Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

At long last working on finishing the V2. I have added brakes, one side, the  slide bars  crosshead and connecting rod.. all clearing the front coupling rod and crankpin nut...other side to do. I think I mentioned earlier that V2 s sadly did not frequent Water Orton, nor did other Eastern big stuff. There were incidents though when they were seen...photo of A3 taken by West Box signal man VIc Smith of the working. In addition have seen photograph of a V2 on the up lines through Castle Bromwich. The loco was returning from working on the Southern region, and was on front of a steel bolster train en route to the North East

• Like 1

just added these to another thread thought I might as well include here....class 103 again and my scratch...kit butcher of the stanier class 3 post-23587-0-48650400-1539862960_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-29781000-1539862998_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-62514100-1539863016_thumb.jpegtrid to remove duplication and add the 260 for good measure

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

post-23587-0-07943100-1540231842_thumb.jpegmy gift from John ( rowanj)... I was going to say completed but he has persuaded me to add the cylinder steam pipes and glaze the cab. She pulls just like the real thing with big mashima high level gearbox and lots of lead weight
  • Like 2

post-23587-0-15103500-1540656705_thumb.jpegthe photo is of my latest amendment to my trackwork, a single slip , this allows access from the down fast across the down slow into the station goods yard branch around the corner to the right.The rails in the foreground are storage sidings corresponding to where the engineers siding under Park Hall wood would have been. The scenic back scene needs a bit of work! Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Just bought a book Midland main lines by John Palmer which details workings on the two main routes to London and across country NE to SW. At the rear of the book are workings or sightings of the unusual. It confirms V2 s were frequently used into Bham...A3 on occasion and indeed an O 4... Possibly a K1...k3 s definitely and on 29 th November 1959 a b16 61468 was seen at Saltley....

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a great day out on the Great Central railway at Loughborough. My intention was to see 70013 before its boiler ticket runs out. It was on my list of must see locos never having seen it before. I still need to see Scots Guardsman and Blue Peter. I was rewarded on my arrival at Loughborough Central by having 70013 on my train to Leicester North. The station is magnificent reminding me greatly of Water Orton in its heyday albeit on a grander scale. A marvellous experience made even better by the volunteers on the railway. On Sunday last made my annual trip on SVR with my wife and beautiful grandaughter....both railways have much to commend them.....again the voluntary efforts of so many people...well done to them all for two great experiences.

An unexpected bonus at Loughborough was a quick walk to the loco depot....past a line up of traction....D163 in particular was outstanding. I do love the peaks. A Happy new year to all best wishes Brian

• Like 2

Work on the layout has been ad hoc and involves the unglamorous tedium of wiring and electronics....the slip in particular is an interesting exercise. I am in the process of making a replacement control panel...30 odd points and a number of semaphore signals to operate ...loads of wires...

Additions to my loco roster over the Xmas period and for my birthday in January have included the Bachmann 1 f half cab...and the two Heljan diesels of class 15 and 16. I know can't justify them, but at the prices they were going for. You can see the link between my Ivatt 10800 and the class 16. One last piece of rash buying another class 44 added....it has been renumbered to D3 Skiddaw.

I now have D1 Scafell Pike, D3 Skiddaw, D5 Cross Fell, 44008 Penyghent D9 Snowden D10 Tryfan, the last two with correct grilles and in the case of D9 the replacement front end added to the real loco. All the class 44 went through Water Orton , at least one was seen every time I used to trainspot from the small station goods yard with my mates.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

A lovely vignette I found on the 'Transport Companies in Birmingham' forum:

'...in 1961 I put one of these Hippo's in the river at Water Orton. I did a stint for Horace Bridges in Minworth. Coming down the hill out of Water Orton towards Minworth freezing cold ,black ice everywhere, overloaded with railway scrap from Water Orton sidings, had to hit the brakes because an idiot car driver coming the other way over the single carriageway bridge, went into A skid, SPLASH through the parapet. Took all day to recover it but we did it ourselves, using our own cranes and the Hippo was back on the road next day. The river was only about 2 feet deep. Happy days.'

• Like 1

A lovely vignette I found on the 'Transport Companies in Birmingham' forum:

'...in 1961 I put one of these Hippo's in the river at Water Orton. I did a stint for Horace Bridges in Minworth. Coming down the hill out of Water Orton towards Minworth freezing cold ,black ice everywhere, overloaded with railway scrap from Water Orton sidings, had to hit the brakes because an idiot car driver coming the other way over the single carriageway bridge, went into A skid, SPLASH through the parapet. Took all day to recover it but we did it ourselves, using our own cranes and the Hippo was back on the road next day. The river was only about 2 feet deep. Happy days.'

It was Bridges of Minworth that scrapped the two Midland beauties shown earlier. My copy of steam for scrap states it was one of the better known bigger companies. It may well have been the case that they bought the locos but because of problems encountered getting them from Burton where withdrawn and their scrap yards they were deposited at Water Orton. They then sub contracted Bridges? As recorded I now live in Halesowen. There are a number of scrap premises in the nearby town of Lye. In the seventies one of them had a cab from a scrapped class 40 diesel in the yard.

Lastly for now, I rarely have cause to travel on my old route....however back in the eighties whenever I passed the scrapyard by Kingsbury I was amazed by the numbers of withdrawn diesels there. I seem to recall repairs to the bishop Vesey bridge over the Tame....however these may have been caused by other accidents....it is a very narrow bridge....and a wonderful aroma comes off the river!

