The London Festival of Railway Modelling ? 19-20 March 2016

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I've heard of horses in freight yards - but toy hedgehogs?

Obviously, I could just be seeing things - and the last photo might be a sign that I need to visit an optometrist.

Come to think of it, that spoof Snellen chart in the April 2016 BRM might convey a similar message - who knows?

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Peak Quarry was a great layout, some very nice rolling stock and it certainly was working well today.

Sadly whenever I went round to see it today (over several hours) the layout control had collapsed in a heap, just like it was doing at Manchester show. Nothing ever made a run lap without it shorting out.

I would have hoped that Stafford Would have worked out that their wiring & power supply was all wrong and have separated each line & segment to prevent loss of the entire layout. The audible groan this afternoon was telling as the audience evaporated on the third full short in under 2 minutes.

It's a real shame bcause the overall layout is excellent and should be a really entertaining watch so let's hope they retire and fix the issues.

My favourites were Hartburn, Peak Quarry and Grathwaite with Ackthorpe and the Swiss winter scene proving excellent viewing too. A very enjoyable day out.

I do feel I need to reply to your comment.

Mid Saturday afternoon from about 15:00 a electrical fault kept closing down all the power to the layouts.

Later in the afternoon the fault seemed to have disappeared

We came in early on the Sunday morning to investigate but as you guessed the fault would not appear.

At around lunchtime on Sunday the fault appeared again

We believe the fault is either a overheating power supply or just track expansion due to the heat generated in the hall.

Prior to the exhibtion the layout was thoughly tested over a period of three weeks in the Clubrooms with no problems.

The fault will be fuly investigated and corrected

Yes you are correct our staffing level was not as wished as we lost two operators due to domestic issues just prior to the exhibition and one on the Saturday evening.

Your comments re problems at Manchester are a mystery to me as Whiteacres ran all weekend with only a couple of minor issues which did not cause any running problems

At Manchester the layout won best in show as voted for by the paying general public!

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking all the Model Railway team, BRM staff and all the AP staff, and not forgetting the Hotel staff who all were a credit there organisations.

Having got home at 22:30 on Sunday just in time for MOTD and fell asleep

Terry

On behalf of Stafford Railway Circle

... unless you think of it as "4mm scale - but not OO9, EM, P4, or any other gauge".

Huw.

So why not say 4mm scale, 21mm gauge (or as appropriate). Otherwise it seems rather dismissive of the extra effort put into building a model be more representative of the prototype.

I describe my own layout as 4mm scale, as quite a few modellers I meet haven't heard of P4. Actually, they don't often know what 4mm scale is, but a small glimmer of enlightenment can usually be seen if you say the special code words OO, Hornby or Bachmann.

On behalf of the Eskmuir crew, I'd like to say a big thank you to Nick and the MRC for their hospitality, it's been a fun show, plenty of good comment & questions on the layout and plenty of laughs too. Plenty to see and buy during the weekend too. The nightlife was also a highlight, one of our members was making random dashes around on the tube network on the way to Blackfriars and some medicinal holy water :-)

Went on Sunday for first time this year, although a lengthy drive from Manchester [ due to lousy train  timetables],traffic quite light on both directions, [ luckily traffic updates on the M6 problems were good so I avoided any hold ups ] I enjoyed the exhibition, certainly easier to view the layouts than on previous Saturday visits. I did not notice any layouts having any problems, Visited the Locomotion stand where the Apt E  Boxed model was on show {being sent out this week] ,it included a couple of Model Booklets. although one had been stolen by some undesirable on the Saturday., they also had £40 discounts on a couple of KIngs ,plus a Stirling on view.

I was there with Marske - we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, plenty of traders who we rarely or never see north of the Trent, some really good layouts. I do like those Irish models and Hungerford was also very good. Tucking Mill had to be seen to be believed, though. Superb.

Second time we've been and we're always really well looked after. Hotel seemed very comfortable this year, I even slept through the drag racing in the car park on Saturday night. I'm told the lunchtime beef pasty on Saturday left a bit to be desired, but other than that, no complaints from us at all.

• RMweb Premium
The highlight of my day was a visit to the trade stand of a lady who I met at Warley and who sends me parcels from time to time in exchange for Paypal deposits. I thanked her for the two wagon kits she sent a week or so ago and she replied,

"Richard, when they came in I thought of you straight away ... I couldn't really think of anyone else who would want them, so I dropped you a line"

Made my day.

- Richard.

I was there with Marske - we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, plenty of traders who we rarely or never see north of the Trent, some really good layouts. I do like those Irish models and Hungerford was also very good. Tucking Mill had to be seen to be believed, though. Superb.Second time we've been and we're always really well looked after. Hotel seemed very comfortable this year, I even slept through the drag racing in the car park on Saturday night. I'm told the lunchtime beef pasty on Saturday left a bit to be desired, but other than that, no complaints from us at all.

