Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

G'Day Folks

Just a bit of show, finally got this D3 running, Hornby, GWR, County chassis, Hornby schools tender drive, scratchbuilt loco and tender bodies.

Like your Pannier build.

manna 

DSCF3733.JPG

DSCF3734.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Two more photos buffer beams and steps added just lining out  varnish number plates for 1505 and small tension lock couplers to complete...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

Thanks John....yes I am in the smug zone with this one....won't last...it runs very well courtesy of the mashima high level combination. 

The next project....still have the GBL 8f with the Hornby wheel set to finish, after I purloined its motor for the Stephenson motion black five...

I did spend an hour earlier though with my Lima class 40 weathering and adding pipe work ....makes a big difference just removing those massive tension lock couplers...I do love this hobby ....remind of this when the inevitable setback happens  best wishes Brian

Thanks Manna, always nice when a plan comes together. I had always thought the Lima 94 xx could  be made into a reasonable model of the 15 xx....hadn't quite appreciated the work involved but solving the problems along the way is what I find most satisfying . I have just been perusing the web and found these images will share. We used to live opposite the church until I was 10 , we then moved up to the " white city" at the other end of the village. The name by the way was the local term for that estate on account of each house being covered in white rendering ....I was especially saddened when the church lost its spire... The fantastic painting speaks for itself...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256

Small tension lock couplers added front and rear, just been pulling six coaches around the layout....better than some of my " bigger" engines. 

Lima class 40 detailed and weathered and dare I say to my eye capturing the feel of the real thing. I have bought a replacement motor....one intended originally for a cd. Player but my Lima motor seems fine even at slow speed. If it ain't broke etc.

i have now returned to the Garratt....sorry. I built these chassis pre optical headset purchase...and yes it shows. I had it running some time ago, what I didn't report was it would overload my gauge master double controller after a while. The two mashima 14 20 motors would also run so hot you could not touch them. In an effort to cure it I put a small portescap into one of the chassis. This created a nice running loco but at the expense that you could tell one chassis although freewheeling was unpowered. I have also discovered that other locos overload the controller so I have retired it to a secondary role. In respect of the Garratt I am reworking the chassis and replacing the motors with 14 28s .....sadly the 8 f has donated again...

From the sublime to the ridiculous Small 15 xx to a Beyer Garratt. I have been working on the latter, now with the benefit of my  Bachmann headvisor....

it has meant a virtual rebuild  of both chassis...but goodness me what a benefit. I've just had it running with thirty wagons. It now runs how I hoped it would when I commenced this drastic rebuild of the Heljan model .  I have sandboxes and minor detail to add will photo on completion. The 8 f will be next followed by a kirtley outside framed 060. My intention this year is to add the Dapol class 21 diesel ....fond memories of a rail rover trip in 1971 to Scotland, and a kernow models original D 600 warship. I saw the two in Barry scrapyard in 1969. I went around that site on the day they landed on the moon. 

Two photos of the now finished.....totally new chassis....mashima 16 20 motors Heljan based Garratt....pulling 43 wagons around my layout. There is an earlier photo on this thread of the same loco....looking as this does now, please trust me when I say this latest version is far superior not least I can now see properly what I'm doing....really happy...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 7

Working on my kirtley outside frame 060. I bought it on eBay a couple of years ago. It was fully assembled and ran very well with I assume it's original iKs motor. The problem, it had very little Sideplay and kept derailing on an unforgiving part of my PW. My solution ( I hope )  to put a comet jinty chassis under it...and as ever high level mashima gears and motor. I am having problems with the outside cranks markits deluxe. I. Have tried fixing them to the axle with superglue... Thread locker all to no avail keep working loose. I have just ordered have duty loctite 277 from Amazon...

• Like 1

The Kirtley 060 now with cranks secured by loctite.  Just for good measure my latest addition to coach roster LMS period 2 d 1782. They were built for Royal Scot train....comet sides airfix donor what beautiful coaches. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

Diesels at Bromford Bridge just down the line from Water Orton. The photo with the LMS shunter has a good view of the distinctive grilles fitted to D9 and in this case D10 Tryfan

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I went with my friends from the Water Orton Railway society  to Llangollen yesterday. A trip down the line to Carrog, then a guided visit to the works, diesel and steam.

In the works  Sir Nigel Gresley's boiler. The frames for the 47xx night owl and b17 Sandringham new builds.

Morayshire,  the Gresley 440 in bits....last seen by me under a tarpaulin sheet as we passed it on the 1971 Scottish railrover. This prompted a discussion of when is a cop a cop? I'm ashamed to say I underlined it in my combine back in 71. I feel a little more justified now ive seen it in the flesh, albeit in many pieces. On a worrying note the skills of boiler making....are they being taught?, apparently the resident expert is retiring soon. I have to admit seeing the works environment yesterday made me realise whilst I love the romance of the steam engine, working on them was/ is a demanding job. At least the works yesterday were warm and had a roof unlike the sheds of yesteryear.

Lastly whilst travelling back to the Midlands with my friend Don the subject of railtours came up. I had seen a photograph of 7029 Clun Castle in March 1965 travelling up the Lickey incline towards Brum, en route for its final destination of Nottingham Midland. I had seen  a photo of it there as well. The train was an Ian allan special.

I have used this as a justification for running a Castle on my layout, albeit I have never been able to substantiate that the special definitely went through, although logic applies that it did.

Don forwarded me an extract from a web page six bells jct....this records special workings.... sure enough March 65 this train from Paddington, up the lickey, camp hill Saltley, Tamworth Derby Nottingham then back to London...I think 7029 was already preserved by then ...will check... edit just checked Wikipedia apparently still in BR stock in March 65 being withdrawn in December that year and bought by PB whitehouse in 1966 and stored at Tyseley.

all I need now is photos or other records of a king...60113 or an A4 all travelling on Water Ortons hallowed rails

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

The webpage in question.....photo by Don of 80072 ...and lastly some members of the W.O.R.S with friends yesterday....not to be confused with the Hatton garden gang....

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Working on another model from a few years ago. This conversion was possible due to the great British locomotives magazine providing a supply of cheap bodies and tenders. My Stephenson black five was also created because of this. The conversion of this loco sparked a correspondence and subsequent friendship with Rowan J.  It had a serious mishap last year ....this has provided the opportunity to revamp it to my current standards. Comet chassis high level hi flier mashima motor....scratch bits and pieces including today the lubricator mechanism Hornby duke of Gloucester valve gear being adapted . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

Looking at my photos of yesterday was struck how perching the loco on the wooden guard beam at the end of my fiddle yard creates a reasonable backdrop to the model against the blue background. The photo itself taken by me standing on my loft ladder. Please excuse the empty boxes ...took the opportunity to show further work today on lubricators....plus portraits of 44767 and 73139 the latter the std 5 development of the Ivatt versions. I still consider the Stephenson double cranks to be one of my better achievements.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

My lovely wife has just looked at staffordshires model then mine....she said that had she her red pen with her ( she works in a school) she would write on mine " must try harder"

I will miss her...

Joking aside a superlative model Staffordshire a real inspiration.

best wishes Brian

Well I need to be honest, this was not built by me, but by a 'professional' builder ...  sometimes you just have to admit, I do not have the necessary skills !

I am very proud to have this model, as after an amount of weathering, to me it looks the 'real thing', which was so unusual ....

Thanks for the compliments ...

Ian 

RoyalScot 46127.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1