Edited by 46256

• RMweb Gold

The river Cole also claimed a few victims. There were few bridges and right through its length there were many fords, one being Cole Hall Lane. We were one of the first families on the Shard End estate in 1951. A Bailey Bridge had been put up to improve access across the river during the winter. I remember my mother taking me down there to have a look at it and we found a loaded London Brick lorry lying on the water.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

The river Cole also claimed a few victims. There were few bridges and right through its length there were many fords, one being Cole Hall Lane. We were one of the first families on the Shard End estate in 1951. A Bailey Bridge had been put up to improve access across the river during the winter. I remember my mother taking me down there to have a look at it and we found a loaded London Brick lorry lying on the water.

yes I remember the bridge in shard end....was it an alternative route to the glebe farm estate? Edited by 46256

• 1 month later...

Working on a 8f chassis....the body from the GBL range. Comet chassis bought some time ago. Tried to source the markit 18 mm wheels without success at present. I have therefore bought a Hornby set....lot cheaper but not without some extra problems to surmount. The first the axles are 3 mm rather than one eiigth slightly thinner. I have a big portrscap bought for another project now sidelined. I'm pleased that the gear can be secured by the grubs crew ...I havnt tried but the high level gears should do the same. The next matter was to fix Romford crankpins....on three axles no problem straight screw in. On the crank axle a boss has been removed. The resulting hole in the remaining metal boss had to be drilled to accept the crankpin. It dislodged the boss....put back in after drilling and secured with superglue and slight touch with soldering iron. I have yet to solder up the chassis and will do so initially with the normal one eighth, bearings. This may create too much slop when the thinner axles are inserted... If so will replace with appropriate brass tube...might yet do that anyway...more soon

image.jpeg

• Like 2

A cautionary tale...ok downright numptiness....on reverting back to OO gauge some years ago. I replaced all my EM hand built points. On the non scenic side, and on the tight corners into the station scene with Peco curved and large radius code 75, together with SMP straight track in scenic area. The long crossovers both sides of East jct signal box were hand built using my proficiency, gained in EM. The down fast and slow one though, occasionally had a derail on the point blade joint. I never quite got it right....anyway treated myself to a lovely Hornby B17 for my recent birthday. The blighters bogie kept coming off ....wheels checked with  gauges...all ok....then my 9f pony did the same..again checked ok...bit the bullet up came the suspect point work. Two left hand peco bullhead left hand points purchased... You can see the geometry wasn't quite right but convinced myself when ballasted.

Now for my complete numpty moment...laid ballasted...glue applied.....not drying quick enough....look away now if faint hearted....dried it with a paint stripper heat gun. Plastic based points and heat guns don't respond well...New points ordered from Marcway.. Picture of the B17 on the peco ones.... One last footnote a B17 got to Brum on a footy special with Spurs fans......ok it came up on the North Western lines and was serviced at Monument Lane....but the way I feel at the moment that's close enough...and it was a great price at my local model shop with birthday vouchers acquired from family

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256

2 hours ago, 46256 said:

Working on a 8f chassis....the body from the GBL range. Comet chassis bought some time ago. Tried to source the markit 18 mm wheels without success at present. I have therefore bought a Hornby set....lot cheaper but not without some extra problems to surmount. The first the axles are 3 mm rather than one eiigth slightly thinner. I have a big portrscap bought for another project now sidelined. I'm pleased that the gear can be secured by the grubs crew ...I havnt tried but the high level gears should do the same. The next matter was to fix Romford crankpins....on three axles no problem straight screw in. On the crank axle a boss has been removed. The resulting hole in the remaining metal boss had to be drilled to accept the crankpin. It dislodged the boss....put back in after drilling and secured with superglue and slight touch with soldering iron. I have yet to solder up the chassis and will do so initially with the normal one eighth, bearings. This may create too much slop when the thinner axles are inserted... If so will replace with appropriate brass tube...might yet do that anyway...more soon

image.jpeg

Brian -what are using to "bush" the frames for the thinner axles, or do you find that Romfords do the job?

John

John I'm tempted to use the one eight bushes...the slop might be acceptable....I have however some brass tube with the od that can fit in the frames with a little help from my reamer...the inner dia is just right for the axles....again will photo. The resultant tube being cut by the dremel forming a bearing..again a picture might save a lot of words....cheers Brian

just realised using the tube...I have a Poppys jig ....a really useful chassis making tool....its alignment rods are for one eighth axles....mmm ...more soon when I've thought this through....

Edited by 46256

Points delivered from Marcway.....excellent craftsmanship....usual disclaimer...one already in situ. I have just used another fine product a ballast glue from the deluxe range. It comes with a fine stem applicator which dosn't disturb the laid ballast too much when applied. It is also faster drying than the ordinary pva diluted washing up liquid I normally use. It is expensive but for precision work around point work it seems to be the answer. Will photo in due course.

• Informative/Useful 1

Marcway points now in situ motorised and ballasted. One minor glitch my o3 shunter which I use to test electrical continuity didn't like going through the first point. I have come across this previously when I made my own points in EM using the society templates. A tight spot(s) can occur a little easing out with a screwdriver whilst applying the soldering iron cured this. The EM gauge society had a wonderful tool a milled steel weight. The milled part fitted between the rails. The larger piece on top. By pushing this through point work or curves it discovered tight spots or errant bits of ballast stuck to the inner rails. It's a shame not available in OO .

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Comet chassis soldered up using the one eighth bearings.... I did not ream these like I normally do to accept tthe usual markits axles. The result is the Hornby axles fit in without slop. The comet coupling rod has had the holes opened out with a broach and after trail and error t appears to be a free running chassis....now to fit the motor.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Just found on the. Warwickshire railways site all taken at Bromford bridge just down the line to Brum from Water Orton. The first two are of an A1 most likely 60114 WP Allen returning to the north east after getting as far south as Worcester, the peak is self explanatory.....the b1 light engine....and the location as I remember it best about five years later 68 to 69 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4