Expo EM 2016

Blue Max

• RMweb Premium

Just like to add my thanks to Graham and the organisers of the show, for putting on yet another great Expo. I was struck by the friendly atmosphere all weekend.

We had a great time with Karl's Hebble Vale goods. 

• RMweb Premium

We had a cracking weekend with The Mill. Great layouts, great trade, great people, great beer, etc.

A busy weekend; I don't think the questions and discussions about the layout, modelling and life in general ever stopped. We were both exhausted but loved every minute of it.

Feel a bit guilty for keeping poor Steve Young out until 1:15am on Saturday night / Sunday morning, especially about laughing when he drunkenly stumbled across the car park and very nearly went a... over t... Sorry Steve :D

Thanks for all the favourable comments about the show.  Although I say it myself expo (and Scaleforum) really do have a unique atmosphere - they have a real atmosphere about them as a meeting point for friends to meet up as opposed to the run of the mill show full of strangers and small groups of friends.  Long may that continue.

I feel I have left expo in safe hands and I know that there is a lot of goodwill that my successor Mark Clark can call on to ensure its continued success.

The only sour point for me was politely asking an EMGS member to leave the main hall 20 minutes before the show opened on Saturday and wait with everyone else  until 10.30.  Apparently my request for him to leave was unreasonable and we had a stand up row.  He seemed to think he had a right to be there - quite astonishing.  What an absolute idiot the like of which I have not seen in my 16 years as expoEM manager!!  If I knew the giiys name I would name and shame....

Anyway thanks for all those that supported the show whether it be as a visitor, trader, layout operator or demonstrator.  Big thanks also to all those thave give up there time to help put the show on.  Too many to list but you all know who you are.

Finally in conversation over the weekend about the previous posts about the EMGS web presence I understand that work is already well advanced on a new website that aims to address the sort of concerns that have been expressed (and more).  I know the Board are keen to "get it right" before it goes live so lets all be patient wait for the results of the project.

Graeme

I even had myself scanned by Modelu so I will be appearing on a layout at 1 to 76 scale sometime in the near future.

That just leaves me & Tudor then to be scanned and added to 'Penlan' - The Layout - Perhaps Modelu will be at Cardiff ?

Great weekend at Expo,  OK Sunday only, 'tis a long way from west Cornwall, a little further than Kernow Models travelled..

.... a huge shame that the leisure centre catering staff are ..... so poor at thier job. .

Yes, I had to remind the lad 3 times that Black Coffee comes without milk, preferably. :O

The only sour point for me was politely asking an EMGS member to leave the main hall 20 minutes before the show opened on Saturday and wait with everyone else  until 10.30.  Apparently my request for him to leave was unreasonable and we had a stand up row.  He seemed to think he had a right to be there - quite astonishing.  What an absolute idiot the like of which I have not seen in my 16 years as expoEM manager!!  If I knew the giiys name I would name and shame....

So it's true.  ExpoEM is a village.

Chris

Just to add our thanks to everyone involved in putting on another great expoEM.

We had a great time exhibiting 'St Merryn' and were very proud to have been presented with the Peter Denny Memorial Award for the most authentically operated layout at expoEM 2016.

Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

Another very good show with some inspiring layouts. Chris, from High Level gave my bank balance a bit of a pounding, but I now have all the bits I need for my stock pile of Finney kits that I have bought from Brassmasters at Expo North and Scaleforum.

Thanks Graeme for another great show, a suitable finale I think.

Another very good show with some inspiring layouts. Chris, from High Level gave my bank balance a bit of a pounding, but I now have all the bits I need for my stock pile of Finney kits that I have bought from Brassmasters at Expo North and Scaleforum.

Thanks Graeme for another great show, a suitable finale I think.

Seconded.

Chris pushed a box marked "64xx" into my hands, saying he'd kept one back just for me.... Shortly after, the printer roll on his card reader ran out of paper, so he gave me the leftover plastic core as well. I've just discovered that the core is virtually the right diameter for the NBR "G"/LNE "Y9" boiler (how about that for a new kit, Chris!?)

Some photos were taken, but my Chinese smartphone seems a bit reluctant to allow them to be moved to a PC...

Have sorted through photos (well resized them and weeded out the few too dark/blurred etc) and uploaded them now.

Can be found here:

A few examples:

Nice! Were you the lady in the wheelchair I met at The Mill?

Regards

Nice! Were you the lady in the wheelchair I met at The Mill?

