drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

I was just reading my copy of the Hornby mag that dropped through the letterbox today, and found out about these. Now, having checked on here, I have found nothing mentioned about these. Does anybody have any further info about these models beyond what has been published.

• RMweb Premium

It isn't clear from your item above whether this is just an article about Drax biomass wagons in the Hornby magazine, or a definite statement that Hornby are bringing these out as a model?

John

• Administrators

The magazine licences the name "Hornby" from the company and does seem to have better relations with them than most. However, they are a separate entity, owned by Key Publications, and so can used non-Hornby products. In the past, Hornby (the company) has employed Model Rail to produce publications so it's not an exclusive deal either way.

I must admit the Drax wagon review was a surprise to me. They didn't even have them on the Warley stand. Interesting that Hornby are doing commissions now too.

As I don't subscribe to Hornby Magazine, can someone tell me if:-

1) Can a loose copy be bought?

2) If a loose copy cannot be bought, then can anyone who has a copy share proper info about that article?

- can non-subscribers buy them?

- how much are they?

- is Hornby making them (I hope so)?

- how can it be ordered?

Many thanks in advance.

The Hornby magazine should be available from most newsagents, model shops and some larger supermarkets.

The model is being commissioned by the Drax Power Station, not the Hornby magazine. So i think the purchasing must be done from

Drax Power station (01757 618381). It is being made by Hornby and the pictures of it look amazing. There is no indication on price (the article states TBC) but you must be looking at £30 plus. Both liveries have the Drax logo on them. I must admit a lengthy rake behind the fourth coming Hornby Drax Power class 60 would look most impressive. The announcement of this model is great news for anyone wanting to model the Tyne, Hull, Liverpool, Immingham and any points In between to Yorkshire.

I must admit I am a bit puzzled by this announcement as to produce a wagon of this size and detail must cost £40,000 plus and to sell just 2,000 dose not make much commercial sense, unless it is being made as a non pfrofit publicity model? or will the model become part of the Hornby range in the future? (and this model is like a joint funding model). Interesting times.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is a Drax Power commission, the model looks superbly done. I wonder if their agreement is that after a certain interval Hornby will use the tooling themselves? Or will it be strictly Drax Power only with Hornby just managing the tooling and production for them? Given how good it looks it'd be a crying shame if the tooling is limited to a short run for Drax Power. The real story is that Hornby are now in the market to provide commissions in terms of tooling new models. In the past they seemed very lukewarm on re-livery commissions never mind managing new tooling on behalf of somebody else. Another sign of the new brooms at Hornby? When I see this it does make me a little sad Hornby do not do more modern releases as when Hornby do go for modern subjects they can be very good.

This reminds me of the relationship LKAB of Sweden had with Roco a few years ago when they assisted Roco's development of some Swedish iron ore train models.

Just to add one more bit of info, the two livery variants are described as the 'swoosh' livery, which is swirls of purple/turquoise colour over silver/grey main livery. The other livery is described as 'powering tomorrow' livery. The samples show that the side cutouts at one end have a detailed representation of internal mechanism, presumably for the lower door release system. 

There is some confusion from my original post (probably due to me posting whilst getting ready for my 8 hours of slavery), so I will post it a bit clearer.

I had just got my copy of the Hornby magazine (not part of Hornby the model manufacturer) and there was a review of the biomass wagon being made by Hornby (manufacturer) for drax (the powerstation). my question was does anybody have any further info about these, and they do come as a surprise because there had been no hint or clues dropped about them.

• RMweb Gold

to produce a wagon of this size and detail must cost £40,000 plus and to sell just 2,000 dose not make much commercial sense, unless it is being made as a non pfrofit publicity model? 

£30x2000=£60000 = £20000 profit. Might not be enough to retire on but makes pretty good commercial sense to me :)

Just to add one more bit of info, the two livery variants are described as the 'swoosh' livery, which is swirls of purple/turquoise colour over silver/grey main livery. The other livery is described as 'powering tomorrow' livery. The samples show that the side cutouts at one end have a detailed representation of internal mechanism, presumably for the lower door release system. 

Having now looked over the article,I think the two different liveries are essentially the 2 different handed versions of the livery (the wagons are not symmetrical, but are all arranged facing the same way), so to allow the livery to continue every other wagon has the design swapped to the other side.

Hope that makes some sense.

Wild Boar Fell

I read the magazine today and to add to the information R6723 shall be 'Drax' swoosh livery and R6724 shall be 'Powering Tomorrow' livery. They do look fantastic in the magazine.

(Shall say £40,000 for tooling does sound rather cheap! Design work, tooling, production costs, taxes.... you shall be looking more like many more times that cost - rrp £50 ish mark I am planning for)