Model Railway Restoration - Painting the Viaduct and Retaining Walls and Point Mods

Chris64B

On 27/07/2016 at 03:02, class"66" said:

Looking forward to another update now Chris.. :senile:

I'm afraid all I can give you is my first painted buffer stop!

I'm quite pleased how it turned out and how much of an improvement these Peco ones are over the old Hornby ones that graced the layout originally.

To add a little bit more interest I've added a tiebar with a bit of thin wire and I painted it in matt black first, then the red and off white and finally a dry brush with some dust/rusty brown acrylic...several more to do but made a nice change!

IMG_5716.JPG.40681fff50de8aeadb472a4dc872a17c.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG.38e33463d317cfb2c233b72d138d6a7f.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG.26e8ecaddc5e9835fb0316faba86cc9b.JPG

I've also done my first bit of ballasting (pics soon) and purchased some plasticard/Wills cement rendering to re-construct the level crossing following some advice in a separate thread here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113152-level-crossing-construction-advice/. I'm also planning to have a go at making the anti-tresspass planks you get too which should be a nice bit of detail.

Also have a new toy on order and an overdue update on another that arrived a little while back....

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris64B
Edited to repair broken images
  • Like 2

Hello!

As mentioned above I've now made a start on the ballasting - some photographic proof below...

I've gone for a bit of a home brew ballast - c.3 parts fine granite ballast from Cheltenham Model Centre (sieved to get rid of the bigger bits) to c.2 parts Woodland Scenics fine grey. Like all things it's subjective but I felt the CMC granite ballast was a little bit too big and the WS too small and uniform so to me, mixing them gives a good blend and provides a bit more texture and colour variety than using the WS on its own.

I applied it using the time honoured spooning, brushing and index finger method and fixed it all down with a dilute Copydex mix:

DSC_0629.JPG.3a7b94cf72dda6820d4891ec0e484f16.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG.879eb9c44422911155f11140c29ecb6f.JPG

Once dry I gave it a very dilute wash with Vallejo burnt umber which really helped lose the pale blue/grey granite colour and the bright pale grey of the WS took the colour well - I'll do a bit more targeted colour washing and weathering later:

DSC_0671.JPG.078ca76bd4e42cbe9f4509979974cb64.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG.571ea1adb6ec12deb56b32a2213ea3c6.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG.59741b83673de3e3118d3d5cbda1304b.JPGIMG_5786.JPG.16473caaea00c6415962d7fb5e7e9251.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG

I'm pretty pleased with it for a first attempt and looking forward to doing more soon.

I've also started reconstructing the level crossing as my Plastruct rod and Wills sheet arrived (have posted this same update in that separate level crossing thread).

So far I've been focusing on the anti-trespass planks, see what you think....

First up I'm using the Plastruct 1mm wide quarter round rod - its a 10 pack and each is 26cm long. After a bit of trail and error I decided to cut it into 2cm lengths as it looked 'about right' by eye:

DSC_0657.JPG.86430eea90e04e774eeb5afa7817a838.JPG

I went for 8 planks between the rails which matched the prototype in most photos and left enough space for the wheel flanges to run through without problems. I'm pretty pleased with the profile and although I did try sanding the round side slightly it really didn't make much difference visually so I stuck with the original profile:

DSC_0661.JPG.a94ffdf9995370a8a6d479a8444517ff.JPG

Construction/glueing took place on the track to ensure the correct spacing. Two plasticard braces/frames were blue-tacked onto the sleepers temporarily and I superglued the planks to them:

DSC_0665.JPG.953b9f00583958626a2f3b961d3351ba.JPG

I've been doing an hour or so over the last few evenings - they go together pretty quickly and look great when painted (I will be ballasting beneath them, they just resting there at present):

DSC_0676.JPG.7eb38a6887df049eec2120312c792a17.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG.d5e1c8ff75d9640ebe8e957ed04a214d.JPG

Overall I'm pleased how they're turing out - simple, cheap and effective (like me!)

A little bit more to do and I'll post another update when I move onto the roadway using the Wills sheets.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris64B
  • Like 4

Hah thanks Marcus! I like the scenic stuff and detailing locos etc so I can enjoy that while my son play trains (I enjoy that too)!

Although I'm having to consider how to make things a bit more robust/replaceable to contend with his three year old hands! :senile:

Edited by Chris64B
  • Like 1

Chris, all the detail you have just added, the ballasting cable troughs, point motors and the LX look really great and makes it all look the part.

The level crossing anti trespass grids are just top notch and make such a difference even during part build.

Really inspiring me to get on with my ballasting.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, and thanks for the recent compliments!

Sorry for the lack of updates in the last few weeks - here's a bumper edition to bring us up to date....