Regards

Indeed, I was in a mobility scooter there for both days this year. Makes it so much less painful on my back :-)

No, it's not that. I think the USB cable has failed again. Just about every single one I've got seems to have a dodgy connection

You could give Dropbox's camera upload feature a try. It will automatically sync your photos from your phone to Dropbox and then your computer(s) will download them automatically too. Google offers something similar for their picasa /drive platform and Microsoft do too with onedrive, but I've found Dropbox works best of all of them. No fiddling with USB leads (micro usb connectors are notoriously fragile and temperamental I find unless you get a branded cable, the cheaper ones on eBay don't last at all well)

Good to have met you

Likewise :-)

No, it's not that. I think the USB cable has failed again. Just about every single one I've got seems to have a dodgy connection

After 2 1/2 years, the USB socket on my phone is a bit dodgy (it will only charge with certain cables now, and getting it to talk to the computer is very cable, and luck dependent) - I often revert to sending pictures to my laptop via bluetooth.

We (the Ynysybwl crowd) had a great time...

I think we need to put a phonetic guide on the front of the layout and we have now become well known for gardening in miniature.

A tremendous piece of work with that layout - I really enjoyed it. Your miniature vegetable patches are doing much better than my full sized ones - fighting a losing battle with squirrels. However I did notice some 4mm squirrels on the Dart Castings stand, so watch out next time you exhibit - there might be something digging up your onions!

Good evening

This seems a good point in this thread to throw in a few words about Stand 25, The Metropolitan Junction Railway, as I was the fool (as "fools rush in where angels fear to tread") that:

1. Rescued....
Visited the Williams residence to seek permission to reprint his 1962 MRN article about the Rolla Controla, which was indeed given by Mrs Williams. Business done, obviously I inquired about the layout to be told that it still slumbered in its room upstairs, but that nobody seemed to want it (unlike the locos and stock) and now, 18 months after Doug's passing, it would be heading for the tip. Entering the room and seeing that complexity of track, the forest of lattice-masted signals and on closer examination, the fully-functional runs of mechanical rodding alongside the tracks, the heart told the head "THIS MUST BE SAVED".So, with a few willing helpers we got it and its stock out of its room and into storage.

2. Recruited....
(Lumbered?)Never having had owt to do with EM gauge before, I approached the West Surrey EM Gauge Area Group to find that D.A.W's writings had been a inspiration to member Richard Stevenson, who willingly donned the hat of Chief Mechanical Engineer and commenced repairing damaged locos, followed by electrics and baseboard matters, i.e. CEE AND CCE hats as well!

3. Railroaded....
Confident that it would be working on the day, I persuaded the group that we should commit to show some part of the layout at expoEM 2016, the centenary year of Doug WillIams's birth in 1916. Secretly I knew all along that we had to exhibit the whole thing, to do proper justice to Doug's creation,........

...,,and that's what we achieved.
OR rather the marvellous team did, while I watched from the sidelines.
Thank you all, Richard, Pat, Andy, Brian, Gerry, Tony, Melvyn and William.
Thank you, too, Graeme V and the EMGS Committee, for inviting us to exhibit.

Over the weekend we were privileged to meet a few modellers who had met Doug personally, a somewhat larger number that had corresponded with him and many who had read and learned from his articles. Hopefully. that latter number will rise as we make the articles more accessible as soon as we can.

Your help is sought, where do we place them and other DAW-related material?

In order to get started, I have created a Yahoo Group https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/metjct/info

which at present has:
a. home page - description as per text in expoEM 2016 guide with missing line inserted,
b. home page (one may have to wait for it to load) TRACK PLAN As of October 1986 article onwards
c. home header (ditto) 3 PHOTOS OF D A WILLIAMS etc
This material chosen to complement the MRJ 246/247/248 articles by Andy Avis.

If you have any memories/info to share or wish to ask a question, please feel free to post on the yahoo group.
If you wish to upload any file(s) or photo(s) please place it/them in folder(s) named to show who and what.
please include your real name in any submission.
as I said earlier .....might move from a yahoo-group to something else.

Regards, Rodney Hills
Good evening

If you have any memories/info to share or wish to ask a question, please feel free to post on the yahoo group.

If you wish to upload any file(s) or photo(s) please place it/them in folder(s) named to show who and what.

please include your real name in any submission.

as I said earlier .....might move from a yahoo-group to something else.

Regards, Rodney Hills

It was great to see it over the weekend.

When I get chance I'll upload the photos I took of it to the yahoo group.

Archived