DCC Controller List basic review by owners.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dobie said:

Thanks for the great review, first time I have come across your videos.

Due to moving during the Coronavirus pandemic, I have had to sign up to mobile broadband instead of WiFi.

I use the mobile dongle as I would a normal broadband connection - would this work with my internet connection?

I understand you probably won't know the answer, but I thoguht i'd give it a try.

Thanks!

Andrew

You don't sign up to wifi, you sign up for an internet connection (which is usually some form of ADSL Broadband) & run what you want from that. You could just have a wired network, but in recent years, it has been normal to have your own wifi network.

So instead of ADSL, it sounds like you are using 3/4/5G to connect to the the internet.

I can see from the video that the Z21 has a network connection, so this will connect to a wifi router/switch or another switch connected to it

It has also become normal for Broadband providers to supply you with a router which connects to their network & also provides wifi. This is a nice neat 1-box solution.

You can buy wifi-routers which do not have an ADSL connection but do supply other services which will give you other services you need for a home network.

This router is an example. It will provide a wifi connection & assign IP addresses (each device needs an IP address & it is easier to have a DHCP server (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which assigns these.

So, do you need to know a little about networking to get it set up? Possibly, but most devices like this are usually ready to go with the most commonly-used features.

If you want to go down this route, it may be better to start your own thread about setting up your own home network with wifi rather than let the information get lost within a DCC systems review thread.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dobie said:

Due to moving during the Coronavirus pandemic, I have had to sign up to mobile broadband instead of WiFi.

I use the mobile dongle as I would a normal broadband connection - would this work with my internet connection?

I understand you probably won't know the answer, but I thoguht i'd give it a try.

Thanks!

Andrew

the answer to your question is - depends :(

the Z21 does not need an internet connection, it is designed for people with little or no networking knowledge  and it will work just using what is in the box with the addition of a mobile phone or tablet.

you simply connect the supplied router to the Z21 with the supplied cable and then connect your phone via the WiFi that is created by the Z21 router - that’s it!

as you are using your phone with a SIM card to access the internet you will be able to access the net and use your Z21 at the same time :)

Be careful on the package you buy as some of the z21 (note the little z) packages don’t come with a router supplied which is why they are a lot cheaper.

later on you can connect the Z21 to your home WiFi though most people don’t find the need to do this :)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I used to live in a park home, where the site manager wanted £500 to allow BT (plus their fee) to connect me to the internet, so I bought a MiFi dongle from service provider 3, which mounts a data sim card. I was buying these 24Gb capacity from 7-day shop as they were cheaper than direct from 3.

Burn rate was reasonable under 2/3G connection but as soon as 4G came in it was eating data like a donkey eats strawberries. I was glad when I moved into a real house and could get a proper internet connection. The dongle is handy for trips around the country when free WiFi is not available.

Just now, RAF96 said:

I used to live in a park home, where the site manager wanted £500 to allow BT (plus their fee) to connect me to the internet, so I bought a MiFi dongle from service provider 3, which mounts a data sim card. I was buying these 24Gb capacity from 7-day shop as they were cheaper than direct from 3.

Burn rate was reasonable under 2/3G connection but as soon as 4G came in it was eating data like a donkey eats strawberries. I was glad when I moved into a real house and could get a proper internet connection. The dongle is handy for trips around the country when free WiFi is not available.

I have never seen a donkey eat strawberries! :D

I had to find a solution as I work from home and my job requires me to be online 7 days a week.

Luckily Vodafone do a unlimited data, unlimited speed dongle which I got for a relatively resonable cost and it means I can take it with me when I want to work on the move too.

I get between 25-30 Meg download speeds, whilst not blistering quick i'm able to do everything  Ineed with it!

On 07/04/2020 at 17:28, Andrew Dobie said:

Thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You don’t need an internet connection, the router provided generates the WiFi connection you use, the Z21 is wired into the router and you connect to the Z21 WiFi name.

Hope it helps. 

Edited by CottesmoreRail
Typo.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CottesmoreRail said:

Hi Andrew,

You don’t need an internet connection, the router provider generates the WiFi connection you use, the Z21 is wired into the router and you connect to the Z21 WiFi name.

Hope it helps. 

You can also add a Roco WiFi Maus as well if you want. IMHO much better as a throttle than a phone app.

1 hour ago, CottesmoreRail said:

Hi Andrew,

You don’t need an internet connection, the router provider generates the WiFi connection you use, the Z21 is wired into the router and you connect to the Z21 WiFi name.

Hope it helps. 

This is bad advice if it is referring to the router provider as your home wifi router because the Z21 has a hard coded address and if your home wifi uses a different subnet to that in the Z21 than it will not work and you are into a whole heap of issues - which are not complex, but very confusing if you do not understand networks, subnet and IP Address schemas.

As I suggested earlier just use the kit provided by Roco and follow their instructions, they work perfectly.

Edited by WIMorrison

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

This is bad advice if it is referring to the router provider as your home wifi router because the Z21 has a hard coded address and if your home wifi uses a different subnet to that in the Z21 than it will not work and you are into a whole heap of issues - which are not complex, but very confusing if you do not understand networks, subnet and IP Address schemas.

As I suggested earlier just use the kit provided by Roco and follow their instructions, they work perfectly.

I think you've jumped on a typo there.

3 hours ago, CottesmoreRail said:

Reads a lot better as:

You don’t need an internet connection, the router PROVIDED generates the WiFi connection you use, the Z21 is wired into the router and you connect to the Z21 WiFi name.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpendle said:

I think you've jumped on a typo there.

