Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Thank you for this info. I forgot the Lickey was under western control by 62. The other fact the use of the dynamometer coach. If memory serves wasn't the Swindon one of Hawksworth design.? Just edited this, read the other page you listed which indeed shows this vehicle and its many uses

The series of books mentioned...the colour of....

i have tried to buy any archive colour material ....mindful that colour is very subjective and can vary on photos due to a number of factors.

The class 22 were strange beasts being shorter than the Scottish class 21 29 and hydraulic rather than diesel electric. I never saw one north of Gloucester or in Wales. They had long gone before I ventured into thier native sou western territory. Their demise was at the time in my life when other interests took over.

Edited by 46256

Just read the page on lion very informative ....a mythical beast indeed. The BRCW plant was situated a few miles from my present home. I travel  through its siteon a regular basis, The site dissected by the Stourbridge to Snow hill and metro lines. It is near the Hawthorns station ....the only reminder are the remains of ramparts of a connecting bridge between the two parts of the works.

I can't  help myself still embroiled in finishing the last Garratt.....then a gem LNWR cauliflower....gears and 1219 ordered from Chris. Whilst speaking with him queried if he had produced a gearing motor arrangement for Mike Edge's 'Fell kit. Chris replied he had then proceeded to describe the arrangement. 

I called Mike today but the kit is temporarily out of stock. This gave me time to pause and consider the next steps. The provision of wheels for example. The driving wheels were 4 ft 3 inches. This is the same size as the J94 steam loco. It appears the Hornby ones are available . Then the problem no extension of the axle to fit outside crank. I have a spare markits extended axle....just fitted it to a left over Hornby wheel. Very secure when the nut tightened. No problem with quartering that being the problem for the outside cranks. The next problem the Fell had distinctive os cranks....no doubt Mikes kit reproduce these by laminating a number of etches. Without them to hand not yet certain how they can be affixed to the axles. You may gather I'm really tempted to test my self with this kit. If I do will catalogue its construction here. In the meantime must be disciplined and at least finish the Garratt.

• Like 1

Just read mikes instructions for the Fell. It makes the Garratt seem like a walk in the park by comparison. He uses stanier 16 mm tender wheels with the accompanying 2 mm axles. The cranks are laminated. Yes definately finish my current projects before attempting this. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/01/2020 at 17:43, 46256 said:

Thank you for this info. I forgot the Lickey was under western control by 62. The other fact the use of the dynamometer coach. If memory serves wasn't the Swindon one of Hawksworth design.? Just edited this, read the other page you listed which indeed shows this vehicle and its many uses

The series of books mentioned...the colour of....

i have tried to buy any archive colour material ....mindful that colour is very subjective and can vary on photos due to a number of factors.

The class 22 were strange beasts being shorter than the Scottish class 21 29 and hydraulic rather than diesel electric. I never saw one north of Gloucester or in Wales. They had long gone before I ventured into thier native sou western territory. Their demise was at the time in my life when other interests took over.

Another one here who never saw a 22 north of Gloucester, my first sightings in April 1970 were D6310 & D6320 just there. I also rememeber the trio of Hymeks as Lickey bankers at the same time, D7022-24 IIRC. Happy days!

John.

Hello John yes remember the Hymeks on the Lickey again the only ones underlined in  my combine for a while. I fortunately saw quite a few more when I ventured down south  when I could afford a bit more than a midlands rail rover!

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Another one here who never saw a 22 north of Gloucester, my first sightings in April 1970 were D6310 & D6320 just there. I also rememeber the trio of Hymeks as Lickey bankers at the same time, D7022-24 IIRC. Happy days!

John.

Thought I managed to post on this last night but it seems to have disappeared into cyberspace.

There were some stored at Worcester before disposal but I don't know if they saw any traffic use there. @Phil Bullock may know. 

Also there's a picture at Warwick. My guess is that it arrived with the Regent tanks from Acton for the depot in Cape Yard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coincidence? Whilst looking at downloaded instructions for the kit built fell an e mail arrived from KR models. I had seen their GT3 sample at Warley, and noted their intention to produce a fell. I signed up my expression of interest on my return from the show. I didn't hold out much hope there would be sufficient interest.The email today stated they had reached the level of interest to now proceed to production and we're taking payments. I duly enrolled in that scheme.I have just been alarmed by another e mail from the company stating there are technical problems with the pre payment site. I suppose given my former employment I feared....fear a scam. I have jst been re assured by checking the RM web and the KR models page started by Andy York back in November. The site will be restored in due course. 

