Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

• RMweb Gold

Be interesting to see your version of the rebuilt Jubilee, I did one a while ago. But kept the jubilee chassis as I think it looks better due to the wheels having the better looking profile. Look forward to seeing your results. 3rd one in only photo I have at the moment 

31FD8E49-C554-41A7-9E0C-ED5ADEE4BB41.jpeg

• Like 4

I have found out my book the power of the Royal scots by David Jenkinson it shows the Scot in apple green.  I can't say I'm sorry it wasn't adopted by BR.....sorry any LNER enthusiasts...great collection of locos though farren My eye clearly taken in by the apple green Scot just looking at the photo again . British Legion....at the forefront impressive loco.

Edited by 46256

Essential pw work. I always seem to do this when loft like a sauna. A Marcway 54/36 curved left hand point now installed at East junction replacing a peco version. Great workmanship by Marcway. It has visually improved the down lines approach to the footbridge. All wired up and my now vastly improved running Scot sailing over the trackwork. A section of the up lines needed replacing due to my clumsiness with the chisel removing the old ballasted track.

• Like 2

Private W Wood VC loco body arrived today. Front buffer missing left hand side...noticed one or two on eBay with this and the odd Scot. 

I couldnt bring myself to adapt a locomotive named after one of the bravest of the brave. I therefore decided to swap with my Sir Frederick Harrrison. I now know why the damage....too much glue by the front coupling detail remove the chassis damage the buffer beam. I've decided to transfer the nameplate splashers over instead and renumber to 45536. The now nameless loco has had the jubillee cab grafted on . Will photo tomorrow.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 46256 said:

Private W Wood VC loco body arrived today. Front buffer missing left hand side...noticed one or two on eBay with this and the odd Scot. 

This damage appears to occur when they are stored or transported. When supplied new, the locos were seated in the polystyrene inner by two removable metal L-shaped brackets screwed to the underside. Over time these become lost and even if packed out securely, the loco has a tendency to shift forward in the packaging, particularly if subjected to a sudden jolt.

• Informative/Useful 1

A line of LMS 460 express locos on my workbench all in various states of work being done. The easiest renaming and numbering my existing rebuilt patriot to the VC holder completed. I'm in the process of repairing my latest with a new buffer beam. It has had the jubillee cab added as well. The Royal Scot repainted awaiting lining and numbering......it's a bit like Crewe works

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Has anyone measured the Jubilee cabs? I am starting to think the RTR ones are not the right size...

Baz

I've been following this conversation with interest, as I've had a mind for years to make one of the Rebuilt Jubilees, preferably from a Hornby Rebuilt Patriot (easy I hoped!)

Yesterday I took a look at the Comet website. His item LS20 is a Stanier cab etch, just the one, covering all of Black 5, 8F, Jubilee and Rebuilt Patriot. One thing clear from reading above is that these aren't the same, so it looks as if this matter has been on the boil for a long time. The models of Farren and 92220 above look convincing to me, but then I'm something of a novice on matters LMS.

John.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Barry O said:

I wasn't aware of different cab sizes

Nothing is mentinned in the RCTS books but I need to measure my models...

Baz

Check out photos Baz and compare the bottom of a Jubilee Cab in comparison to the tender vs say a Black 5 to the tender. You'll see a clear difference.

• Like 1

Yep

I think the Bachmann new version Jubilee, the Hornby Black 5 and Rebuilt Patriot cabs, all match up closely enough to the drawings I have.
Jub definitely has lower sides

I will measure when I get a chance.

Iain

• Like 2

Hit the buffers.  Literally replacing repairing the damaged buffers both on the patriot and now a new Royal Scot body I seem to gave purchased 46120 Royal Eniskillen Fusileers ...the buffer heads are bigger than the std 16 inch which are advertised as replacements . I have had to turn down two deisel oleo to the required diameter. I used my dremel as a simple lathe.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The works....Crewe...anyway 46120 Royal Inniskilling Fusileer with repaired left hand buffer and smoke deflectors added sitting on the chassis of my previous Scot 

45735 Patriot body, Jubillee cab new buffer beam

46140 repainted now in need of chassis donated to 46120

Lastly coudnt let it go to waste 45536 cab now married to Mainline body set higher against front plate.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Comet taking shape after a lull ....one item that appears to be missing from these second hand bodies are reversing levers. I've just created this one on comet from waste n/s etch...eagle eyed will notice use of. Hornby Royal Scot front wheel set....wrong balance weights will be changed. spacer.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

two  of the same photos keep appearing tried editing...now succeeded in taking another photo with totem added modelmaster darker orange lining

Edited by 46256

16 hours ago, 46256 said:

Comet taking shape after a lull ....one item that appears to be missing from these second hand bodies are reversing levers. I've just created this one on comet from waste n/s etch...eagle eyed will notice use of. Hornby Royal Scot front wheel set....wrong balance weights will be changed. spacer.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Forgive me being thick, but after the changes made am I right in thinking this is;

Comet chassis built by you,

Hornby Rebuilt Patriot body and running plate, except for cab,

Mainline Jubilee cab?

Sorry if I've got this wrong.

John.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello John spot on the only the nameplate splashers from the other Rb patriot transferred and reduced to accept the smaller nameplate  " Comet".. Reversing lever from scrap etch. High level 13/20 motor and Hi Flier gearbox assembled and ready to go in. It will make an interesting comparison with the now fine running Scot with a a Mashima 16/28

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

No matter how many times you trawl the net you can still find gems like theseu.  The G2 included as evidence they did travel further east than the west Jct sidings

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

A high level 13/20 and hi flier gearbox 34/1 ratio fitted to the jubillee chassis ...visible improvement over the mashima combo in the Scot....well recommended. I have put further work on hold.....more PW work. I had installed a single slip giving access from the down fast over the down slow to the goods yard. I really wanted a way for trains to regain the down fast from the down slow. In hindsight a double slip should have been my way of doing this. I didn't want to destroy the ballasted single slip....so fitted a crossover two r/h large radius just vefore it as you travel  from the station and under Park Hall wood. I have also started a tidy up of the wiring and commissioning of my new control panel. Electricals as Rod Stewart described them recently.....unlike him can't afford someone to arrange them....photos of trackwork etc to illustrate shortly

Edited by 46256
  • Agree 1