Loaded 16T Steel Mineral wagon interior weathering

As you seemed to like the last pic I found, here's another of the inside of some steel opens loaded with slack, presumably for a power station, taken in 1964. There is also an ex-works van.

Tony

That looks very much like what we used to call 'Duff' in the anthracite producing area of South-West Wales. Apart from power station use, it was often mixed with a binding agent (I've heard of clay, bitumen or cement being used), then compressed into briquettes of varying sizes. In the heyday of the Welsh coal industry, most exporting ports had at least one plant for doing this, often referred to as 'Patent Fuel' works. The stuff used to rot the bottom of the doors and sides; places like Coedbach would pack straw into the resultant holes, and traces would be seen hanging out of the wagon. The last place to deal with duff was in Immingham, I believe, and Coedbach used to send at least one trainload per week there.

The picture makes the point as well that the internal sides of these wagons in service were a dark rust colour, with any paint applied on manufacture presumably being scoured away quickly by the loading and unloading process.

John.

I don't think the insides were painted at all. If there was any paint at all, it would be at the top, where the painters had 'gone over' when painting the top edge of the sides.

• RMweb Premium

in the Durham coastal pits the coal was quite sulphurous, mix that with a bit of water and then add to steel = rust!  Good shots of the insides of Mineral wagons are a godsend to us weathers!

Archived