Questions or information relating to the DCC controllers list thread

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt

Thanks for adding the Multimaus to the list, for anybody else link below:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106867-dcc-controller-list-basic-review-by-owners/?p=2266537

I've never seen the display on the Multimaus all lit up, it's a nice large size without all of the clutter.

I didn't realise it didn't read back CV's or do consists either.

That track connector socket, is it easy enough to get hold of another plug in case you lose one?

Thanks again for adding to the list.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Matt

Nice review of the Multimaus, a couple of things might be worth clarifying:-

1. The full programming track connection (so you can read back CVs) is provided on the optional 10785 Rocomotion interface (which also includes a computer interface and comes with a license for a cut down version of Railroad and Co).
  2. If you have a spare 10761 or 10764 amplifier it can be used as an additional booster just by connecting the 'booster out' connections together with a 4-way cable. Just make sure that you Don't use the second 'Master' or 'Slave' connectors!
  3. Route setting is not impossible, it can be done with the optional 10772 RouteControl.
  • Like 2

An excellent review by Matt, but it is incorrect to say...."There is no way of building a loco consist using the Multimaus".

Whilst it is true that there is no "automated' provision for creating consists, it can be done manually.

Here are two explanations of how to do it....

From the Australian Railpage forum..... here

From RMweb's very own Nigel Cliffe.... Post 54 here 

Also note that where Matt refers to the Roco 10764 as a "Booster" (which it is), Roco describe it as an "Amplifier".

This probably reflects the fact that it also serves as the connection point for the system's XpressNet devices (i.e. the throttles).

The Roco 10765 "Booster" is the associated additional booster for the MultiMaus system, essentially being the same as the 10764 "Amplifier", but without the Master & Slave XpressNet hub (i.e. sockets).

(note also Suzie's point 2 above, that the "Amplifier can also be used as an additional Booster.)

Incidentally, the Roco 10785 Rocomotion Interface and 10772 RouteControl are discontinued items and can now only be sourced secondhand.

The latter was discontinued about 8 to10 years ago and is much sought after. Needless to say they are like Gold dust.

[Additional edit 28th April]

Regarding the MultiMaus Pro, mentioned in the review.

Indeed, the wireless MultiMaus Pro was available for just a few years, but was rapidly replaced by the introduction of the Z21/z21 system.

I'm pretty sure (need to check) that unlike the standard MultiMaus, the Command station was not located in the Blue MultiMaus handset, but more conventionally housed with the Booster in the multiZENTRALE Pro main unit?.

Again I'm not 100% sure on that.

The MultiMaus Pro differed by replacing the "Digital Amplifier" with the "multiZENTRALE Pro", which contained the wireless base station, Command Station (see above), Power Station (Booster) and Computer interface.

The MultiMaus Pro handset is Blue in colour.

The Pro came bundled with a copy of Roco's RocoMotion layout control software, had a programming track output and therefore could read back CV's.

A regular MultiMaus tethered handset can be plugged in and used with the Pro, but a Pro handset cannot be used with a regular MultiMaus system."

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

Thanks Ian - I'm not sure if you can get replacement connectors stand alone, but eBay will probably allow you to source a replacement lead - usually it has short length of Roco track attached.

Suzie - yep I was aware you could gang together a couple of boosters/amplifiers, just forgot to mention it. And having looked inside, yes they are the same but without the sockets! As Ron said the 10785 and 10772 are rather rare and when I have seen them they are rather expensive - that's why I didn't mention them - a SPROG is the cheapest addition to the Multimaus for this IMHO.

Ron - fair point on the consists - I've added 'automated' to the review to clarify, that's what I meant away - obviously anything that allows you to program CVs means you can manually setup a consist - although this may be too long winded for most people!

Glad someone read the review ;-)

• Like 3

For those that are not aware, the new Wi-Fi MultiMaus handset (the Black one) is designed to be used with the Z21/z21 system and cannot be used as a handset with the standard MultiMaus system.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm after an entry level DCC Control Package to test my sound locos on a piece of track and just wanted some advice on which is the best one for function and price?

The products I'm currently looking at are the following;

1. Gaugemaster DCC01 Prodigy Express

2. Bachmann 36-500 EZ Command

3. Hornby R8213 DCC Select

4. Any others I have missed that are recommended?

I can pretty much get the above between £55 to £120 which is the range I'm willing to spend for the purpose of loco testing, sort of kneeling towards the DCC01 Prodigy but must admit overall manufacturers or retailers need to up their game in describing what exactly these DCC Controllers can do as I am struggling to ascertain the maximum functions these devices can control on a sound loco.

