drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

• RMweb Premium

Personally I dont think they care if they sell any or not to modellers, this is just a way they might shift a few.

I think this hits the nail on the head, Drax will have their own reasons as to why they've made these and whatever we might think is probably of limited (or zero) interest to them.

Funnily enough the best hope modellers have will be for one of the bean counters who we usually hate, the sort who knows the cost of every and value of nothing, to ask the question "you're spent £xxxx ont his tooling, you could use this to generate £xxxxx in revenue, why aren't you doing it?!!!!". We can but hope.

I suspect that Drax only need X amount, Hornby will only make a minimum of Y amount so the result of Y-X are being sold by Hattons to get rid of the surplus. 

Hopefully the contract with Drax will allow Hornby to produce further versions but there might be a delay and confidentiality clause attached to any agreement.  The other difficulty is that since Drax are the only company (I think) using this wagon, they might not allow Hornby to licence the livery.  This would leave Hornby with the option of fake or blank livery versions of the wagon.

I suspect that it will be some time before we get the full story.

Roddy

£83 per wagon! Welcome to 2016...

Let's just hope this isn't the start of what will become the rrp of future wagons. I'm a one for detail and willing to pay strong money for detail but this price is quite a shock to the system. As mentioned before over 1k for 60066 and the 11 wagons used on publicity runs, best get some serious overtime in and get saving!!

Cheers,

Shoey.

Just a thought here. I know that £83 per wagon is somewhat new heights. But as this is a new venture by Drax/Hornby. If there is enough demand and the first 100 run is completely exhausted. Maybe they might consider another production run with alternative numbers on them to avoid duplicating the original wagons at a larger production run with a lower price. I am just happy with getting two of each version for £332 to match my 60066 that I will be getting from R3Sprays at the end of the month :). As for those that will no doubt crop up on eBay, I remember the days when the old Lima GM 201 class locomotives were going in excess of £500 in 2007/8. So new price records might be world record breakers :jester: .

60's don't often work the biomass hoppers as the wagons are rated at 75mph against the 60mph of a 60.

60066 did do a couple of early publicity runs - at least this doesn't require the 25 wagons of a full rake................ (But there's still the small matter of over £1000 in the loco plus train combo)

Cheers,

Mick

They also dont use class 60s because of slow speed control, a 60 cant do the required speed to load/unload.

Just a thought here. I know that £83 per wagon is somewhat new heights. But as this is a new venture by Drax/Hornby. If there is enough demand and the first 100 run is completely exhausted. Maybe they might consider another production run with alternative numbers on them to avoid duplicating the original wagons at a larger production run with a lower price. I am just happy with getting two of each version for £332 to match my 60066 that I will be getting from R3Sprays at the end of the month :). As for those that will no doubt crop up on eBay, I remember the days when the old Lima GM 201 class locomotives were going in excess of £500 in 2007/8. So new price records might be world record breakers :jester: .

I doubt that there'll be any more.

Can you imagine the outcry if, after having paid £83.00 for what is promoted as being a once-and-for-all limited edition of 1000, further runs were announced at a significantly lower price?

I think that most MODELLERS will, reluctantly, write this off as a lost opportunity; the COLLECTORS, though, will have a field day !!

We've already had the views of several of the latter in this thread.

JMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

I doubt that there'll be any more.

Can you imagine the outcry if, after having paid £83.00 for what is promoted as being a once-and-for-all limited edition of 1000, further runs were announced at a significantly lower price?

I think that most MODELLERS will, reluctantly, write this off as a lost opportunity; the COLLECTORS, though, will have a field day !!

We've already had the views of several of the latter in this thread already.

JMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hello John,

I have to agree with you on this. But the reason I suggested different running numbers is because although it would be the same tooling. The alternative numbers would keep the value more on the original run and knowing the extreme purists, they would probably want every variant to make an accurate train. But for me and most others here. I am happy to just have the four behind my 60 as my layout would look cramped with anymore than that to be honest mate.

Kind Regards

Ash.

I just hope that these wagons are purchased by keen modellers rather than 'joe bloggs' buying in numbers then just waiting for them to sell out then list them on auction sites for ridiculous money!! .......

I know this is something we can't prevent, just something that irritates me. That's just my personal opinion and apologies in advance if anyone is offended by this. No harm meant.

Edited by Shoey

Maybe drax should have chosen a Class 66 in their branding to match the wagons if this is the case :).

I think a 66 would look lovely in this livery! Anyone a wizard with Photoshopping that could maybe post a picture or two?

• RMweb Premium

They also dont use class 60s because of slow speed control, a 60 cant do the required speed to load/unload.

Going OT.

60's have slow speed control fitted - they've worked merry-go-round trains before. Unless it's even slower......?

I thought a bigger problem is that they haven't the capacity within the air compressor to power the door systems?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Maybe drax should have chosen a Class 66 in their branding to match the wagons if this is the case :).

Easy to apply when compared to the ribs of a 66.

A 60 is a nice big flat slab side.

post-408-0-27905900-1453069691_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

Going OT.

60's have slow speed control fitted - they've worked merry-go-round trains before. Unless it's even slower......?

I thought a bigger problem is that they haven't the capacity within the air compressor to power the door systems?

Cheers,

Mick

The main reason we don't see 60's on these workings is because GBRf don't have any  :D

I think all the Drax Biomass is worked by GBRf isn't it ?.

Going OT.

Cheers,

Mick

It is slower. 0.5mph to load. 0.3mph to unload.

• RMweb Gold

It is slower. 0.5mph to load. 0.3mph to unload.

aka soul destroying speeds!

i once had to unload a coal train in ratcliffe at 0.25 mph and that was like pulling teeth so with 25 of these long wagons i'd be swinging from a rope in the cab

There's the tension lock coupling? What radius curves will it negotiate? Is this intended as a display case model rather than something to run on a layout.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

a quick glance at the article in Hornby mag in sainsburys the other day suggests that the outer hopper doors are moulded onto the coupling bar so when it goes round curves they swing out, it is a heck of an overhang though so tight curves will be fun, just dont try and run a train of them on an adjacent curve to a rapido apt!

Edited by big jim

Easy to apply when compared to the ribs of a 66.

A 60 is a nice big flat slab side.

attachicon.gifDSCF7463c.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

What a beauty there mate!

I think a 66 would look lovely in this livery! Anyone a wizard with Photoshopping that could maybe post a picture or two?

Totally agree mate, although my skills with paintnet is not that good unfortunately :(, so I will have to leave it to someone else that is a professional with photoshopping :).

i once had to unload a coal train in ratcliffe at 0.25 mph and that was like pulling teeth so with 25 of these long wagons i'd be swinging from a rope in the cab

And have you also had a 3D scan for that printed figure too

fupzxzi12rhbaggx8pqx.jpg

ONE DAY SOON I WILL CONTROL THE WORLD AND ALL IT'S WEALTH

I WILL START WITH BRITISH MODERN IMAGE RAILWAY MODELLERS !!!!!

Brit15

"Take care of Mr. Average Modeller's wallet. Make sure some harm comes to it."

C6T.