Farish MK1 end doors.

Mr chapman

Hello. Just a quick one here... I'm adding detailing bits to some farish MK1's. The knuckles and pipes are self explanatory. But what are the end doors about? I have one with rounded corners and a rectangular one. I assume as I've got one of each with each coach they are for the ends of the train only? Is one an earlier or regional type? They are going on a 50's-60's set. The rounded one also has lamp brackets.

Thanks in advance :)

For ends of a train only.  Kindly provided by the railways on the grounds that when passengers fall out of the back of a train there is a ridiculous amount of paperwork generated... :O

I suspect the rounded one at the tail end of the train with the other next to the engine. 

No doubt someone will give chapter and verse.   Springside, amongst others do lamps to hang on them.

Hope this helps.

Les

I think the end boards fell out of use with B.R around the 1970s.  A few are still in use on preserved railways.  I have a feeling they were banned from use on routes under overhead electrification due to the risk of staff touching the wires when fixing and removing the boards.

what was wrong with just locking the sliding door on the end of the mk 1s?

The number of folk who had illicit keys, even back to Victorian times.  My great-grandfather had one.  I wish I knew what became of it- he showed the key to me when I was a small boy, but I was only eleven when he died (at 91 though he always claimed he was older having lied about his age to get in the army....)

It wasn't entirely unknown for a locked-off buffet car at the back of a train to be opened.  The episode of the Navy Lark where CPO Pertwee opens a locked door at the tail of a train was based in part on real events.

Les

Archived