All the locos I have atm are modern image and purchased within the last 2 years thus all run the latest sound decoders (i.e. V4x) with my latest edition being the Class 68 with Biffo sound, I just want a good controller at this level that can get the most out of my locos whilst testing until I can build a full layout in the future which I can't do at the moment due to property restrictions, then I'll move into the big boy arena of DCC controllers.

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52

Probably NCE Powercab should be top of your list. If you are testing sound you will need something that does all 29 functions.

Thanks Suzie that is really helpful, thus I assume all 3 I had mentioned do not access all 29 functions? What about the DCC01 Prodigy Express?

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann EZ-Command doesn't access all 29 functions.

The Hornby Select will only access all 29 if it's been updated to v1.5 firmware, it is also limited in the CV's it can program!

I'm not too sure on the Prodigy Express, I thought it only accessed up to function 20, but could be wrong.

As you say you want it for testing, the I would say the easiest to use for CV set up is the NCE PowerCab, I wouldn't say it's the best for function operation, nor the worst.

Trust me, I have the Hornby Elite! Don't get me wrong its actually a very capable controller, very menu driven which you get used to, but the function operation is a nightmare!!

You really need to be able to change each function to momentary or latching and have easy access to the functions or it will drive you mad!

Try and use a DCC controller first with a sound loco and see how you get on.

There is always the new "ACE" controller from Signa-Trak, link below:-

https://www.signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dcc-controller-accessories/dcs2044-ace

For the money it's a great system, and the nice large touch screen makes it easy to change CV's and operate functions!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Thanks Suzie that is really helpful, thus I assume all 3 I had mentioned do not access all 29 functions? What about the DCC01 Prodigy Express?

It only does F0-F12 fully, and F13-F15 partially. Manual here:-

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc01.pdf

The Multimaus is probably a better choice than the Prodigy Express since it does up to F20, but still does not do all of them.

Edited by Suzie

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm after an entry level DCC Control Package to test my sound locos on a piece of track and just wanted some advice on which is the best one for function and price?

I can pretty much get the above between £55 to £120 which is the range I'm willing to spend for the purpose of loco testing, sort of kneeling towards the DCC01 Prodigy but must admit overall manufacturers or retailers need to up their game in describing what exactly these DCC Controllers can do as I am struggling to ascertain the maximum functions these devices can control on a sound loco.

All the locos I have atm are modern image and purchased within the last 2 years thus all run the latest sound decoders (i.e. V4x) with my latest edition being the Class 68 with Biffo sound, I just want a good controller at this level that can get the most out of my locos whilst testing until I can build a full layout in the future which I can't do at the moment due to property restrictions, then I'll move into the big boy arena of DCC controllers.

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

If you have a laptop, sprog 2 at £45 is worth considering.

Hi Steve,

In view of what you are going to use DCC for I agree with the suggestion that a Sprog 2 with DecoderPro on a laptop would be a good choice for you.

The Sprog can be used for running locos - not just programming them.

Thanks

I can pretty much get the above between £55 to £120 which is the range I'm willing to spend for the purpose of loco testing,.....

As others have said "none of the above".  And, at £120 price ceiling you are seriously limited in wanting to test sound locos.   Probably the Sprog is your best bet at the budget quoted.  Or DIY things with a DCC++ system (an Arduino board, a motor shield, and a computer to run software to control it all). 

The things you need are 29 functions. Ability to program full range of CVs, which means up to CV1024, both reading (programming track) and whilst running ("on the main").  And ability to set all function keys as latching or non-latching.   

I doubt anything in the sub £120 price bracket as a complete system (as distinct from the options which use a computer) will do that. 

Cheapest that might meet the spec, possibly the Ace from Signa-Track mentioned in the thread or an Uhlenbrock Daisy II, both well over your budget limit.   The NCE PowerCab comes close (can't do the function latching/non-latching part), but is still 30% over your price ceiling.   

- Nigel

As others have said "none of the above".  And, at £120 price ceiling you are seriously limited in wanting to test sound locos.   Probably the Sprog is your best bet at the budget quoted.  Or DIY things with a DCC++ system (an Arduino board, a motor shield, and a computer to run software to control it all). 

