Close Cell Underlay Foam at Poundland. (Excercise mat).

I had to go to Poundland today at a High Street in the Birmingham area and came across the following.

'Active Life Sport Multi-Purpose Excercise Mat 990mm x 500mm'.

The address PO Box 13657 BIRMINGHAM B2 2FQ, on the lable is Poundlands address.

The foam is quite a close cell, not like other thicker excercise mats.

post-3520-0-84034000-1452363554_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-49664900-1452363504_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-56272600-1452363522_thumb.jpg

The thickness of this foam is around 4mm. (I am not at home at present, so do not have access to calipers, or even a ruler).
Recovery rate of the foam is very good. Squeeze as hard as you can and see how long it takes to fully recover, about 15 - 20 seconds.

A couple more photos:-

post-3520-0-84031900-1452370730_thumb.jpg

post-3520-0-47062300-1452370737_thumb.jpg

I didn't put the price as I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask.

I only bought 10 rolls as that is all they had.

My railway is in the loft, been there about 20 yrs the underlay  Peko I think it came mail order with the track.. has turned into a powder sticky mess I have taken up some of the track and brushed it off

The mess has got every ware carpet ruined, It has clogged up the wheels on the stock.

Any thoughts please

My railway is in the loft, been there about 20 yrs the underlay  Peko I think it came mail order with the track.. has turned into a powder sticky mess I have taken up some of the track and brushed it off

The mess has got every ware carpet ruined, It has clogged up the wheels on the stock.

Any thoughts please

This is a well known result of using this type of foam underlay. It is, I believe, caused by the plasticisers used in the construction of the foam plus there may be an element of natural rubber in the mix and this degrades and rots as most natural products do over time.

There is no real cure and experimentation is needed to ascertain which solvent to use without causing more damage. My suggestion would be to start with one of those computer/electric cleaners in aerosol form. That will not damage the stock.

The carpet is likely beyond repair as the foam detritus will have welded itself to the carpet fibre unless it is pure wool. You might find that IPA will shift the worst of it but in reality, it might well result in smearing.

I doubt that cleaning all the track is a viable option and it might be best to hoover up all the dust and see if you can re-stabilise the remainder in order to cover it in ballast.

I used the poundland exercise mat for concrete areas in the depot,

98759023fe0912b65d206081e31fd23bf3f15d1d

the dark grey is the exercise mat and the light is thin foam from Hobbycraft.

with a coat of emulsion and some concrete coloured spray,

gallery_16311_3509_124380.jpg

gallery_16311_3509_194995.jpg

Hope these ones don't disintegrate!

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

If this is the grey version of the blue ones they used to sell.....

Be careful with any Cyno based glue - for 2 reasons!

1 - It reacts to the cyno

2 - It gives off some horrible fumes when it reacts

I think a little test sample done outdoors first is called for!

If no reaction - great!

If it reacts - find another glue and try that.

Thanks

On my old layout I used Copydex to stick the foam down and never had any reaction problems.

Only real problem I had was when drilling through for wiring etc, that the Copydex adhesive, when dry wrapped itself around the drill bit, pulling it from between the foam and the baseboard. Solution was to cut a small round hole down to the baseboard through the foam and the Copydex before drilling.

PVA was fine on foam for ballasting.

Archived