My son and I enjoyed Marske - probably helped we saw it early on when his concentration was at its best! The attention to detail is great, I liked the cameo to see inside the goods shed, the coal staithes and the overturned wagon at the far end

Also many thanks to the member of the team who described the history of the petro electric car to me when we returned later. I didn't get chance to thank properly as by that point my son was getting a bit tired and wanted to move on. Based on the info given, I've now been able to google it and find out more about something I hadnt previously heard of.

David

• RMweb Gold

My son and I enjoyed Marske - probably helped we saw it early on when his concentration was at its best! The attention to detail is great, I liked the cameo to see inside the goods shed, the coal staithes and the overturned wagon at the far end

Also many thanks to the member of the team who described the history of the petro electric car to me when we returned later. I didn't get chance to thank properly as by that point my son was getting a bit tired and wanted to move on. Based on the info given, I've now been able to google it and find out more about something I hadnt previously heard of.

David

It is of course well covered on RMweb - albeit mainly about the restoration project

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89393-ner-1903-autocar/page-1

Thanks - and I'm not surprised! My somewhat surprised comment was along the lines of "what on earth is that?" Not least as the livery is pretty unfamiliar as well

Be interesting to see when it's running whether it spurs interest like the rail motor at didcot has done

Edit : thanks Stationmaster. I'd missed that thread.

• RMweb Premium

Besides best layouts in show awards, I think they should introduce a "worst layout in show" prize, this will drive up standards in no time!

Not so sure this would be a very fair or nice thing to do, since not all can be as gifted as others.  Would it drive up standards?  Or would it more likely reduce the pool of layouts available on the exhibition circuit,  with builders/owners having become demotivated?

Brian

And of course it all depends on your definition of worst.........

A beautiful model that doesn't run properly? Repeated operator error?

I can recall one recent do, where I was assisting with a layout that had been in the MRJ and due to an electrical issue.....we couldn't run it at all!

It's still a lovely model tho, and it's back home and all working again.

• Administrators

Not so sure this would be a very fair or nice thing to do, since not all can be as gifted as others.  Would it drive up standards?  Or would it more likely reduce the pool of layouts available on the exhibition circuit,  with builders/owners having become demotivated?

Brian

Both "best" and "worst" layouts are subjective. However, I would never even visit any show with a "worst" award, never mind take a layout there.

If you don't like a model, move on, someone else will and they don't need you cluttering up the space in front of it.

• RMweb Gold

We attended on Saturday and it was a good day out. Younger child really likes N gauge and smaller, and spent a lot of time taking pictures of cameos and the N layouts.

He has a school project on rivers and has to make a model, so a chat on the Bachmann stand revealed that their various starter packs were only £5 each! £25 later and we have a mountain (sic) of rock, grass and river and waterfall materials :)  According to the receipt we saved £239 on the full prices :boast: , although I'm not sure the stated £40 RRP for a starter pack was correct! But a great result as I've not used this stuff before, and something to practice on. Plus Langley supplied the necessary hippos and crocodiles! Liked seeing the small firms doing buildings like 4 Track and Severn Models. Bought some small kits to play with.

Layouts were great, nice variety of new and seen before. Really liked Lambourn for the level of detail at a small scale.

The only problem was a turbo hose blowing off on the way home, so it was a bit longer and smokier than it should have been to get home! All fixed the next day.

Peak Quarry was a great layout, some very nice rolling stock and it certainly was working well today.

Sadly whenever I went round to see it today (over several hours) the layout control had collapsed in a heap, just like it was doing at Manchester show. Nothing ever made a run lap without it shorting out.

I would have hoped that Stafford Would have worked out that their wiring & power supply was all wrong and have separated each line & segment to prevent loss of the entire layout. The audible groan this afternoon was telling as the audience evaporated on the third full short in under 2 minutes.

It's a real shame bcause the overall layout is excellent and should be a really entertaining watch so let's hope they retire and fix the issues.

My favourites were Hartburn, Peak Quarry and Grathwaite with Ackthorpe and the Swiss winter scene proving excellent viewing too. A very enjoyable day out.

So next year your perfectly running layout will be there ?

I must admit feeling slightly peeved that they managed to describe Valencia as 00 as one of the reasons for building was to demonstrate that doing it to the proper gauge is'nt that difficult.I wonder how they would mangle my broad gauge layout? Andy.

Well I liked it, OO or not.

I can't believe that was anything to do with Nick Freezer either as I was chatting to him at the end of the afternoon and he said someone had asked about P4, to which his reply had been that he had a 4mm layout built to exact gauge - you.

I'm sure the point can be argued, but I see where he's coming from.

I think they should introduce a "worst layout in show" prize, this will drive up standards in no time! My unofficial candidate for worst layout goes to S***********n, which also wins a bonus prize of daftest name for a layout. 

Brian

And even worse you can open up shows and the possibly the entire hobby to those at the snobbish end of the world that no layout can attend a show unless it meets their exacting standards...ultrafine scale 7mm and all rolling stock from manufacturers that cost hundreds or thousands of pounds. Even the finescale shows need to attract all levels.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like I missed a good show. Never mind..

I understand that next year the layout theme being considered is '60 years of Minories'.  

Chris

So London red bus and green line coach themed? I thought it was a railway show...

Archived