cheesysmith

drax/Hornby biomass wagons

60066 on the publicity run passing through New Bryford.

post-408-0-06007000-1456104310_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-00712000-1456104313_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Simon Bendall for the loan of a couple of wagons at the D&E show to hang behind my Drax 60. They ran well on the sharp curves and even with the outer hopper section rotating with the coupling bar didn't look too bad. I must admit though, that the Drax decals do stand out a bit and I would bet that weathering (if anyone feels brave enough to do it) would actually highlight the edge of the decal.

One other disappointment was that the small Drax logo on one of the wagons was very obviously not level - on both sides.

At the current price, they're not on my shopping list.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

Off Topic, apologies but thats a nice looking 59 in the background.

The 59 is work in progress.  It's DCC sound and light fitted.  I just need to paint around the buffer beam and attach the buffers and some detailing.  I'm very pleased with it. 

24583707093_e52c19f4ca.jpgDSCF3116 by robfrowen, on Flickr

24579858664_a2a0249e23.jpgDSCF3117 by robfrowen, on Flickr

25210523225_3103f8f89e.jpgDSCF3119 by robfrowen, on Flickr

24842842359_0b0dcd4458.jpgDSCF3122 by robfrowen, on Flickr

24842841279_d226be12bf.jpgDSCF3126 by robfrowen, on Flickr

24842840179_f7388eac80.jpgDSCF3129 by robfrowen, on Flickr

25117290821_7232df8b36.jpgDSCF3130 by robfrowen, on Flickr

Edited by robf
  • Like 9

Wow.... just been on ehattons for something else and seen that the 'drax' version R6723 is on pre-order and there are only 7 in stock of R6724 'powering tomorrow'. Did Hattons get the lot in one batch, in which case they've almost sold out !

Wow.... just been on ehattons for something else and seen that the 'drax' version R6723 is on pre-order and there are only 7 in stock of R6724 'powering tomorrow'. Did Hattons get the lot in one batch, in which case they've almost sold out !

Not sure - but if the 'Swoosh' version is on 'pre-order', presumably (but not necessarily) they're awaiting more stock (of both)? 

Edited by TFR

Not sure - but if the 'Swoosh' version is on 'pre-order', presumably (but not necessarily) they're awaiting more stock (of both)?

Maybe, but Hatton's system seems to show models as on pre-order when they sell out on the basis that they will be ordering more. If you look at their site there are Hornby locos showing as on pre-order that have sold out at Hornby, so they will not be getting any more.

As a limited edition, I assumed the drax wagons would all arrive in one delivery. Perhaps not.

• Like 1

Hi both, yes, you're correct. We're receiving these in batches from Drax, and the second delivery of R6723 and R6724 will be with us shortly.

Cheers,

Dave

One of the guys in our club has got a rake of 18, yes 18.

They look good and run well on the straight section of our 30+ foot layout, but keep coming of on the curves.

post-4700-0-90421300-1457044088_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-21758400-1457044123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 7

One of the guys in our club has got a rake of 18, yes 18.

They look good and run well on the straight section of our 30+ foot layout, but keep coming of on the curves.

He's solved Hornbys financial problems single handedly.

Hi Waverley,

Thanks for the photos.  Are the decals straight on them?  I have only seen a couple (Model Rail had one on their display stand at the SECC last weekend) and it was noticeable that the "Drax" lettering was not level.

cheers

Ben A.

Sorry only took photos of the full rake, rather than individual wagons.

I will try to take some of the individual wagons next Thursday at the club.

In the meantime if anyone has any ideas how to get these wagons to stay on the track when going round curves, please let me know. The gauge of the wheels has been checked, and the curves are fine for all other stock.

The guy in the club who bought them did speak to Hornby at the Glasgow show last week but no real answers were given about their poor running.  He was able to speak to the designer of them who was able to offer advice on how to get into them. This appears to be fairly straightforward.

There is a hollow section on the bogie, between the coupling and the wheels, however putting weight in it appears to result in the inside wheel lifting.

Directly above where the bogie pivots would have seemed an obvious place to put some weight, but this is open from the sides. However it may have to come to putting the weights in there.

