drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

• RMweb Premium

Not sure - but if the 'Swoosh' version is on 'pre-order', presumably (but not necessarily) they're awaiting more stock (of both)?

Maybe, but Hatton's system seems to show models as on pre-order when they sell out on the basis that they will be ordering more. If you look at their site there are Hornby locos showing as on pre-order that have sold out at Hornby, so they will not be getting any more.

As a limited edition, I assumed the drax wagons would all arrive in one delivery. Perhaps not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the guys in our club has got a rake of 18, yes 18.

They look good and run well on the straight section of our 30+ foot layout, but keep coming of on the curves.

He's solved Hornbys financial problems single handedly.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Waverley,

Thanks for the photos.  Are the decals straight on them?  I have only seen a couple (Model Rail had one on their display stand at the SECC last weekend) and it was noticeable that the "Drax" lettering was not level.

cheers

Ben A.

Sorry only took photos of the full rake, rather than individual wagons.

I will try to take some of the individual wagons next Thursday at the club.

In the meantime if anyone has any ideas how to get these wagons to stay on the track when going round curves, please let me know. The gauge of the wheels has been checked, and the curves are fine for all other stock.

The guy in the club who bought them did speak to Hornby at the Glasgow show last week but no real answers were given about their poor running.  He was able to speak to the designer of them who was able to offer advice on how to get into them. This appears to be fairly straightforward.

There is a hollow section on the bogie, between the coupling and the wheels, however putting weight in it appears to result in the inside wheel lifting.

Directly above where the bogie pivots would have seemed an obvious place to put some weight, but this is open from the sides. However it may have to come to putting the weights in there.

Edited by Waverley47708

• RMweb Gold

I'd check the ability of the bogies to move as they are probably either too tight and can only move in one plane or something is stopping them in the pivot design. I found this with the Hornby container flats and all you needed to do was loosen one end by half a turn of the screw to allow that bogie to float more and follow undulations in the track. The container chassis being twisted exaggerated the effect so I twisted them flat very gently! If both ends are too tight ease off the second end a quarter turn too. It may make a significant difference.

I found a similar problem on Brawa locos where the clip on the gear tower restricted the bogie from dealing with changes in gradient, even though it swung sideways easily it fell off at and slight bump on a curve ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

At least the Hornby 0-4-0s which came off at the corners were cheap! :crazy:

I think that had more to do with inertia overcoming centripetal forces at terminal velocity ;) Edited by PaulRhB

I had similar difficulties with Hornby biomass wagons when running a rake of them - they are quite light for such a large wagon

I found a couple of the offending wagons had wheel sets that were not fitted correctly in to the bogies - a simple job to remedy

The running problems completely disappeared after I had fitted Kadee no19 couplings to the wagons

I'd check the ability of the bogies to move as they are probably either too tight and can only move in one plane or something is stopping them in the pivot design. I found this with the Hornby container flats and all you needed to do was loosen one end by half a turn of the screw to allow that bogie to float more and follow undulations in the track. The container chassis being twisted exaggerated the effect so I twisted them flat very gently! If both ends are too tight ease off the second end a quarter turn too. It may make a significant difference.

I found a similar problem on Brawa locos where the clip on the gear tower restricted the bogie from dealing with changes in gradient, even though it swung sideways easily it fell off at and slight bump on a curve ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, the guy who has them is not on the internet, therefore I have passed on your comments. However there is no screw on the bogies to adjust.

I had similar difficulties with Hornby biomass wagons when running a rake of them - they are quite light for such a large wagon

I found a couple of the offending wagons had wheel sets that were not fitted correctly in to the bogies - a simple job to remedy

The running problems completely disappeared after I had fitted Kadee no19 couplings to the wagons

Thanks. As above I have passed on your comments, even a rake of 6 seems problematic can I ask how many you have managed to run successfully as a rake?

• RMweb Premium

I'd say they are just the standard type that Hornby use ie the plug in ones that look like a split pin. The only way to adjust them that I can think of would be to shave a little off the connection lip.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestion, the guy who has them is not on the internet, therefore I have passed on your comments. However there is no screw on the bogies to adjust.

They are clipped in them or is the screw found by taking the body off? If the bogies don't seem to have any side to side rocking motion you can allow it even if clipped in but you have to reduce the bottom of the clips very carefully with a file. I did this on a rake of Austrian coaches from roco but went a bit too far with one so the bogie kept dropping out! Had to add a bit back using microstrip on that one ;) fiddly but possible.

Bit difficult to advise on that without seeing one.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. As above I have passed on your comments, even a rake of 6 seems problematic can I ask how many you have managed to run successfully as a rake?

The rake consists of 14 wagons with the sharpest curves on the layout being Peco 4th radius set track curves

Although other stuff may run OK, have you checked the track for mis-alignment?

I've had odd situations where one particular vehicle would derail, but everything else seemed to run through fine. I eventually checked the track and found a joint out of line. Although the latest issue I've been having with Hornby stock is minute variations in the wheel back-to-back setting, so may be worth checking those.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi guys,

I recieved my drax 'powering tomorrow' livery examply a few weeks back. I then tried this out on one of the clubs layouts which is quite old and it seemed to deal with the corners and the points fairly well. Got a video on the way of it so i will post it in the thread once it is uploaded to YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Another video of the Drax wagons, this time 18 on our Laurencekirk layout.

If we can get G4S to attend our show this summer they will be running on our Almond Bridge Layout.

With the value of that rake coming in at a mere £1494 if my calculations are correct, I think security as well as metal detectors!

NL

• Like 1

With the value of that rake coming in at a mere £1494 if my calculations are correct, I think security as well as metal detectors!

NL

Given the amount of weight the owner has had to put in them to get them to run without derailing, I think you are right metal detectors could be deployed to stop them being pinched!!

I should have said yesterday, having added weight to each wagon they now run much better. Odd thing is, at the price they were, I had assumed they were made of gold and as such there would have been no need for additional weights.

Edited by Waverley47708

I've taken a look at mine today with the view to fitting a flashing tail lamp.

They come apart VERY easily which is a bonus.

Lots of space for the circuit board and battery and no issues on running the wires.

Easy enough to put extra weight in.....

Finally the bogies, yes they are the clip in type and they can be a bit tight.... Some of the spigots may need a delicate trim.

post-1261-0-91427700-1458400117.jpegpost-1261-0-20270400-1458400126.jpegpost-1261-0-32439800-1458400135.jpegpost-1261-0-27152400-1458400143.jpeg

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by rs4
  • Like 1