I have to be careful with my funds so I have sufficient each month to continue sponsoring the Nigerian Princess which I have over these past few years.

in respect of modelling second Garratt chassis now soldered together, romfords added and glad to report very free running under finger power. Motor and gearbox to be built up and added.

• Like 3

Sunday afternoon always a good time to add photos all relating to recent posts. Hymek on Saltley. The deltic the majority by an unknown superb modeller...my contribution motorised chassis flush glazing .....lastly progress on Garratt 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

The January. 1999 British Railways illustrated featured Water Orton and the article / spotting notes covering the mid fifties until early sixties. The article was accompanied by some of the authors photos, and some by the late Mike Mensing. The author recorded a grange in Water Orton sidings . He didn't record whether it returned from the sidings back to Brum using the crossovers at West Jct, or as witnessed by me many times light engine travelling down to the crossovers just past the station East jct, then back through the station. My spotting mates often discussed whether the wider cylinders Western region locos would have the necessary clearance through the station  platforms. The down goods line could have been used though. They were a bit older than me but even they hadn't started spotting at this location until the mid sixties. The debates were held 1969 to 71 which was the height of my spotting era. They hadn't therefore witnessed the yards in full operation . They did witness lighting being added / updated ....just before the yards closed in 68!

another high level roadrunner plus and 1219 assembled for the second chassis. It is being run in but already true to form nice, quiet  and powerful. Whilst doing so had the Deltic running around with a rake of maroon stock replicating a diverted Red Rose Euston to Lime Street....shame I don't have the headboards.

Gday Manna sorry for delayed reaction to your post the film initially didn't appear just your greeting...what locos 

Are the 601 still in service? Impressive but still prefer the garratt....lastly the express steam loco at he end ...very impressive best wishes Brian

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Sadly only one of the 600 class is still in service No 602. Although another is in storage.

523,  is now preserved (Static) 520 is under restoration, and will run again .......one day.

manna

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 46256 said:

Signal engineer did a GW type ever get as far as Burton in BR days....would they use an actual loco to test clearances ? Really appreciate your information best wishes Brian

I don't know if there were any booked workings, the ones I saw were usually on the Washwood Heath trains. In the 1950s they were only permitted as far as Water Orton. 

As far as testing clearances, when the electrification was on and the ECS from a Euston train was booked to go to Kings Norton they ran a Duchess around all of the platforms at New Street then out to Kings Norton and back to Aston Shed to see if it hit anything. They were barred from at least one platform so I assume that it didn't manage to get through. The Halls were only allowed through about four roads at New Street.

Most WR outside cylinder locos were barred between Kings Norton and New Street IIRC. When a Castle worked a special in the 1950s it came off at Bournville then went via Camp Hill and Bordesley to rejoin the train when it got onto the WR main line.

• Like 1

I ran my Bachmann A1 60147 yesterday, first time....in a while....struggled with a seven coach train on my notorious exit from fiddle yard. To be fair some of the coaches have comet brass sides. 

I have the same firms A2... This romped around with an eight carriage load. I have taken the rear Spring from pony truck on A1 and its haulage has improved taking the now eight coaches around . The A2 does seem heavier in the region of firebox and rear boiler than the A1. Meanwhile second Garratt chassis progressing now run in on test.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Always a good moment when building a Garratt.....this my fourth....getting the pivot points correct and seeing all three components combined and travelling around the layout.  Four sets of motion...brakes...sandboxes to add

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks Mark, yes it does look a little different from when you kindly sent it too me. The fitting of top class components from comet and high level help with its looks and very good running. The pivot points had been marked by the kit designers. I merely drilled them our and soldered brass screws in place. Brass tube soldered into the chassis acts as the second portion. The metal kit does have a real presence when compared to my two other plastic bodied ones.

Best wishes Brian

• Like 1

Working on one of the four chassis. Slidebars made from brass rod filed square sandboxes between wheels, balance weight and brakes added just ensuring the correct sit  of the cylinders and ensuring the crosshead dosnt foul the lead coupling rod screw. So far so good.plus a Saltley memory ....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6