The summer holidays have been busy but I have managed a bit of modelling here and there in between building a log store, some DIY and a holiday in Guernsey - my son was a bit distressed there might not be any trains on the island but we managed to find a few (with real working steam no less!) at the West Show:

IMG_5891.JPG.5527af9726c156c22863fdbcd1c7f2b1.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG.de44af1ef9208ad5a8c7ba92535ac4cf.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG.307fd8f93a4e56cbae1f2a321137b771.JPG

Back on the layout, construction of the level crossing has continued apace (well, sort of). I've finished the concrete bomacs using Wills cement sheet, scribed and painted/detailed to represent the individual panels:

DSC_0678.JPG.3086bb56df696a1c86a19a935f195c06.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG.ca658d0ff9bcc69704ee212d95f3f03e.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG.5404ee57a233d384fe3f5b043d7ba70b.JPG

I've also painted the Hornby AHBs and (shortened their barriers) to be more realistic - before:

DSC_0781.JPG.af21300152f7d0912c4eb517bcb89fb2.JPG

...and after:

DSC_0783.JPG.92c23219fa889165205b0a603601ba9c.JPG

And also had a go at making some picket fence to go around them from some old Hornby platform fence I had lying around:

DSC_0705.JPG.6c228a997ed64d1f3df5227e69c6c9a0.JPG

There's a bit more to do (finish making the anti-trespass panels to fit up to the fences, make the road, glue everything down etc) but I'm pleased how it's turning out:

IMG_6067.JPG.33e01a6453207b6e6f7cb458356d877b.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG.284d786d84fadd7f0d12d08911b6b89d.JPG

Next up, I've been making and painting some more trackside details including drainage blocks/covers out of scribed balsa (and making use of Jim Smith-Wright's excellent manhole and drain etches) and Knightwing point heaters:

DSC_0654.JPG.81d7438e6bda7c967deea2e51fba3cb9.JPG

DSC_0803.JPG.9b2bf04c6483617a38eb8ae98b3a7a61.JPG

And most excitingly there are a couple of new locos on the roster!

A class 08 shunter (Hornby):

IMG_6057.JPG.82cde871417cf4ea5c44dcbd821a06aa.JPG

IMG_6059.JPG.0d92f2a9875daac5262c797294e3a42d.JPG

And a class 128 DPU (Heljan):

IMG_6062.JPG.61dfb5198980ffb3a691bd4c8d52e934.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG.53e97ff130114b2a62ae14d1e2c79dd2.JPG

IMG_6064.JPG.a1fdaf401ca64325e1502bba8e72ceca.JPG

These are the first 'new generation' models I've purchased and I'm very impressed with the level of detail and smooth running capabilities - quite a revelation (apart from the cost!). I did have a minor disaster with the Heljan 128 DPU when I dropped it onto a wooden floor! I assumed it would have been smashed to pieces but when I dismantled it I was very relieved there was relatively minor damage (both the plastic joints that locate the bogies/gearboxes and allow them to swivel had broken lugs) and that replacement parts were available at low cost. Miraculously the body didn't suffer any damage, especially considering the weight of the metal chassis and being dropped from waist height!

So that's about it for now - happy modelling!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. LongRail - I'll try and get some longer range shots for you soon but the layouts covered in junk at the mo!

P.P.S Isn't modern technology great? I had an enjoyable evening in the garage last weekend ballasting the model railway, while catching up on the F1 via wifi on the tablet, while having a pint (very pleasant 'Quarter-Master' from Pope's Yard Brewery) - who say's men can't multi-task?!

DSC_0817.JPG.eb203f8675645177c52d8a1e40460696.JPG

Edited by Chris64B
  • Like 9

Thanks both!

Yeah pretty happy with the level crossing bomacs and should blend in nicely once I've weathered them a little bit more and painted on some road markings - I've used a bit of modellers licence to get them to fit the three track curves as looking at pictures there seem to be a couple of standardised panel sizes that fit a normal one or two track railway but it gives the right effect.

Been making some progress with the ballasting and minor bits and bobs but nothing worth photographing really so next update when there's a bit more to show.

Cheers,

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again everyone - sorry it's been a while! Thanks for the compliment Steggy!

I'm going to make an effort to up-date this more freqently - I'll try 'little and often', rather than storing up a few weeks progress so each update might be shorter just describing a few evenings work but at least it'll keep a bit of momentum on the thread!

So here's what I've been up to in the last few weeks to bring you up to speed....

Ballasting has continued, including under the tunnel (you can see in as there is a long slot cut into the side board - I'm also thinking of a way to produce a tunnel liner so you don't see all the way under the upper level!). I just need to finish a bit on the loop platform then the whole of the outer circuits will be done!

DSC_0847.JPG.f97ccd8a33bbce9bcb54c0a15d3a1718.JPG

DSC_0848.JPG.9bc1a1fa3b5b4a3ddcf82b3ee9bd6ade.JPG

I've been trying to finish up some of the trackside details, so here's a look at how I've added some details to the dummy point motors. First up I file a slot in the cable socket bits at the end:

DSC_0864.JPG.597135b4710c002af20d3c7189180f17.JPG

Then I can cut and bend some suitable wire to represent the cables and actuating rods - these are superglued in place along with some tiny bits of sleepers to stick out on the other side so it looks like the motor is mounted to the extended sleepers:

DSC_0867.JPG.479d8caf736bbf18f2ee69cb0e2d48cb.JPG

Here's how they look in situ with some orange trunking (the cables still need painting satin black):

DSC_0868.JPG.11e7da9449ade50322afafd7b85afe31.JPG

I've also been painting new buffer stops and some AWS ramps and these will all be fitted shortly:

IMG_6205.JPG.3cc01380e0190951098e067c8ddebdc7.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG.66145474cb06d4aceb97212a2d734285.JPG

Next up I'll add some photos about my plans for the platforms...

