Hornby OTA Timber Wagons

Ragtag

On 14/06/2011 at 20:18, ANT said:

Hello All

I picked up 4 of the Thames Board - Green versions at DEMU Showcase on Saturday

The stanchions can be easily pulled out, or as in the case in one box one was already lose.

This give me choice to model some with the centre stanchion removed as in some photos.

Here is a pic

post-7053-0-59498800-1308078926_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

I've got a few OTA wagons, both Bachmann and Hornby, and want to understand the timeframe for operating each livery/version. Included are some of the Hornby version pictured above as widely listed as being in 'Thames Board Green' livery (teal to my eyes).

Having done some research however I'm struggling to find any photgraphic evidence of OTA wagons in such a colour. From what I can make out the 'Thames Board' livery was light blue and didn't included the painting of the sole bar and suspension. Some OTAs were painted, including underframe, in plain green for Shotton traffic but this appears to be a very different colour than the Hornby version. Strangely the Hornby wagons in this teal livery also have post 1998 OLE warning flashes.

I've trawled through what books I have, Flickr and Paul Bartlett's excellent website but cannot find an early picture in this vibrant Hornby teal livery. Tom Smith's Volume 2 book has some pictures of OTAs from 2002 described at "faded green Thames Board livery" and that is the closest I've got but I cannot help wondering if they are faded 'Shotton' green instead.

Has anyone got, or can point me to, an ideally ex-works photograph of an OTA in this Hornby teal livery please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thames Board blue with underframe painted black; date is 1990 and it's ex-works and still has large "Thames Harvesting" stickers on the ends: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ota/h355E02BC#h5effb3

Reasonably ex-works blue, 1990: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ota/h355E02BC#h7f11101

This one, with the "Thames Harvesting" stickers legible, and ex-works 1986. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ota/h355E02BC#h52ba20ec

Green, which became the faded sickly colour shown at the top of p.25 of Smith's book - note the solebars and underframe also in green; date is 1992 and it is clearly ex-works: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ota/h355E02BC#h4f205b9

Ex-works green, December 1991: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ota/h355E02BC#h47a4e97

In conclusion, the photos seems to suggest:

Blue Thames Board/Thames Harvesting 1986-1990

Green including underframe (late?) 1991-1992. 

Note that these dates do not tally with the info in the post above. 

P.S. Hornby's green looks off - too teal-y - and none of these wagons would ever have been that clean by the time yellow warning flashes were fitted; they'd never have been cleaned in their lives. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

52 minutes ago, NINJA said:

Thames Board was taken over in 1988 by the Swedish Company Iggersund Paperboard, the house colours changed from green to light blue.

Thanks but this shot from 1987, and others, shows that the Thames Board livery was blue.

31 tonne Timber Wagon.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

In conclusion, the photos seems to suggest:

Blue Thames Board/Thames Harvesting 1986-1990

Green including underframe (late?) 1991-1992. 

Note that these dates do not tally with the info in the post above. 

P.S. Hornby's green looks off - too teal-y - and none of these wagons would ever have been that clean by the time yellow warning flashes were fitted; they'd never have been cleaned in their lives. 

Thanks Daddyman. So the Hornby version is supposed to 'Shotton' green not a fictitious 'Thames Board' green?

As you say, in that case the Hornby base colour is way off in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

To be fair to them, the first green photo I linked to above looks quite close to Hornby's. 

I'm afraid I don't know where the green livery comes from.  Your Shotton idea may be right. 

David Ratcliffe's BR Air-Braked Wagons book p35 states "In 1992 the OTAs in traffic to Shotton began to be repainted with green ends....." and has an accompanying picture (although the underframe is not repainted).

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

David Ratcliffe's BR Air-Braked Wagons book p35 states "In 1992 the OTAs in traffic to Shotton began to be repainted with green ends....." and has an accompanying picture (although the underframe is not repainted).

Interesting. It's the same green, is it?

Maybe they got fed up with doing the underframes green at a later date?

The December 1991 repaint shown on Paul Bartlett's site must have been one of the first Shotton repaints then.   

Edited by Daddyman

1 minute ago, Daddyman said:

Interesting. It's the same green, is it?

Maybe they got fed up with doing the underframes green at a later date?

The December 1991 repaint shown on Paul Bartlett's site must have been one of the first Shotton repaints then.   

Yes, it's the same green as Paul's photos. Still think the Hornby rendition is way off but it will probably look a lot better when weathered down.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's one of those colours that won't weather down - it fades in such a way that only a complete repaint will work. I think when I did some Cambrian kits years ago I started with LNER green, and a lot of white. I don't really model the period any more, but I imagine the likes of Realtec supply lots of transfers nowadays, meaning that a complete repaint is possible. You might just get away with some sort of white wash, but I don't think so. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

You can fade quite bright colours really effectively using weathering powders.

Interesting. But will the powders then wash off when you apply the necessary enamel "muck wash" over the top? You need something that allows you to work that muck wash into all the nooks and crannies, and that resists the thinners within the wash. As said, my preference would be for a complete repaint, but a whitish enamel wash left to dry for a week or so before the muck wash goes on might work. I've also often wondered about an acrylic wash for the fading, as that would resist the enamel thinners in the muck wash. But I don't use powders so don't know how they would work.  

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't suppose anyone has a wrecked one of these they'd like to part with, do they? I only need the body "sides" to be intact, nothing else matters. So if you have a conversion/detailing project that's gone wrong I'd be happy to hear from you.  

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2020 at 10:20, WILLIAM said:

Thanks but this shot from 1987, and others, shows that the Thames Board livery was blue.

31 tonne Timber Wagon.

Is that the Mexican Bean 104 in the background?

6 hours ago, E100 said:

Is that the Mexican Bean 104 in the background?

I think that unit had a light grey roof and maroon/dark red bodyside ends. On a quick glance it looks like a pair of InterCity Mk1s but I think I can see an exhaust pipe tip (?) so that probably rules those out. Plus the red 'guttering'(?) doesn't ring true there either.

Could it be another first generation DMU in one of the Strathclyde liveries? Did they get that far? 

I'd be interested to know, out of curiosity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2023 at 07:32, Daddyman said:

I don't suppose anyone has a wrecked one of these they'd like to part with, do they? I only need the body "sides" to be intact, nothing else matters. So if you have a conversion/detailing project that's gone wrong I'd be happy to hear from you.  

the white poles???