type of wood is ones that are dead, this also makes the effect of the wood more realistic once glued down and in position.

Once I had got the amount of wood to use, I set about in sawing the wood into the correct size by using a small hacksaw and I also used a pair of wire cutters to chop them into shape. Many many twigs later I had the right amount to build one pile on the wagon, put a layer on the wagon floor then a small amount of wood glue onto the top but not allowing the glue to go near the edge as it will show on the outside and just keep building layers till you get to the top of the stantions. I did that for the end pieces and set about doing the inner section, You do this the same way as the ends but make sure that the pieces of wood are longer that the three middle stantions or it will look out of place if you had a piece of wood that was smaller than the three stantions and if it was a real train the chances of the wood shifting and sticking out would be greater. The wood glue needs to take a good 24 hours to set and dry but i'm happy with the results of the wagon. all's it need's now is a good representation of the strapping to hold the load in. I'm not sure if I'll do the other wagons in the same way but I could do it to pass the time away over the easter break.