drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

Is anyone else thinking, "Drax, Hornby, biomass wagons, £83; VTG, Revolution Trains, TEAs, £39?" Then, "Drax, Revolution Trains, biomass wagons, £39?" Then, "Blast, Drax unlikely to co-operate?"

Also the Dapol HIA Freightliner heavy haul hoppers in 'oo' gauge, expected within a couple of months, and priced by the same retailer at £18 or £21.50, depending on which one you go for, mind you that price seems exceptionally good value and not sure it's sustainable.

Good point, although I have had the original four HIAs on order for quite a while and I seriously doubt that I shall get away with paying £18 or even £21·50. If they're half-decent, I'll get the other two as well, provided that the extra £3·50 isn't for weathering. I think that, by and large, Dapol do a good job on modern wagons and exploit my weakness for them very effectively.

Companies regularly commission models which would be hugely attractive to collectors and modellers which are never made available to the public. As BlackRat says there is a budget for this stuff and companies are generally not interested in retail sales. When I worked for Maersk they had some lovely models which were only ever distributed via corporate channels, they also did promote themselves by making models and toys with companies like Lego which were made available to the public but many of them were strictly private for Maersk's own use. Airlines do the same, often they sell models of their aircraft via inflight sales and they are happy to license their image for general retail sales but they also commission quite a lot of models (particularly larger scale models from companies like PacMin and Atlantic) which are very rarely made available for collectors to buy unless they appear as second hand models later.The ultimate examples (at least for me) are builders models of ships, most of them would be prohibitively expensive for all but the super rich to ever contemplate buying but shipping companies still consider frighteningly expensive models of their fleets to be worthwhile.

Of course, remember that Virgin commissioned Dapol to make Pendolino trains, specifically to give to staff, although a limited amount were sold via Dapol...

• RMweb Premium

Good point, although I have had the original four HIAs on order for quite a while and I seriously doubt that I shall get away with paying £18 or even £21·50. If they're half-decent, I'll get the other two as well, provided that the extra £3·50 isn't for weathering. I think that, by and large, Dapol do a good job on modern wagons and exploit my weakness for them very effectively.

Based on seeing the pre-production model at Warley, I've upped my order for a full trainload as they're perfect for the new club layout. The self-same retailer is still showing them at £18 (and £21.50) and due in the next month. I'm sure if any price rise was on it's way, it would've been published by now. [1] Remember that this retailer was originally pre-selling 73's at £105 (and honouring that deal) until the point at which they arrived in these shores and then upped it to just under £120.

[1] That's why I'm buying them now, as I'm sure the price will rise ( I'm lucky that I do have a few £'s set aside for "short-notice" purchases and can only hope that nothing else comes along until I can replenish the emergency cash.....)

Of course, remember that Virgin commissioned Dapol to make Pendolino trains, specifically to give to staff, although a limited amount were sold via Dapol...

And how bad were those as a model?

There is a very derogatory nickname............

Edited by newbryford

I am tempted by these and would be looking to have a small rake of 8-11 wagons to compliment the Drax 60 I have on pre-order but am unable to buy this amount at the price of each wagon. My concern is that I'll buy 3 or 4 and then Hattons will have sold out by the time I have money to buy some more wagons... Certainly won't be buying if any come up on eBay at higher prices! Trouble is, I can't see Hornby ever producing anymore of these wagons in the future. Anyone know the exact amount being produced yet? Whether it's just 500 or 1000? And whether this amount is each of the two liveries or combined/total?

Cheers,

Shoey

Just come across this picture on Google images. Wonder if Hornby keep the tooling for these wagons and perhaps produce these 'plain' grey livery ones..??..

***(Not sure who the picture belongs to but if it's against any rules or regulations, please remove. Apologies in advance)***

post-27853-0-83138200-1453499501_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the comparison with kit building is more than a little disingenuous!

