The restoration man

lastluddite

an unusual detail, the star of david in the canopy ironwork

I was wondering about that too. Does anyone know the origin?

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, hats off to the guy for all his hard work and dedication. The most amazing thing for me was how much of the station was still around in 2013! It looked like a scene from the 70s...

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering about that too. Does anyone know the origin?

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, hats off to the guy for all his hard work and dedication. The most amazing thing for me was how much of the station was still around in 2013! It looked like a scene from the 70s...

I thought that, amazing condition for a station closed so long ,even the goods shed was original inside.

If I owned it wouldn't be able to resist some track and a loco or two!

an unusual detail, the star of david in the canopy ironwork

Judging by recent comments in Dave Ford's photo thread, this would seem to be a common NER ironwork symbol as someone commented on it appearing in one of Dave's photos. I don't think anyone had an explanation other than that it was a common Victorian habit to appropriate religious symbols in ironwork and decorations - the swastika [mandala] was also used in this way until the Nazis tainted the meaning. IIRC one of the council halls in somewhere like Chelmsford was criticised because it has the symbols built into the Victorian brickwork

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know which preserved steam railway George was travelling first class on?  Some of the countryside looked very attractive so could perhaps be worth a visit.

North Yorkshire moors I think

• RMweb Premium

Judging by recent comments in Dave Ford's photo thread, this would seem to be a common NER ironwork symbol as someone commented on it appearing in one of Dave's photos. I don't think anyone had an explanation other than that it was a common Victorian habit to appropriate religious symbols in ironwork and decorations - the swastika [mandala] was also used in this way until the Nazis tainted the meaning. IIRC one of the council halls in somewhere like Chelmsford was criticised because it has the symbols built into the Victorian brickwork

Yes, me!

I had never noticed it before, and now it keeps popping up everywhere north-eastern.

Archived