drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

I've taken a look at mine today with the view to fitting a flashing tail lamp.

They come apart VERY easily which is a bonus.

Lots of space for the circuit board and battery and no issues on running the wires.

Easy enough to put extra weight in.....

Finally the bogies, yes they are the clip in type and they can be a bit tight.... Some of the spigots may need a delicate trim.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cheers,

Nick

I see you already removed the bullion

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the value of that rake coming in at a mere £1494 if my calculations are correct, I think security as well as metal detectors!

NL

This is wheelie good , when can we see this layout complete with Drat it wagons !

Saw a train of these at Edge Hill Liverpool the other day. Very posh and shiny for "coal" train !!!! (yes it's not coal they carry but it's serving the same purpose).

Do they run em through a cleaning plant ?

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Saw a train of these at Edge Hill Liverpool the other day. Very posh and shiny for "coal" train !!!! (yes it's not coal they carry but it's serving the same purpose).

Do they run em through a cleaning plant ?

Brit15

They will have composite brake blocks and as such do not leave a fine mist of rust to coat the wagons, just like many current wagon types!

Mark Saunders

Simon

Thanks. Been undecided for a while. Saved the pennies and they've been brought. Pictures show decals been slightly iffy on one side of each Wagon. I know they're not perfect but I'll see if the 60 transfers I have are good to sort it. Allowed me to chuck the bargain scenecraft bits in as well to save postage.

I know they're expensive but I only need s small rake and at that price much more bearable.

Not the best of pictures, but just one I had time for on the way out this am.  I will update with some better ones over the weekend, when I have done some more work on the Maintenance area.  The sun was not playing ball either as well.  I will need to do what rs4 has done and add some weight to them, I think a single Dapol HIA is the weight of this rake of 5! Even though the wagons are decaled rather than printed, I do really like these wagons and luckily my layout can only accommodate 5/6 wagons!

26373232061_b32cf9ffab_c.jpgIMG_20160415_073807512_HDR by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

• Like 4

Not the best of pictures, but just one I had time for on the way out this am. I will update with some better ones over the weekend, when I have done some more work on the Maintenance area. The sun was not playing ball either as well. I will need to do what rs4 has done and add some weight to them, I think a single Dapol HIA is the weight of this rake of 5! Even though the wagons are decaled rather than printed, I do really like these wagons and luckily my layout can only accommodate 5/6 wagons!

26373232061_b32cf9ffab_c.jpgIMG_20160415_073807512_HDR by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Can your wallet accommodate more than a rake of 5-6 ? :)

Edited by rob D2

• 6 months later...

My Class 60 arrived yesterday - the quality of the DRAX logo and branding is a lot better than that of the wagons. Level, for a start.

Don't you think that the quality of the class 60 has gone downhill though? Lamp hooks are awful and the buffers are angled up!

Don't you think that the quality of the class 60 has gone downhill though? Lamp hooks are awful and the buffers are angled up!

Hornby appear to have changed the lamp hooks on recent releases of the 60 from the finer etched/metal strip type to chunkier plastic mouldings, which I agree seem to be a step backwards as they appear quite chunky and oversize and not to mention FRAGILE - one was half broken off when my Drax 60 arrived, along with the horizontal handrails on the cab front. 

Similar assembly issues too with a model of 60090 that I bought - handrails broken or missing and windscreen wipers for some reason glued-in pointing skyward.  It's the small things like this that spoil what is otherwise a great model.  A chimpanzee wearing a blindfold could have done a better job of assembly.

I can't understand why they would alter a superb model. I have 10 of the previous releases EWS / EW&S, the likes of 60040/60074 (you get the models I mean) and everything is brilliant on them! I'm not overly happy with Drax 60066, as you say it's the small details that make a huge difference! I'm really put off buying any more 60's that Hornby plan to release in the future...

The turning point of quality (I think) was the release of their red DB 60007 'Switch on to safety' loco, but even then, at least the buffers were at the right angle and the lamp hooks were spot on! Why o why Hornby..??..

I think it still looks the part.

https://flic.kr/p/PdqjzK

Oh most definitely Rob, it's still a beautiful model with fantastic detail and performance but it's just a couple of niggly bits. Easily rectified with a little fettling here and there but I just think if the price goes up then so should the quality. But I just believe in "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!" The class 60 was and always has been (in my eyes) the best it can be, even with the copper spring contacts for the lighting. Just annoying little things that have been changed when shouldn't/needn't have been changed/altered. And I'm not moaning about the price of the locos either, I'm more than willing to pay hard earned money for quality models.

P.S. Great pictures you have there Rob and lovely looking layout!

• RMweb Premium

Oh most definitely Rob, it's still a beautiful model with fantastic detail and performance but it's just a couple of niggly bits. Easily rectified with a little fettling here and there but I just think if the price goes up then so should the quality. But I just believe in "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!" The class 60 was and always has been (in my eyes) the best it can be, even with the copper spring contacts for the lighting. Just annoying little things that have been changed when shouldn't/needn't have been changed/altered. And I'm not moaning about the price of the locos either, I'm more than willing to pay hard earned money for quality models.

P.S. Great pictures you have there Rob and lovely looking layout!

Have they reverted back to spring contacts for the lighting?

I thought they'd swapped to a plug socket arrangement from the DBS red 60007.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109950-60007-dbs-dodgy-wiring-from-the-factory-issue/&do=findComment&comment=2263624

Not that this was a neat fix.....

Cheers,

Mick