Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

More work on the Fell blinking cab roof vents....also rain strip added to one end other to do....getting there red removed from coupling rods

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Certainly is John more twiddley bits added just the handrails to cab and handrail etches to the bonnet, to finish off the construction part. 

A light dusting of primer for now  to reveal any  nasty bits the handrails  next, then full  priming and painting., transfers ...then the glazing.....

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Mark .....nights thirty years of them....no more thank goodness....anyway handrails added.  Primed and painted....only to find havnt got enough express passenger lining.....just ordered....still gives me time to consider the glazing

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mark let me know how you get on with the Fowler, I am tempted by Mikes Stanier class 3 tank. I also have a soft spot for the jack shaft shunter  12033 , and the Barclay 060 shunter D2400 class.......

as as ever getting ahead of myself.

I haven't posted the picture but now numbered, crests added, cab handrails painted white, inside of cabs painted This leaves the  lining,then satin varnish , slight dusting of dark earth around chassis , three link and hose one end only ...the other using the NEM socket small tension lock., on the Hormby bogie. This has just enabled me to have eight Hornby Crimson and cream porthole stock taken around in style.

Lead added in the central body cavity and the wonderful high level 1320. Aiding the tractive effort.

Oh and still the glazing ....just cut out one window...filed to shape....5 to go. I will use glue and glaze for the funny shaped side window and just two pieces of Perspex stuck behind the doors....but flush glaze the front windscreen. The cab interiors will be added last complete with driver.

• Like 5

Thank you John yes really pleased with the result. It is a credit to Mike Edge who researched, designed and produced this kit. It has tested my skills and indeed my patience but overall a very pleasant endeavour.  Two minor adjustments to be done  1. whilst pulling under load. The use of the bogie with the coupling this occasionally caused it to derail. I am going to put the coupling behind the buffers using the body to take the strain. I will also add a bit more weight I feel I can improve its tractive effort...seven coaches  are its limit at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Less is more, no extra weight added, however coupler now fixed to the body rather than bogie. It has just been pulling eight Hornby Crimson cream Ex LMS coaches including a 12 wheel restaurant car around the layout. It struggles a bit on my unintended Version of the Lickey incline, but then again some big RTR steam do so as well.  Eight coaches on my layout gives a fair representation of a steam age express. The twelve wheeler was a bit heavy footed. I checked the bogies and sure enough one axle was sticking. It had slight rust at the end... The coach was bought second hand some time ago and not run until now. The rust cleaned of, axle hole cleaned with a slight application of a hand drill...smooth running now .  There you have it a loco I never thought I would own let alone build from a kit. 

• Like 3

Sublime to the ridiculous now working on a GBL body of a 28xx . I have had the chassis kit...comet...Mashima motor and high level gearbox for quite a while. My only justification as with the 15 xx, I have got to know them well on the SVR in fact footplated it at Kidderminster courtesy of my good friend Steve "Jongo" Jones a driver on the valley. We travelled over the crossover then down the platform to the water column . It was a fine day....I gather the same exercise , we were in reverse, in bad weather....respect for the Westen enginemen ...

The model,  just scraping off the moulded handrails adding brass ones and the smokebox dart really lift the standard of the model. The Fell happily circling me as I work with its nine coaches far better now the coupling arrangement is fixed to the body rather than the bogie.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on LMS rebuilt 460 s inspired by Iain 92220 and his Camden thread...not to his standard though, also replacing one of my points at East jct with a just ordered Marcway example photos soon....oh yes the 28 xx ...have sadly done my usual clumsy trick and shorn of gear teath...Chris with his usual forebeafance, is sending a replacement and spare first stage gear...it will be 2875 as the loco in the Old Oak Common book I am using as reference

• Like 1

Whilst working on the LMS locos....namely new frames for my Hornby Scot. This loco had a chassis failure....the keeper plate keeping the gears meshed worked loose, not uncommon in Hornby locos of this era early 2000 s apparently. I botched the chassis up so badly I had to replace with a scratch build...this was when Comet products were unavailable. I've never really been happy as I used the Hornby Scot rods as a guide for the axles positions. I've bitten the bullet and orderd new frames  in addition to a full chassis for a rebuilt Jubillee 45735 comet. I have a mainline body now repainted green awaiting plates. I have also  ordered from fox transfers yellow cab stripes. This will date the loco in the last few months of its life 64 to 65 when based on Gt central at Annesley. In my case just for a bit of variety. Lastly looking at the mainline and a GBL Scot body based on it. The correlation between firebox and cab. When first introduced Larry Goddard Railway modeller 1982! Had an article reducing the cab height to make it less . I was going to swap the cab on the jubillee....on removing it though I don't think the problem is with the cab but with the firebox. It is too slanted at the rear...too shallow. I've compared it to two drawings....Ian Beattie lms locos Bradford Barton..and matches ...however against the Roche drawing that drawing shows the model forebox  ax too shallow.  I know Iain has used a Hornby Scot and Bachmann jubillee to create his example.  I will live with the discrepancy....More importantly my wallet will

• Like 2

Morning,

I look forward to seeing how you get on.  
a couple of thoughts:

the cab on the old rebuilt Jubilee is definitely too high.  Should be (from memory, Mike Edge said) 51.9mm from rail head to the top of the roof.  If you check back through my thread I got somewhere near with the old one.
Comet frames on the Hornby Scot don’t fit the rear all that well and need a fair bit of filing to sit low enough.

if you build it with the gearbox on the middle driver and the motor to the rear of that, it gets nose-heavy, so maybe worth considering an alternative arrangement.  I will on my next one.  Which may be quite soon!