The things you need are 29 functions. Ability to program full range of CVs, which means up to CV1024, both reading (programming track) and whilst running ("on the main").  And ability to set all function keys as latching or non-latching.   

I doubt anything in the sub £120 price bracket as a complete system (as distinct from the options which use a computer) will do that. 

Cheapest that might meet the spec, possibly the Ace from Signa-Track mentioned in the thread or an Uhlenbrock Daisy II, both well over your budget limit.   The NCE PowerCab comes close (can't do the function latching/non-latching part), but is still 30% over your price ceiling.   

- Nigel

I really appreciate everyone's input and advice as I am fairly new to the railway modeling scene and never have owned or even operated a DCC controller but pretty computer and component savvy.

I have been collecting modern image locomotives for the past 2 years and pretty much know what I want to do going forward when I have the capacity to start building a layout which will hopefully resemble a modern TMD with an adjacent 4 track mainline but that's for another day. I have got to a point where I've purchased a whole heap of locos and never heard them run thus just want to setup a long straight and just test them and marvel at their sound/operating abilities, my current situation doesn't allow me to expand any further than that unfortunately until I move house.

So having said all that I am willing to spend a few more pounds and lean towards the NCE Power Cab Starter but must admit the SPROG 3 has caught my eye which now comes with 3.5amps and with a 15V power supply and I can get it for £75 from Coastal DCC which seems like a bargain and hook it up to the JMRI software which appears to have a lot of functionality, the only downside would be an absent hand held controller as it is all computer controlled.

I am also scanning eBay for any bargains on traditional controllers like the NCE Power Cab but not holding my breath.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52

Use a Raspberry Pi 3 as your computer with the Sprog (or you can buy a special Pi Sprog) and you can use a phone/tablet/pod as your throttle - and it will still be in budget.

Computing hardware isn't a problem working in IT plus I have 2 laptops and an iPad so just need the right cheap DCC Controller whether it connects to my laptop/iPad device or not.

As mentioned previously the SPROG 3 sounds tempting and will cost no more than £75.

It only does F0-F12 fully, and F13-F15 partially. Manual here:-

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc01.pdf

The Multimaus is probably a better choice than the Prodigy Express since it does up to F20, but still does not do all of them.

The manual on the Gaugemaster website is for the discontinued Prodigy Express, which was replaced by the Prodigy Express Squared at least two or three years ago.

Gaugemaster mysteriously kept the same model number DCC01 for the uprated version.

The current model Express has F0-28, although access to the higher number functions is cumbersome.

The manual for the Squared is available on the MRC website.

Edited by Oakydoke

• 1 year later...

Bachmann EZ Command Centres, 36-500 "Grey-case " vs 36-501 "Blue-case ", the latter the  current  model in the 2018 catalogue.

From  an e-mail from Bachmann, the software code is identical in both grey or blue case units, the difference is the power supply input has changed from AC to DC.

Useful information if offered an old 36-500  at a bargain price and there are concerns as to compatibilty with the latest DCC components etc.

Edited by Pandora

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I note in the review of the Bachman EZ command that the supplied transformer seems to give out excessive voltage (around 20 volts) is there a UK spec one that can be used with this controller that is closer to the desired 15 volts available?

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I note in the review of the Bachman EZ command that the supplied transformer seems to give out excessive voltage (around 20 volts) is there a UK spec one that can be used with this controller that is closer to the desired 15 volts available?

Note that the review was for the old version of the EZ Command (grey colour).

This has since been superceded by a new version (blue colour).

You would need to check if this issue is still present with the new, DC powered model.

Ron

• Thanks 1

It is the track output that you need to worry about not the PSU input.

Some systems will regulate the output to a specific set voltage, some will simply reduce the input voltage by taking of a fixed amount.

Also if that is the OEM PSU then I would run with that as the makers tend to know what is required (though I realise that this is Bachmann ;) )

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

It is the track output that you need to worry about not the PSU input.

Some systems will regulate the output to a specific set voltage, some will simply reduce the input voltage by taking of a fixed amount.

Also if that is the OEM PSU then I would run with that as the makers tend to know what is required (though I realise that this is Bachmann ;) )

Hi, 

Ron is correct my review was using the AC power supply that comes with the old EZ Command controller.

By replacing the supplied AC power supply with a variable type I was able to lower the input voltage which in turn dropped the track voltage to a much better level.

I was measuring about 20v on the track, way too high.

So you do need to worry about the input voltage, with this OLD type power supply.

Cheers

Ian

• Thanks 1