drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

• RMweb Premium

Why not? Other niche wagons have. The FNA flask wagons spring to mind.

Paul

The FNAs are quite a different matter - you only need one to make a sensible train length. You need quite a few of the Drax hoppers. I'm saving my money for some Dapol HIA's at £18.......

Cheers,

Mick

I personally rather welcome this. These wagons are very niche and thus would of never appeared in a manufacturers catalogue. I wonder shall other railway operators be watching this with an eye to commission corporate gifts, with a minimum order needed for Hornby or Dapol or Bachmann to cover costs of production.

I think knowing these are only ever to be made, makes them exclusive and I shall wait until Drax confirm they shall not sell the tooling to a manufacturer before I buy.

A cool £664 for eight better mean they shall never be made again!

Words fail me !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The FNAs are quite a different matter - you only need one to make a sensible train length. You need quite a few of the Drax hoppers. I'm saving my money for some Dapol HIA's at £18.......

Cheers,

Mick

True Mick but it was the niche side of things I was getting at.

I too will be looking at Some HIA wagons!

Paul

I'm still waiting for an RHTT set, or a Railvac, the perfect one vehicle train (apart from a BR/GWR Autotrain..) and would therefore be willing to pay a few quid for either as wouldn't need to buy a "rake" of 8 or more for a realistic train.

Will be interesting to see how these Drax wagons sell - whilst I do not need or want one, I'm impressed with the idea and someone like Drax getting behind it. It might lead to a new way for modern image stock to be funded/brought to market. Are you listening Network Rail?

Edited by norfolkchinaclay

At £83 per piece I'm out... Never expected it to cross £50!

PS: Anyone has scale drawings for the said model? I'd rather try doing my own and use decals from Precision who already do a set for the Class 60.

Rail Express had some scale drawings (By Gareth Bayer I think) when these wagons were first unveiled. Sorry don't know the issue number.

Aside from any promotional models that Drax will issue to corporate contacts etc the wagon will only be available via retail through Hatton's (Drax haven't the resources for the distribution) who have just announced the product codes and pricing on their website.

R6723_3204938_Qty1_cat.jpg

Hornby R6723 Drax 102t biomass hopper in Drax 'Swoosh' livery - Produced for Drax power station - Limited to 1000 - Available only from Hatton's - £83.00

http://www.ehattons.com/172341/Hornby_R6723_Drax_102t_biomass_hopper_in_Drax_Swoosh_livery_Produced_for_Drax_power_station_/StockDetail.aspx

Hornby R6724 Drax 102t biomass hopper in Drax 'powering tomorrow' livery - Produced for Drax power station - Limited to 1000 - Available only from Hatton's - £83.00

http://www.ehattons.com/172342/Hornby_R6724_Drax_102t_biomass_hopper_in_Drax_powering_tomorrow_livery_Produced_for_Drax_pow/StockDetail.aspx

The comparatively high price is due to the limited run commissioned by Drax with the associated cost, no-one's making any huge margin on it and it is very definitely a one-off opportunity as the tooling is not owned by Hornby and isn't likely to be used other than this publicity run.

Hatton's will be receiving deliveries in the next week or so.

If this is a promotional model for Drax why is it available to buy from a retailer? Also, if it is due within the next week I would have expected a picture of the finished hopper.

• RMweb Premium

That the wagon is expensive is disappointing for sure. Given these work in long block trains anybody wanting to replicate a train on a layout needs a reasonable number, I'm guessing the minimum that wouldn't look silly is 5 (?) and really you'd want 7 or 8 to try and capture the look of the real trains. Many (probably most) home layouts would need a seriously truncated train if for no other reason than that they wouldn't be able to fit anything like a full size train on their layout but that is true for many other freight trains and passenger trains and most of us can live with the compromise of shortened trains I think. However even 5 of these would be quite a hefty investment.

On the other hand it is a model paid for by Drax and it is their call how they sell it. If they are looking at buying 2000 models and ownership of the tooling and then everything stops then the price is probably not excessive from their perspective. Especially given that they appear to have told Hornby to give it their best shot and not spare the detail. So disappointing but c'est la vie.

Our best hope is that they will be open to requests from others (Hornby?) to use the tooling later. Whatever Drax may say about this, things change in business and if somebody later on clicks that they have quite a valuable asset in this tooling that can be exploited then who knows, we may see more use of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A rake will go nicely with the Drax liveried 60 066 due this year.

Such a shame not to use the tooling after this run. But then the tooling could made from materials that after a thousand units its worn out?

Its possible they might not be using tooling, but instead use 3d printing, which certainly pushes up the cost.

£83 for a single wagon  :O

Is this hobby going to be affordable in the future . . . .?  :dontknow:

Even in future if Bachmann produce a N gauge version as part of the Farish range, I bet £40 a wagon will not be far off the mark, based on MRPs for Autoballaster and Polybulk wagons.

Edited by richierich

Problem is:

Drax will need a cut / profit.

Hornby need a cut / profit.

Hattons will have a handling fee.

All that doesn't translate into £40 a wagon.

I'm assuming "anyone" could do the wagons in the unliveried version before they got their vinyls ?

Problem is:

Drax will need a cut / profit.

Hornby need a cut / profit.

Hattons will have a handling fee.

All that doesn't translate into £40 a wagon.

I'm assuming "anyone" could do the wagons in the unliveried version before they got their vinyls ?

Also, maybe a licence fee to the designer/manufacturer of the wagon (which would mean it couldn't be done unliveried either). Also, the cost of the free ones to corporate clients has to be recouped somewhere - probably from the ones that are being sold. (CJL)

I'm assuming drax is aware of the retail cost of comparative wagons,

Personally I dont think they care if they sell any or not to modellers, this is just a way they might shift a few.

The only way I can see this working is with my favourite half station or half yard with just one or two on scene to suggest the presence of a longer train

• RMweb Premium

A rake will go nicely with the Drax liveried 60 066 due this year.

Such a shame not to use the tooling after this run. But then the tooling could made from materials that after a thousand units its worn out?

Its possible they might not be using tooling, but instead use 3d printing, which certainly pushes up the cost.

£83 for a single wagon  :O

Is this hobby going to be affordable in the future . . . .?  :dontknow:

Even in future if Bachmann produce a N gauge version as part of the Farish range, I bet £40 a wagon will not be far off the mark, based on MRPs for Autoballaster and Polybulk wagons.

60's don't often work the biomass hoppers as the wagons are rated at 75mph against the 60mph of a 60.

60066 did do a couple of early publicity runs - at least this doesn't require the 25 wagons of a full rake................ (But there's still the small matter of over £1000 in the loco plus train combo)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

60's don't often work the biomass hoppers as the wagons are rated at 75mph against the 60mph of a 60.

60066 did do a couple of early publicity runs - at least this doesn't require the 25 wagons of a full rake................ (But there's still the small matter of over £1000 in the loco plus train combo)

Cheers,

Mick

Yeah £913 for the 11 wagon publicity train is much more manageable lol