The wagons are not *that* complicated to tool and produce, so I wonder if purchasers are subsidising the corporate gifts (we will never know). I can't honestly believe that Drax would have agreed to pay £83 each for corporate gift models - if they did then they should have done a better job of a competitive tender!

Cheers, Mike

I think you'll find it's cheap for corporate models. Just over twenty years ago I produced a loco in O for EMD and that cost them well over £1000 with a commission for more if export sales in more liveries took off, you would double that now. Considering today you'd usually have these made as etch, and then to hand build the wagons would probably cost £2-300 each so producing a batch of 2000 at £83 each is pretty much what I'd expect. This is why non limited wagons of similar size are now pushing £60 as they recover the rest over time. Paying what modellers consider obscene prices is considered standard in big business.

If no one buys them then no doubt they will have to discount and the first to see it will get bargains ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Being serious for a second I still have plenty of oo stuff but slowly making the change to 7mm it is expensive but the prices have not seen the massive recent increase in oo, my oo purchases have slowed a lot now. 7mm do provide parts to scratch build, bogies buffers etc and with plasticard it is relatively easy to build models quite cheaply. Good luck to those who want a rake of these hoppers. Living close to drax I know how they are awash with cash and wouldn't be surprised if they give these models out for to employees free of charge.

• RMweb Gold

Think that's the way forward ruggedpeak.

Or on the other hand, could buy one and have a 66 hauling it off to a TMD for repair..??..

That was my thinking, haven't seen any photos of them in that state yet but I guess a few more years as they get a bit older and it will happen

That was my thinking, haven't seen any photos of them in that state yet but I guess a few more years as they get a bit older and it will happen

That is because the are on lease to Drax and repairs are mainly in the Down sidings at Milord by W H Davis where it is not unknown to see a pair left on their own!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

In case you missed the MREMag feature, there is a video about them and also one of a 66 pulling them

https://youtu.be/Be7PWgxzZQw

According to the video Drax own all the IP to the new wagon, hence they call the shots.

https://youtu.be/hD-2woDi-j8

Edited by ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

Companies regularly commission models which would be hugely attractive to collectors and modellers which are never made available to the public. As BlackRat says there is a budget for this stuff and companies are generally not interested in retail sales. When I worked for Maersk they had some lovely models which were only ever distributed via corporate channels, they also did promote themselves by making models and toys with companies like Lego which were made available to the public but many of them were strictly private for Maersk's own use. Airlines do the same, often they sell models of their aircraft via inflight sales and they are happy to license their image for general retail sales but they also commission quite a lot of models (particularly larger scale models from companies like PacMin and Atlantic) which are very rarely made available for collectors to buy unless they appear as second hand models later.The ultimate examples (at least for me) are builders models of ships, most of them would be prohibitively expensive for all but the super rich to ever contemplate buying but shipping companies still consider frighteningly expensive models of their fleets to be worthwhile.

Couldn't resist. And Lego did Maersk trains too.

Lego+Maersk+Line+Container.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I had an e-mail from a company in China this morning asking if I needed some promotional models of ships (no, I'm not joking, it's amazing the e-mail distribution lists you end up on), their e-mail included the following link:

http://www.focod.com/model_pics/show_1.htm

I'm guessing you could buy a pretty good car for the prices of these models yet this is standard stuff in the marine sector and most offices of shipping companies and the likes of class societies, consultancies etc are adorned with such models.

On the Lego Maersk Triple E, I was sorely tempted to buy one until I saw the price!

• Like 1

Just come across this picture on Google images. Wonder if Hornby keep the tooling for these wagons and perhaps produce these 'plain' grey livery ones..??..

***(Not sure who the picture belongs to but if it's against any rules or regulations, please remove. Apologies in advance)***

Did they request an unmarked grey 66 to pull the unmarked grey wagons? Wonder if it triggered the track circuits....

Edited by Talltim

Did they request an unmarked grey 66 to pull the unmarked grey wagons? Wonder if it triggered the track circuits....

Good job it wasn't foggy or there would have been reports of ghost trains being heard through Yorkshire....