drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

I've seen one or two reviews of the wagon on YouTube and they look good but not £83 good, and if the reviewer was right there are only two numbers!

I wonder what Hornby will do with the moulds?

not use them again if they're effectively 'owned' by Drax even if they live in the Hornby factory

• RMweb Gold

There could be some sort of grace period that allows them to use the tooling after a certain length of time.

See this post...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107050-draxhornby-biomass-wagons/?p=2165199

Hornby don't own the tooling.

My guess if they don't sell, Drax will have a second round of giving them to customers.

I'd imagine if the paint scheme changes, another run may be forthcoming, probably in similar conditions.

You could of course wait until inflation catches up, Brexit day is in 2019 so not too long to wait :-)

Hattons are no stranger for waiting long term to sell an item out, these curved track were in the range for over 38 years after Binns Rd closed, and were still available in 2016 !.. £2 is a lot for an old piece of 70's steel rail.. even today, but they eventually cleared out :-)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/26992/Hornby_Dublo_2721HD_Curved_terminal_track_2nd_radius/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by adb968008

I dont like spending £83 on a loco, there is no way I am spending that amount on a bloomin wagon no matter how good the detail and decoration.

They do look bloomin good though.

Edit-

Drax could price them at a more realistic level and put the 'loss' on the tax return as advertising or some such, there are many ways of losing things in the accounts.

Edited by royaloak

They could have done, but now that you have told any tax workers that might frequent RMWeb, they will be looking out for it in Drax's returns now! :jester:

You mean somebody is going to take notice of what I say, thats a first.  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

Did I just read a suggestion Drax does a tax write off solely to give a discount to railway modellers ?

Rails of Sheffield has a coach for £125

Kernow has 4 coaches for £290 (£72.50 Ea)

£83 for a wagon is starting to look reasonable.

Did I just read a suggestion Drax does a tax write off solely to give a discount to railway modellers ?

Reasonable ? - Not in my book.

I've just purchased TWO Weaver O gauge covered hopper freight cars. These are big even by O scale standards - 15" long, 4" high, like new and just kadee couplers to add and off they roll. Cost for the pair - £45 incl free postage (ebay). OK they're not new - but they are average price for these on ebay.

post-6884-0-01773200-1504860321_thumb.jpg

And folk think O gauge is expensive !!

Brit15

• Like 1

Along with all the people who received a free one as a marketing/advertising endeavour.

£83 is not reasonable for a 'simple' wagon, okay its a really nice wagon but its still a wagon.

Edited by royaloak

Here we go again, if you really want one , and have £83 go buy one......if it's too much for you or don't want one, please spend your money in something else.

I'd send em back to drax, they can fill em with wood chips and lob them in the furnaces

• RMweb Premium

Here we go again, if you really want one , and have £83 go buy one......if it's too much for you or don't want one, please spend your money in something else.

I'd send em back to drax, they can fill em with wood chips and lob them in the furnaces

Burning plastic isn't very eco-friendly...................

• Like 2

Just saw this on Kernow's website in their Limited Edition section in case anyone's interested, funny how they have lumped Hornby's Class 60 Drax with Bachmann's MSC shed.

Technically the Drax comes out as £90 if you account the full price for the Class 66, pretty good deal.

post-30580-0-40649300-1505390647_thumb.jpg

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Press release today from GBRf. New wagons on the way that will hold 1/3 more.

26th October 2017
New hoppers will allow GB Railfreight to carry one-third more biomass.

Following the signing of the rail haulage contract Lynemouth Power Limited, GB Railfreight (GBRf) has announced that it will be leasing 50 newly built, lidded biomass wagons from Nacco. These wagons will provide a more efficient service, with a payload of 70 tonnes instead of the current lidded hopper wagon’s capacity of 53 tonnes.

The new wagons will run in two sets of 24 wagons, delivering 1,680 tonnes of biomass per train, are auto-loading and discharging, and will be delivered at the end of November 2017 and in January 2018. GBRf previously demonstrated its reliability along this route whilst running coal services to Lynemouth when it was owned by RWEST. The last coal train into the station was April 2015.

John Smith, Managing Director of GBRf, said:

"We are delighted to be able to make this investment following the start of our partnership with Lynemouth earlier this year. It demonstrates GBRf’s commitment to providing the best levels of customer service and the company’s desire to ensure the most efficient fleet of rolling stock is available.

This investment will also enable GBRf to carry more biomass to Lynemouth, reducing its carbon footprint and the emissions of the whole of the UK as well. This partnership is just one way in which GBRf, and the whole rail freight sector, is contributing to the UK hitting its climate change commitments.”

ENDS

post-22167-0-80958600-1509038942_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-04235500-1509038959_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-07998900-1509038978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...