Edited by Waverley47708

I'd check the ability of the bogies to move as they are probably either too tight and can only move in one plane or something is stopping them in the pivot design. I found this with the Hornby container flats and all you needed to do was loosen one end by half a turn of the screw to allow that bogie to float more and follow undulations in the track. The container chassis being twisted exaggerated the effect so I twisted them flat very gently! If both ends are too tight ease off the second end a quarter turn too. It may make a significant difference.

I found a similar problem on Brawa locos where the clip on the gear tower restricted the bogie from dealing with changes in gradient, even though it swung sideways easily it fell off at and slight bump on a curve ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

At least the Hornby 0-4-0s which came off at the corners were cheap! :crazy:

I think that had more to do with inertia overcoming centripetal forces at terminal velocity ;) Edited by PaulRhB

I had similar difficulties with Hornby biomass wagons when running a rake of them - they are quite light for such a large wagon

I found a couple of the offending wagons had wheel sets that were not fitted correctly in to the bogies - a simple job to remedy

The running problems completely disappeared after I had fitted Kadee no19 couplings to the wagons

I'd check the ability of the bogies to move as they are probably either too tight and can only move in one plane or something is stopping them in the pivot design. I found this with the Hornby container flats and all you needed to do was loosen one end by half a turn of the screw to allow that bogie to float more and follow undulations in the track. The container chassis being twisted exaggerated the effect so I twisted them flat very gently! If both ends are too tight ease off the second end a quarter turn too. It may make a significant difference.

I found a similar problem on Brawa locos where the clip on the gear tower restricted the bogie from dealing with changes in gradient, even though it swung sideways easily it fell off at and slight bump on a curve ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, the guy who has them is not on the internet, therefore I have passed on your comments. However there is no screw on the bogies to adjust.

I had similar difficulties with Hornby biomass wagons when running a rake of them - they are quite light for such a large wagon

I found a couple of the offending wagons had wheel sets that were not fitted correctly in to the bogies - a simple job to remedy

The running problems completely disappeared after I had fitted Kadee no19 couplings to the wagons

Thanks. As above I have passed on your comments, even a rake of 6 seems problematic can I ask how many you have managed to run successfully as a rake?

I'd say they are just the standard type that Hornby use ie the plug in ones that look like a split pin. The only way to adjust them that I can think of would be to shave a little off the connection lip.

The rake consists of 14 wagons with the sharpest curves on the layout being Peco 4th radius set track curves

Thanks for the suggestion, the guy who has them is not on the internet, therefore I have passed on your comments. However there is no screw on the bogies to adjust.

They are clipped in them or is the screw found by taking the body off? If the bogies don't seem to have any side to side rocking motion you can allow it even if clipped in but you have to reduce the bottom of the clips very carefully with a file. I did this on a rake of Austrian coaches from roco but went a bit too far with one so the bogie kept dropping out! Had to add a bit back using microstrip on that one ;) fiddly but possible.

Bit difficult to advise on that without seeing one.

Thanks. As above I have passed on your comments, even a rake of 6 seems problematic can I ask how many you have managed to run successfully as a rake?

The rake consists of 14 wagons with the sharpest curves on the layout being Peco 4th radius set track curves

Although other stuff may run OK, have you checked the track for mis-alignment?

I've had odd situations where one particular vehicle would derail, but everything else seemed to run through fine. I eventually checked the track and found a joint out of line. Although the latest issue I've been having with Hornby stock is minute variations in the wheel back-to-back setting, so may be worth checking those.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi guys,

I recieved my drax 'powering tomorrow' livery examply a few weeks back. I then tried this out on one of the clubs layouts which is quite old and it seemed to deal with the corners and the points fairly well. Got a video on the way of it so i will post it in the thread once it is uploaded to YouTube.

as promised... here is a video featuring the 'powering tomorrow' livery version. 

enjoy and feel free to post this on other relevant places / topics

https://youtu.be/hqYI-W2flic

Another video of the Drax wagons, this time 18 on our Laurencekirk layout.

If we can get G4S to attend our show this summer they will be running on our Almond Bridge Layout.

Edited by Waverley47708