Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Thanks John, yes I have spent more time looking for these blighters than actually modelling....always nice to get it safely in place.

I've just sent my friend John Rowan an e mail of my Heljan based Garratt running,,,,sadly wont upload on this page. I've sent it not least he has been with me throughout its tortuous build....In spirit at least....just wanted to prove to him it actually runs. If anyone can advise how to reduce its size to enable posting please let me know best wishes Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for putting this further clip on my thread John. I thought it appropriate as this thread started with Bertha 's construction Big lads...certainly and that's not counting the layouts owner! I will if I may film the Stephenson motion class five...trying to focus on the motion in action....weird but wonderful....then again you might appreciate I'm no Stephen Speilberg behind the lens

Edited by 46256

Worm not secured well ( my fault not design) power applied fine plastic findings appear in motor.....teeth on gear disappear....then jam....

Sadly a well practised routine followed gear rod gently knocked through and offending gear removed. Phone call to Chris and replacement stage one gear ordered....great service as ever from him.

image.jpeg

My sympathy with the previous pictures.

I hate trying to glue gears or worms onto axles or motors. Either the glue takes too quickly and they are in the wrong place, or else they don't hold. To remdy the latter I now as standard practise wipe the motor shaft or axle with Track Cleaning Fluid, and let it dry off without touching. This seems to get it sufficiently clean - grease free - for superglue to bite and hold.

Chris in his instructions specifies smearing the superglue/ loctite on the motor shaft end once the worm is in place. Presumably capilliary action is meant to do the trick, I'm yet to test my A2 under real load to see how well it holds.

The joys of kit-building!!

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again to John (R) for posting the latest on you tube then on here. As stated not quite a Speilberg quality film. The loco is the unique Stephenson motion black five 44767. Double cranked off the driving axle. The motion is by Bill Bedford....no instructions....caused me to study lots of films on the net plus picking the brains of Mike Edge who was demonstrating at Warley, and not forgetting the contribution of Mark axlecounter a black five aficionado ..

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

The need to use glue on the worms is the only drawback to the otherwise excellent High level geaeboxes. I find they stay in place OK, but you only get one chance to get the mesh right..The design is so good that the mesh is easily found with the worm loose on the shaft. I do hope that at some point Chris can upgrade to a screw fixing, as he did with the axle gears.

It was a pleasant,and a simple task, to post the videos, and to see in action the loco s described during their construction.

John

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello John (R) I'm sure you've felt like you have been working on my creations as much as me the way I've used our correspondence to vent my feelings when things havnt always gone to plan. I do know that we are kindred spirits that when it does turn out ok there is no satisfaction quite like it..ok winning that £170 million could have come close

• Friendly/supportive 1

John thanks again for doing the techno stuff......The beautiful Johnson single built and painted / lined by an unknown modeller. I added the new chassis both in the loco and under the tender.  The coaches being pulled include two of the comet sided  period two conversions. fFive  coaches are it max load......what's not filmed is the opposite side of the layout and an unintended gradient on a curve on its exit which tests the pulling power or in the case the adhesion of my locos. It does fairly zip along through the station though. Spinners were regulars on the NE/ SW route

I have just spoken with a regular visitor to this thread, Mark Towers ( Axlecounter) His wonderful layout Bucks Lane has just featured in the 70 th anniversary edition of a Railway Modeller. He is quite rightly very pleased. Well Done Mark and thanks again for your help understanding the Stephenson motion on 44767. best wishes Brian

• 3 weeks later...

About to commence a new project. It was a post by John (r) concerning my reworking of the box of bits found at my local model shop. The resulting loco, at least to my eye made the effort worth it resurrecting this fore lorn collection of Whitemetal into a fine 2f. 

During the Heljan Garratt reworking...saga....when at a very low ebb Mark Sent me a ks Garratt he had awaiting his time and effort.  I will photo in due course ...if anything it is in a worse condition than the 2f was. Please I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful even in this condition, I know they can still attract interest on eBay. Mark did not want any payment, but I couldn't allow such an act of generosity . I am constantly suprised by the goodwill amongst my fellow modellers. 

I am in the process of acquiring the necessary parts to make it into a reasonable model and will report on the progress. The ks superstructure has been assembled but wil need considerable work . The main areas though on commencing this project will be the two chassis. I have as might be appreciated a certain amount of experience in motorising new chassis for these locos. My first purchase has been two sets of Hornby 4f wheels. The equivilant markits being a it too much for my finances. I have just ordered two comet fowler 264t frame sets and motion . It will be my intention to build up two chassis before progressing to motorisation. This will eventually be provided by high level with their gearboxes and 1219 motors.(comet LMS cylinders also on future purchase list.

In the final assssment making models us what I really enjoy and seeing a Phoenix arise from the ashes...

• Friendly/supportive 1

The starting point...bits and pieces. The items in container some of the parts required ....includes two Hornby 9f pony trucks. I cut off the moulded steps . I like the weight of the metal trucks both bought as indeed were the 4f wheels from PetersSpares.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Comet fowler 264t frames and motion X 2 now received....one set of coupling rods soldered together . When both done will commence building frames using Poppys jig.the rods will act as guides. The motion sets require alteration for the Garratt...the motion support brackets for example located inside the coupling roads rather than outside as on  the 264t.

• Like 1

More work on the motion, the eccentric rods need shortening to 17 mm from the hole for the crank to the one for expansion link. Both sets of coupling rods fettled together and frames shortened from the 264 configuration to the 260 one. The required length is 123 mm from front of frames. There is also a gap at the front of frames that requires a piece soldering into, the tank having curved front frames, the Garratt straight across. I will be building the frames rigid. I have found it desirable to reinforce the etched hornblocks with solder thus removing the etched gaps. I have had a hornblock fail on a previous chassis by coming adrift?  I now reinforce all my new build comet frames this way. Will photo...one picture equal to a thousand words.

• Like 1

Frames worked on....shows the reduction in length ....reinforced hornblocks now with bearings in place....front gap filled with left over etch from the frames pack...now to assemble frames with the Poppys jig...

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

A cold  loft  a bit of a deterrent at the moment....fitted the markits crankpins yesterday to one of the Hornby wheelsets. It required forcing out the existing metal crank inserts. The resultant hole filled with epoxy and the markits crankpin added. All seems secure now I've allowed 24 hrs to set.

• Like 1

My annual trip to Warley today. I know that some contributors to this thread have mixed views. I share them n a way. I know the work and effort the Warley club puts into this show having a number of friends in that society. It is a good venue plenty of room and sufficient area to sit or take refreshments. It attracts a number of the best modellers in the country their layouts and demonstrations by them. It is just so big...overwhelming. My favourite layout was the spirit of Swindon in n gauge a superb renidition of that station / shed and some of the works. A great feature of the layout it becomesdark, nighttime, and all the  lights in the buildings come on. I did pick up some useful bits and pieces. I also registered with an outfit called KR models. They are currently producing the GT3 460 loco a sample of which was on. Display. They are seeking expressions of interest prior to producing a FELL locomotive. I would love to have this loco so have signed up. Lastly real nostalgia bought a made up Kirmaster Stirling Single and box. This was the first scale loco I ever owned made for me by my Dad. The model , has been built and painted very much as I remember Dad's version. It is proudly displayed on top of its box. I won't be altering it. I will photo.

The first set of Garratt frames soldered together, new handrail knobs fitted to front tender so progressing.

in respect of the fell it will start at around £140 for a dcc ready version, which if  they do come in at that price I feel is excellent having just paid quite a bit more for the Kernow  D600 . They are lovely models though.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1