BR Airbraked And Other Stock Reference Books

Hi All,

First post of 2016 so happy New Year to you and yours.

I'm currenty working on a couple of Lima Tiger PCAs, re-wheeling them to EM gauge, instanter couplings and hopefully sprung buffers if I can get the correct type. The PCAs were built with three different types of braking system, shoe, diagonally disc-braked and disc-brakes all round. I need a reference book(s) to gain information on these and other BR wagons and rolling stock in use from the early 80s through to the end of BR.

While I'm asking, is there also a particular series of books or individual ones that give good detail about locomotives, technical details and liveries during the same period?

I'd be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction please.

Regards,

Mark

On the wagon side you could try "British railway modelling book no.3 Modern wagons in 4mm scale, making the best of ready to run models, by Nigel Burkin"

Nigel Burkin has done several books about modelling modern image wagons and locos and on converting them to EM gauge, so keep looking out for them.

There is also the series of books by David Larkin "Working wagons volumes 1 - 4 and Civil engineers wagons volume 1-3 "

hope these are of some use,

.....I'd be gathering together/consulting numerous close up images of the wagons which I intended to model from the various wagon websites so that I could understand the detail differences better and group individual features. Wagon books often have just one or two images of individual wagon types and a number of books might be necessary to get enough views. I would also be googling PCAs in 4mm to see which modellers/groups have made the best job of upgrading the Lima model so far.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

You might find "BR Air-Braked Wagons in Colour" by David Ratcliffe of use.

But defo. would recommend Nigel Burkin's book already mentioned if you're modelling modern image exclusively.

The David Larkin books are good, only downside is that all the pics are Black & White.

Hope this helps. Chris

Edited by Geep7

There were some useful "spotters books" which gave quite a lot of detail of build date, use etc. Such as

Dickenson, J. & Dickenson C (1990) Private owner wagon fleet. SCT Publishing, Hampshire, England. ISBN 1 872768 05-9. 192 pages.

Dickenson, J. & Ifold, P (1994) Air braked series Wagon fleet no’s 100000 – 990049 (second edition) SCT Publishing, Hampshire, England. ISBN 1 872768 13 X. 112 pages.

Dickenson, J. & Ifold, P (1994) Engineers series Wagon fleet no’s DB970000 - 999900 (second edition) SCT Publishing, Hampshire, England. ISBN 1 872768 12 1. 80 pages.

Dickenson, J. (1994) British Rail wagon fleet British Railways “B” – prefixed series freight stock B125611 – B955247. SCT Publishing, Hampshire, England. ISBN 1 872768 11 3. 112 pages.

Dickenson, John & Mott Stewart (1990) R.I.V. Wagon fleet SCT Publishing, Hampshire, England. ISBN 1 872768 07 5. 96 pages.

Marshall A (1989) Private Owner wagons Volume 1 TOPS types PAA- PHA & PJA - PXX 1st edition pub by Metro Enterprises Ltd, Baildon, Shipley ISBN 0-947773-13-4. 96 pages

Marshall A (1990) International ferry wagons 1st edition pub by Metro Enterprises Ltd, , Baildon, Shipley ISBN 0-947773-20-7. 144 pages

Marshall A (1990) Private Owner wagons Volume 2 Tank wagons pub by Metro Enterprises Ltd, , Baildon, Shipley ISBN 0-947773-16-9. 144 pages

Marshall A (1992) Private Owner wagons Volume 1 TOPS types JAA-KXX & PAA- PXX 2nd edition pub by Metro Enterprises Ltd, Batley, W. Yorkshire ISBN 0-947773-22-3. 96 pages

Although there are more up to date spotters books they tend to omit any detail and list the numbers.

Paul Bartlett

• 5 years later...