Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Outer frames added, brass body platform still with some etched components within its parameters...just resting for the moment. I will be adding pick ups and getting a fully running chassis before attempting the body . I have spoken with a Chris who confirmed the packing error he is sending me the correct axle gear and bearing implants. This will put me in a dilemma....I'm very much if it's not broke don't fix it,and it is working well....or is it if it's not broken fix until it is..

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Dilemma resolved adding the pick ups has shown a couple of areas where my increased Sideplay on the two non powered driving axles causes a short with the outer frames. I will be removing them and hopefully by glueing some very thin plasticard in the correct place will eliminate the shorting problem. This will necessitate removing the outer frames. This will allow access again to the motor so will add the correct  bearings when they arrive, Chris  said he has sent them.

Outer frames removed and insulation via very thin plasticard and electrical tape  applied, to the live side...the latter with a bit of contact adhesive to assist bonding. It has also allowed me to fit overlays on the main driving wheels which are supplied in the kit. You probably won't see them but...having said that I am not going to fit the brakes supplied. 

Edited by 46256

Work on chassis suspended until the gear bits and pieces arrive from Chris. Thus has allowed me to do the mind numbing job of forming the rivets on the body courtesy of a compass and a hammer

I know only because my mallet wasn't handy..joking aside because half etched the result is quite pleasing...photo attached....have tried this on virgin metal before not so good

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

New correct axle gear and 2mm bearings have arrived from Chris. I have removed the original one eighth bearingsfitted to the gearbox and pleased to say the 2mm bearings do the same job on the outside of pivoting the drive coupler by adding the restraining washer. The doctored one eighth axle gear will have my adaptions removed and put into my spares box. The correct parts fitted and yes an appreciable difference to the running qualities not least removing a fear of failure further down the line...then again prototypical?   Will be soldiering on with the chassis now.

• Like 3

Working chasdis including whirling outside cranks. The chassis is running in before I move on. I have adapted the original kit  apologies to Mike. I couldn't  get the bogies to clear the inner frames. My solution was to remove them  over the bogies and replace with two pieces of nickel silver platforms. The two front resin axle boxes are in place to test clearance as us the brass platform. I I omitted one of the four crank etches on each axle  as recommended in the instructions. The axle boxes are thinned....I have a chassis that now works on my layout . Those outside rods and cranks make it worthwhile.

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have had real problems keeping the bogies on the track. The kit is designed for central screws at each end, bearing down via springs. My layout just wouldn't accommodate this refined method, again better modellers than myself would probably succeed.  The resulting long rigid platform tending to throw them off on my less than perfect permanent way. I have though perservered . I have introduced swing arms which in turn are fixed to the bogie, at their ends rather than the middle. This was the way Hornby Dublo fixed their bogies on their Duchess for example. It has worked for me, my loco must run not just be a static display. 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Great believer in showing warts and all on how I solve modelling problems. The first photo is of how the bogies should be made up courtesy of a modeller on another website. The second the result of my lazily using the Hornby versions. You may note the butchery in their centre my attempt to introduce Sideplay to no avail. My solution is shown....my n/s platforms have been made into  a t shape again to prevent wheel fouling and lastly the working chassis having just completed its mandatory 25 times around the layout without incident. I have added another refinement an inverted spacer over the front wheels into which a weight added. This is to counterbalance the motor end. All hit and miss I'm afraid until it comes good.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Having run in to my satisfaction chassis had visited paint shops...resin sandboxes added first  Mike in his notes states the coupling rods were either unpainted or as here in red. I've just checked an excellent YouTube post of a completed model which has left them unpainted...I will see how I get on with it if need be will either remove or paint with oily steel

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On the subject of coupling rod colour I really like them red, and if Mike after all his research can't give a definitive answer ......red they will stay.....until that previously unseen photo emerges...

My friend John R has just sent me the same photo of the fell...it's being used as the advert for the proposed RTR  by KR models. The uncropped version is in the book mentioned copyright colour rail. . I've just had another session. With the rad slats....ten down fifteen to go..

• Like 1

That last shot is from May 1954, with the loco off to the IRC exhibition at Willesden. According to Modern Locomotives Illustrated, vol.185, it stayed like that until March 1957 when it went green. Most of the pictures in the MLI are in B&W, but I wonder nonetheless if the coupling rods were ever not polished metal, with only the balance weights being red?

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

The body starting to take shape, this is not a simple kit the parts need a lot of filing ....not that I'm complaining  its been just the tonic in these times. The other nose end casing yet to be added plus roof vents etc....but really pleased...and those cranks....will film on completion and as usual ask my friend John R to post on my behalf

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have a copy of the magazine modern locomotives illustrated mentionsed  by John with more photos of the fell including the one above. Just below it is a photo of the fell in green. It is travelling on an express and the sun is shining off what appears to be shiny coupling rods..... Red paint removed from my model