Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

• 4 weeks later...

Just reading some earlier correspondence from Mark including some pictures of the Garratt I am currently working on.  I have shown them as a comparison if and when I finish the refurb.

Coincidently the upgraded Heljan version is starting to arrive in the shops, I will resist the temptation ...

This was not the case with Christmas prezzies from family and self...Kernow D602 added to the roster. A great model....spent Xmas afternoon fitting the detail. A ltd edition Heljan lion bid for and secured on e bay. It is wrapped up for my birthday in January.....what a livery ! Lastly a retailer voucher has gone towards a Dapol class 21.. 

I know none of these ever ventured through my hallowed ground...just want  a fell diesel and a jack shaft LMS shunter....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Those Kernow D600's are very tasty indeed, and I've been very tempted - the problem is I don't know which to go for! Green original condition would look mega with a set of Chocolate and Cream Mk1's, but the D602 in blue with small yellow panel is also very attractive. The variant you have I like as well! Perhaps your D602 has been to Glasgow for attention by NB loco in its dying days, and is returning via the S&C and Midland lines to the Western Region.

Good to see your work on the Garratts is progressing.

John.

• Like 1

Thank you John....stranger workings than the one described may have happened....although very much in the steps of one of my modelling heroes David  Jenkinson I don't mind having the odd visiting loco do a spin....much to the delight of any local spotters. Compliments of the season by the way  Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

This layout whilst reflecting my love of railways, is also a reminder of a wonderful childhood spent in this village. I live some thirty miles away now, and rarely if ever visit the village. My brother visited yesterday whilst back here from his new home abroad. He rang last night and spoke about the new school built on a new site in Plank Lane. It's relocation because of the proposed HS2 . The original 1870 building which my mum , then my two brothers and I attended still stands but it's future uncertain. My layout will alays be Water Orton circa 1960...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A pleasant afternoon adding the small yellow warning panel , headcode discs , pipe work and couplings to my new Dapol class 21. Another winner of a model ...the panel first painted in Matt White...then when dry the yellow on top. A tip from the distant past. A fine spray of dark earth aimed at chassis  to add that brake dusted look...

The reason for this loco if one needed memories of a Scottish rail rover in 1971 and the lone sample D6122. Seen at Barry...

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

I have finished the quite extensive reworking of the garratt body . It has been painted and numbered 47968 with small  dog on dartboard crest on cab. I paint in gloss to allow good transfer adhesion. I then apply matt varnish ...light dusting of  humbrol dark earth at or near the chassis ( in this case still being worked on )

will photo progress later 

All this coinciding with the arrival of the revamped Heljan in retailers . Initial reports of it are very favourable...always was a beautiful looking model hopefully now with performance to match.  I suppose if this had been the case with original batch would have saved me a small fortune, but would have missed the challenge and pleasure of seeing my version(s)

• Like 3

I think it happens to all of us....something isn't quite right....so it is with my revamped ks body....then it hits you.....in this case the cab doors are missing....nothing for it but to separate cab roof then add the missing doors.....the attached photo by the late Geoff Brewin of comet models illustrates how prominent they are......what a model....inspiration.image.jpeg.bc08e6fae4ac4d2fae27955e124cec0b.jpeg

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

Love Garratts, used to chase them here in Australia, we had some Narrow Gauge ones at Peterborough SA. Here's a couple (4-8-2+2-8-4)

Garrett No 400 and T 199 at Port Pirie 1969.jpg

401 waits at Crystal Brook 1969.jpg

404 steams across Yunta creek 1969.jpg

Edited by manna
Wrong information, Not 2-8-4+4-8-2, other way round.
  • Like 5

Thanks manna never seen one in action I envy you. Hope you and your loved ones are OK given the grave situation in your country with the fires. I'm sure I speak for all in wishing you and your countrymen well.

on a modelling note just added the missing cab doors. I used clear Perspex blanked off the Windows with tape...sprayed my black .dark earth mixture...waited til dry...removed tape....cut doors to shape added via Rear bunker aperture....hole to the less subtle amongst us.....glued in place and no need to remove cab roof. Crew to be added same way in due course...window glazing will be cut to size and fixed in with varnish......but now the chassis photo of bodywork to date...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

G'day Folks.

Thank you for your concern, we are well away from the Big fires (1,000 km), but we have had a large fire on Kangaroo Island which is only 300 km away, but it is on an Island, we are getting the smoke drifting over, enough to drop visibility down to a Kilometer, and the heavy smell of wood smoke.