Reads a lot better as:

You don’t need an internet connection, the router PROVIDED generates the WiFi connection you use, the Z21 is wired into the router and you connect to the Z21 WiFi name.

Regards,

John P

That’s what I meant yes, thanks for clarifying. 

3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

That clearly wasn’t what was intended, ask for clarification next time. It was clearly a typo. 

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I started out with a Hornby 'Elite' which is reasonably good bit of kit. 

I now use Lenz LZ100 which does everything I want.

I also use Roco Z21 with a Multimaus attached, the Multimaus also work with my Lenz set up

The reason I have two systems is because I used to take a layout on the exhibition circuit and it was convenient to have one for each, I used the Z21 at home and the Lenz at exhibitions.

• 4 months later...

I guess someone else may have responded who is also an ECoS user. I graduated to one of these via Lenz and Fleischmann Twin in 2013 and have really never looked back. Sure, it was an expensive purchase at the start but it is such a powerful piece of kit I could not look at anything else (with the possible exception of Z21). 

I operate using either a VNC link on my iPad which replicates the ECoS screen, a mobile control II handset or an app called ECoS Cab which is really good. 

The unique selling point of the ECoS for me was the colour touch screen and the ability to control all points and routes using the display. Plus, once programmed in, there is no need to try to remember loco or accessory addresses. 

I have set it up to facilitate full route control but have yet to experiment with block detection which I perhaps do not need on my layout. 

I guess the message here is make the investment as this piece of kit is an all in one solution that avoids the need to build a separate control panel as it accommodates a number of layouts so is a multi layout tool,  and which facilitates operation through the likes of iTrain. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

The two critical issues are what do you want from DCC and which user interface suits you.

The first may sound obvious, but is it? I use DCC for OO and HO but have zero interest in sound, smoke or such like. I like DCC because I find speed control and slow speed performance far superior and enjoy controlling the train rather than just powering the track.

On the second, that is a user preference and it is irrelevant what anyone else thinks if you find a particular UI really nice or horrible.

If you know what you want that should help you consider what you need and then try and try out different systems.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On the second, that is a user preference and it is irrelevant what anyone else thinks if you find a particular UI really nice or horrible.

Definitely.

I find touch screen sliders for speed pretty useless but some others seem to like them.

I cannot understand what the advantage over a physical knob that you can operate completely blind is!🙂

N.B. I use the Roco Z21 app on a tablet as well as a WiFi Maus with a Z21, so it's not that I haven't tried them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The advantage is very simple - cost. If you already own a smart phone (as most people do) then you don’t have to spend anything on another device.

Plus, there is a generation coming behind us who have no issues using mobile phone screens 😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2023 at 13:32, WIMorrison said:

Plus, there is a generation coming behind us who have no issues using mobile phone screens 😂

Let's hope they make much larger versions of smart phones for seniors then..!

Edited by NFWEM57
typo

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2021 at 08:44, Marc Osborne said:

I guess someone else may have responded who is also an ECoS user. I graduated to one of these via Lenz and Fleischmann Twin in 2013 and have really never looked back. Sure, it was an expensive purchase at the start but it is such a powerful piece of kit I could not look at anything else (with the possible exception of Z21). 

I operate using either a VNC link on my iPad which replicates the ECoS screen, a mobile control II handset or an app called ECoS Cab which is really good. 

The unique selling point of the ECoS for me was the colour touch screen and the ability to control all points and routes using the display. Plus, once programmed in, there is no need to try to remember loco or accessory addresses. 

I have set it up to facilitate full route control but have yet to experiment with block detection which I perhaps do not need on my layout. 

I guess the message here is make the investment as this piece of kit is an all in one solution that avoids the need to build a separate control panel as it accommodates a number of layouts so is a multi layout tool,  and which facilitates operation through the likes of iTrain. 

Essentially it’s the dogs do-dahs! 

3 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Let's hope they make much larger versions of smart phones for seniors then..!

Have you seen the size of the ‘phones and tablets that are available now? You can get very large screen sizes.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Have you seen the size of the ‘phones and tablets that are available now? You can get very large screen sizes.

Yes.

Samsung have a Tab with a 14.6" screen, Apple's not too far behind.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

My Samsung Galaxy Note phone has a 6.3" screen - the latest Galaxy Note goes up to 6.8". They ain't small...

Yours, Mike.

My out of date budget Motorola phone has a 5.7" screen.

My Galaxy tablet is 7", which IMHO is too big for a phone

Just now, melmerby said:

My Galaxy tablet is 7", which IMHO is too big for a phone

My Galaxy Note fits in a shirt pocket, which is my test for size.

A Chinese colleague had a much larger Huawei phone, well over 7" on the diagonal, which had us somewhat envious - but it would not have gone into a shirt pocket and was also never sold outside China.

Yours, Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I much prefer a physical control, either a rotary dial (favourite) or slider (still good) for speed control. Touch screens are excellent for many things and work very well for binary functions but for control of a parameter like speed I like not only the tactile feel of a physical control but also find fine control much easier. I fully accept that is just personal preference and others will differ. That's the thing about UIs, it's all preference. That said, I also recognize the cost advantages of a fully software based interface using a standard device to eliminate more bespoke solutions. However, cheaper is not necessarily better. 

The optimum is probably a hybrid approach using a PC work station or device touch screen interface for most functions along with physical controls for key functions. That's pretty much the approach in industrial control system UI design such as for power plants, ships, petro-chem etc.