Bye for now, Chris.

Edited by Chris64B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Your thread has just brought a massive smile to my face Chris.

I'm not normally one for small set track roundy roundies but your enthusiasm to take this to another planet is brilliant and that level crossing is something else buddy.

And as for the buffer stops, they're miles better than some supposed 'top notch' exhibition layouts!!

Really looking forward to some more updates on this!

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's very kind!

I guess I think just because it's a small roundy-roundy doesn't mean the scenics and other aspects can't be realistic - I really enjoy the getting stuck in to the modelling and being able to 'play trains' with my little boy is a bonus - he's learning to be very careful with all the detailed bits!!

Off topic slightly - picking up on your username, does it relate to an Impreza Type RA? I've been looking at early ones (V1/V2 STIs or 555s) and getting very tempted!!

Cheers Chris

Great to have an update Cbris. Sometimes life just distractes us with other commitments.

The aerial view really helps to give some context of the layout as a whole. Love the deails you have been doing, must get some point motors, AWS etc. as they look great and help to distract the eye from the Peco point deficiencies.

The wire detail to the points motor works really well.

Looking forward to the next installment.

• RMweb Gold

Really like your detail, especially impressed with the extended timbers for the point machines (don't forget to paint them the same colour as those they extend from!), and the connecting rods. For the AHB you need some modellers licence because the risk of grounding is probably too high, and for many years now the maximum number of lines has been two. There was one at Floriston (north of Carlisle) which had three until 'recently'. I'm getting old, recently is probably 15-20 years ago now!

Very very impressive, and looks the part too.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Really like your detail, especially impressed with the extended timbers for the point machines (don't forget to paint them the same colour as those they extend from!), and the connecting rods. For the AHB you need some modellers licence because the risk of grounding is probably too high, and for many years now the maximum number of lines has been two. There was one at Floriston (north of Carlisle) which had three until 'recently'. I'm getting old, recently is probably 15-20 years ago now!

Very very impressive, and looks the part too.

Paul.

If Chris could get hold of another set of Hornby barriers (and come up with a way of representing a couple of CCTV cameras then he could always turn the crossing into a for more realistic 4 barriered , controlled one, especially as AHBS are rarely found at stations having loops etc (due to all the problems of meeting the strict requirements associated with them - including that 85% of trains MUST be passing over the crossing 37 seconds after the sequence starts).

Thanks Paul and Phil! A few others had mentioned the AHBs not being very likely near a station for the reasons you mention. Perhaps I'll look into something more suitable - any suggestions for kits or suppliers for full barriers?

Phil you mentioned getting hold of some more of the Hornby ones - do you mean the existing AHBs I have already and 'pair them' on each side? Can't say I've seen that anywhere, did it happen?

• RMweb Premium

Phil you mentioned getting hold of some more of the Hornby ones - do you mean the existing AHBs I have already and 'pair them' on each side? Can't say I've seen that anywhere, did it happen?

Yes that is what I was suggesting. The vast majority of manned barrier installations (be they CCTV, OD or controlled from an adjacent signal box) are of the 4 boom type. As such a quick fix to give the 4 boom 'look' would be to get hold of another set of the Hornby stuff and mod it slightly to give you 4 booms in total (2 per side), then add CCTV camera mast and it would give the feel of prototype practice

It would however - as you are aware - still be a compromise though because in the real world barriers on such crossings have to be fitted with collapseable skirts to 'fence' off the railway when the barriers are lowered but the AHB equipment modelled by Hornby lacks the provision for such fitments (In reality the type of barrier pedestal used by Hornby hasn't been installed new for decades now and modern designs are suitable for both AHB and full barriered crossings). Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who makes an accurate model of the bits found on a typical 4 barriered controlled level crossing so you may have to scratch build a solution (Dimensions etc of the prototype can be arranged if necessary)

Edited by phil-b259

After a quick search on the web, it is quite apparent there is not a lot out there in kit or ready made form for true 4 barrier LX.  However, I did come across a gem, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ux7OmFKbw.  Yep, that is in 4mm, with working barrier skirts and lights.  A bit more of a search on the layout name lead me to Dagworth of this parish and his layout Ravensclyffe http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3288-ravensclyffe/

And to top it all off, here are his step by step photos of the barrier construction https://www.flickr.com/photos/dagworth/sets/72157631808497111/.  There was a construction topic in old RMweb, but that appears to have been lost.

So, over to you now Chris, working gates and lights ? ;-)

I will certainly be bottom drawing a link those photos for future ref. and a project, one day.

• Like 1