Glad you like the pictures of the Garratts, they are treasured items now, I took most of the pics in the 1968/9 era.

manna

• Friendly/supportive 4

Thanks Mark ....working on the  front chassis at the moment. This time I can't get on with the Hornby wheelsets planned for this to save costs.They are so firmly attached to the knarled ends of the axle finding it very difficult to get correct quartering whilst adding the now made up railroader plus gearbox and 1219 motor. I'm pleased though that as ever the gears and motor have gone together well. I have been lucky to source some Romford 21 mm wheels without taking out a second mortgage and those are fitted. The result a nice running chassis, on test. I need to add pickups...brake gear...motion ...Cylinders....inverted motion brackets...to finish....oh and provide a bit of lead weight and means of articulation...blinking big engines these garratts.

• Like 3

More work on leading chassis.

Romford/ markit wheels now in situ...test wires from 1219' all working ok. I added the motion brackets earlier, they are behind the rods unlike most LMS locos. In addition front bogie wheel splashers soldered in place. The next job pick ups , brake gear and cylinders

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Another birthday and as ever my family have indulged me. I have added a Dapol class 22. and this Heljan Lion.  I can't offer any justification other than the pleasure of collecting. The only main line diesel not on my roster now ( 1950 to 1976) is the Fell. I would love to have this,  having fallen for the charms of a Mike Edge model operating on the Chapel en Frith layout  This was at Warley a couple of years ago. I want the version with the split coupling rods. I'm tempted by Mikes model....I gather the subtle curves on the etched body are a bit daunting. The main concern I have though is over the chassis...wheeling and gearbox needed  for the split version. 

In in the meantime looking at my colour reference books to add weathering to Lion. I am suprised however how clean it was kept.......Ok if adopted into general service rather than the short period it was on trial in 1962.

i found this photo of it on test.... 20 carriages from standstill up the lickey ....

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Happy birthday from another who's builders plate lists January!

I think that Heljan model of "Lion" is a real belter, and I doubt if more than a handful of people, if that, could achieve the fine lining on the sides and around the buffer beam. The little book you show is a real delight as well, with photos taken in a semi professional capacity of all sorts of Sulzer powered locos. Some of these small softbacks, long now out of print, always seem to me to be a treasure trove for us modellers.

John.

• Like 1

Thank you  both , really enjoy  your, and indeed every one else's contributions to this thread. The Heljan model is superbly painted and lined.  I have a model in my display case of the original deltic. I tried years ago to apply the really excellent transfers by  Fox for this loco. I will admit it beat me. . On a visit to my local model shop some time later I was taken aback by a kitmaster ( original version) model .  The unknown modeller had done a superb job, indeed it stands comparison with the later national collection model. It was duly purchased. I added a motorised chassis. I will take out of case and photo. My only regret since, , I removed  the distinctive Flying Scotsman headboard fitted. My reason ,to justify it on a Euston to Liverpool run ....diverted of course off the Trent Valley line. In retrospect a piece of modelling vandalism by your truly!

The model even has etched makers plates

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

That was a standard BR test for diesels in the early 1960s.

Stop at Vigo IB Signal and restart 20 coaches without assistance. 

May I ask where would this test train originate from and run to? The photo seems to show a mixed bag of carriages ....added for the load rather than revenue? Clearly in my photo they had travelled through Brum ...to Derby and were on return.........

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 46256 said:

May I ask where would this test train originate from and run to? The photo seems to show a mixed bag of carriages ....added for the load rather than revenue? Clearly in my photo they had travelled through Brum ...to Derby and were on return.........

In 1961/1962 the WR ran trials on various Type 4 locos. Following trials with a Peak banking on Lickey for Type 4 diesel-hauled trains up to 12 coaches and some fitted freight was abolished from 12th March 1962.

Reported in the May 1962 issue of Modern Railways, 'Falcon' reached 100mph on the level with 273 tons trailing and 75mph with 600 tons. On the South Devon banks it took 550 tons unaided with restarts on the steepest curved sections against 360 tons for a King. On Lickey it restarted 638 tons from a stand northbound at Vigo during each of six runs on 6/7 February. The train pictured on Lickey included the Swindon Dynamometer car followed by what looks like a ferry van then 18 assorted bogie coaches. Reported elsewhere it also took a mineral train of over 500 tons unaided.

The report stated that the WR was going to repeat the trials with a 'Western' for comparison. 

More info here. http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_feature_424.php

'Lion' was reported sighted on Lickey in June. It repeated the 'Falcon' tests on Lickey and Dainton in August 1962.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_feature_425.php

• Like 1