45735 almost there:

ED5629FD-7099-4481-B4FD-87B42E962F57.jpeg.66a96d3747cefd2b9d85464ee61bcefe.jpeg

Iain

• Like 6

Iain your post couldn't be more timely just been in the loft all afternoon exoeriencing the exact  problems you describe.

Good afternoon John Hornby do as you say the rebuilt scot and patriot...the two  rebuilt jubilees comet and Phoenix  don't at first glance look all that different from the rebuilt patriots.......and the biggest difference between  those and the Scots are the cabs . I do say at first glance  ....

Iain  great work with Comet .  I I think I've read. On your thread there is a difference in the size or position of the Windows between the Patriot and Jubillee?

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

The comet cbasis placed temporarily under the mainline body....definately sits better than under the Hornby. In fairness these were designed to replace the split chassis ( mainline) or tender drive (airfix)

In respect of the Scot my original scratch attempts had  lead soldered in the right places to aid traction and counter the nose dive.....had hoped to avoid doing that with the comet....a real faff .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

At risk of sounding like a total peasant, how different externally is 45735 to a Rebuilt Patriot as modelled by Hornby?

John.

not totally obvious, John, but the Patriot cab is quite a bit shallower than the Jubilee one.

Even less obvious is the smokebox saddle.

There will no doubt be other minor differences between a rebuilt Pat and a rebuilt Jub  but I chose to build 45735 basically as they did in real life.  Start with a Jubilee and graft a 2A boiler to it.

5 hours ago, 46256 said:

Iain your post couldn't be more timely just been in the loft all afternoon exoeriencing the exact  problems you describe.

Good afternoon John Hornby do as you say the rebuilt scot and patriot...the two  rebuilt jubilees comet and Phoenix  don't at first glance look all that different from the rebuilt patriots.......and the biggest difference between  those and the Scots are the cabs . I do say at first glance  ....

Iain  great work with Comet .  I I think I've read. On your thread there is a difference in the size or position of the Windows between the Patriot and Jubillee?

I think the windows are broadly similar but the side sheets are lower.

Iain

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2020 at 09:11, 46256 said:

Whilst working on the LMS locos....namely new frames for my Hornby Scot. This loco had a chassis failure....the keeper plate keeping the gears meshed worked loose, not uncommon in Hornby locos of this era early 2000 s apparently. I botched the chassis up so badly I had to replace with a scratch build...this was when Comet products were unavailable. I've never really been happy as I used the Hornby Scot rods as a guide for the axles positions. I've bitten the bullet and orderd new frames  in addition to a full chassis for a rebuilt Jubillee 45735 comet. I have a mainline body now repainted green awaiting plates. I have also  ordered from fox transfers yellow cab stripes. This will date the loco in the last few months of its life 64 to 65 when based on Gt central at Annesley. In my case just for a bit of variety. Lastly looking at the mainline and a GBL Scot body based on it. The correlation between firebox and cab. When first introduced Larry Goddard Railway modeller 1982! Had an article reducing the cab height to make it less . I was going to swap the cab on the jubillee....on removing it though I don't think the problem is with the cab but with the firebox. It is too slanted at the rear...too shallow. I've compared it to two drawings....Ian Beattie lms locos Bradford Barton..and matches ...however against the Roche drawing that drawing shows the model forebox  ax too shallow.  I know Iain has used a Hornby Scot and Bachmann jubillee to create his example.  I will live with the discrepancy....More importantly my wallet will

Be careful Ian Beatties drawings are occasionally not correct. The Roche drawing is equally  strange.Just wish we had some decent LMS loco drawings..

Be careful with the Comet Frames as these were never designed to fit the Hornby body. Fasten the two frames together and then start cutting them to get them to fit. At least that was the problem I had...

1715060584_HornbyrebuiltScotTheHussar(1280x294).jpg.72d3987dc40d91d98ea39141660ff27c.jpg

Baz

• Like 4

Thanks Baz have done that and now sits better on the chassis. I have soldered two pieces of lead into the rear of the chassis which has countered the nose dive mentioned by Iain. Lastly totally agree with your sentiment concerning accurate LMS drawings 

Great looking Scot by the way

• Thanks 1