Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

John thanks for the words of comfort really appreciated , it it all went to plan all of the time where would be the fun....I just want it to go to plan sometimes ! 

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

I have been working away upgrading some of my Mk 1 one coach fleet...just comet sides on mainline donors. I had worked on these years ago, and they just were not not up to my current standard.
On the loco front the dean goods is making slow progress I havnt shown the work here ...a comet chassis high level markits wheels combination . It’s a well trodden path on this thread. one loco I have never really been happy with is my Stanier 3 mt. I had made a plastic version using photos as reference. I have now acquired a Cotswold kit...photo attached...from eBay. The photo is as bought...it will be worked on and I will show the progress here...it has shown up some dimensional discrepancies on my earlier model...a lack of drawings being the main problem. This has now been scrapped. 

3CC44328-6825-4FDF-B70F-87EEF59DB300.jpeg

67967E82-EC44-44AE-95EE-F2615A4E9E70.jpeg

• Like 5

Kitchen car requiring handles the other glazing, really pleased with the overhead projector film used in this way. White plasticcard behind the main windows in kitchen...toilet windows are from a WH Smith plastic document folder. Giving the opaque look

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2021 at 22:28, 46256 said:

I have been working away upgrading some of my Mk 1 one coach fleet...just comet sides on mainline donors. I had worked on these years ago, and they just were not not up to my current standard.
On the loco front the dean goods is making slow progress I havnt shown the work here ...a comet chassis high level markits wheels combination . It’s a well trodden path on this thread. one loco I have never really been happy with is my Stanier 3 mt. I had made a plastic version using photos as reference. I have now acquired a Cotswold kit...photo attached...from eBay. The photo is as bought...it will be worked on and I will show the progress here...it has shown up some dimensional discrepancies on my earlier model...a lack of drawings being the main problem. This has now been scrapped. 

3CC44328-6825-4FDF-B70F-87EEF59DB300.jpeg

67967E82-EC44-44AE-95EE-F2615A4E9E70.jpeg

Have you the drawings from railway modeller?

Thanks as ever  Mark I have ordered some bits from Lanarkshire models which I believe were in response to Mikes kit. In addition from comet  their Fowler 264 t frames and Wakefield lubricators . I have just been sizing up brass to make the outside steam pipes. I have always had difficulty gauging the angle and curvature against the smokebox and correct cut off point on the running plate. One trick I have used is to cut a hole in the running plate, pass the brass through it having made the correct curvature at the end to the smokebox. I then cut the excess brass off underneath the running plate.

Good evening Farren, I have not been able to find a set of drawings for these locos...I don’t know if they were ever covered in the series locos of the LMS in the modeller ...certainly not in the Bradford BArton book I have. The only drawings I’ve seen are by Blandford 69 on the stanier 3p thread on this web. Sadly he posted them after I had completed my earlier model . This model relied on the use of photos...good for details but not great in this case for dimensions. 

Have to report lots of work required to bring this kit up to standard...if I’m honest I would buy the Mike Edge etched version....however I do enjoy trying to bring these elderly kits up to a reasonable standard for example the Gem cauliflower ...half my enjoyment really.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a heavy little critter. The motor and gearbox from the previous incarnation developed a bind. It was an all metal gearbox...closer inspection discovered major wear on brass gears....a brass silt of filings and oil confirmed a poor mesh made worse over time. A replacement gearbox  / motor proved sadly underpowered. Shades of the real loco. High level are temporarily unavailable ..John R kindly offered me one of his stash of gearboxes, as ever John sincere thanks. I ventured onto eBay typed in portescap...and was able to purchase one for a reasonable price. It is now being run in, they are a beautiful piece of machinery. 

• Like 2

My good friend and member of the water orton railway society Don Taggart has just sent me these. The shots of Whitacre Coleshill and Shustoke are all pre 68 ( the year of closure) Water Orton is later but pre 1990 s when the official vandals removed the platform buildings. I love the three car Cravens seen many times when I was a child standing  on Water Orton footbridge

516C8388-A354-4DA6-9AE9-D10240D60B72.jpeg

FE1C1494-7053-43F4-86EF-520EB340B2ED.jpeg

EC7E6B20-838A-4FBE-B2B0-48CEF46AFC01.jpeg

BF59CE5F-1A17-427C-8EF4-0BC87913DA6E.jpeg

45974859-2FB8-4C17-AFFF-D22E2CD76B05.jpeg

10592048-3C77-4CCB-9D85-0FB549615E0A.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6

Body detailing virtually complete just for clean up then painting..

looking closely at the Water Orton station picture...heartbreaking look at the care the staff had..plant pots..doors painted..it won the best station in the Birmingham area award about this time...all to no avail. Just visit Tyseley  to see how it could have been preserved

image.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Some years ago during the availability of donor models courtesy of Great British Locomotives magazine, I decided to convert the V2 model into a Thompson A2/2. I have a Millholme models version with some of the errors corrected. This represents a wedge cab version 60503 Lord President...large portescap one of my best runners. I wanted the shortened cab version choosing 60505 Thane of Fife. The donor V2 body was one of the better offerings from GBL based on the Bachmann body. I had a Bachmann V2 , in addition John R had sent me the Graeme King resin body....since motorised as seen in the thread earlier. If I had known a A2 based again on the Bachmann model I would have waited. In the event razor saw and Dremelmin hand the V2 became A2/2.... I know the A2/1 would have been more appropriate...PDK version in my display cabinet. A2/2  it was my favourite Thompson loco. On completion shown on this thread....and looks at me from my stock shelf as I work. I have never really been happy with the smokebox door...it appears to have a bulbous dome effect. A recent purchase of the Hornby 60501 Cock of the North...confirmed my view that Thanes smokebox jarred. ( Hornby stashed away after checking  ...by my wife as a Xmas present....I know where she hides it and when she is out...) anyway to the point...today razor saw in hand offending smokebox front removed and a spare white metal LNER pacific smokebox door fitted ...eventually in place...paintwork tidied up ...before and after shots included...upper. one current...lower one circa 2015

FAD3D0DF-0B0B-4691-8B45-A5E818EC341C.jpeg

E2F389E2-EC99-4CD4-A9C6-3E0632B26B99.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Just for good measure sublime and ridiculous...dean goods I’m also working on....easily distracted I’m afraid...stanier class 3 painted lined out...just received the Fox transfers numerals so nearly there

image.jpg

• Like 2

I've recently been going through some of my early digital pictures from 2009, as I do Flickr, and came across these two which are relevant in a kind of horrific way to your thread.  The first is on 26th March, and shows the layout at Whitacre, with one  of the now deceased Fastline 66's on a Radcliffe PS to Daw Mill (also gone) working - compare to your picture posted on March 18th above. The second on 29th May is of Tornado passing through Water Orton looking from the footbridge towards the station, it was only pulling one coach so a little misleading.

Not exactly progress, and I'll remove if you wish.

John.

IMG_0198 copyweb3.jpg

IMG_0573 copyweb2.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 3

John thanks for posting these great shot of Tornado, travelled behind it on the SVR at about this time. Whilst  more recent photos highlight the ever changing scene they are so relevant....as you say these views are already as historic as those from the sixties.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst working on 60505 and replacing the smokebox door and my earlier attempt at the smoke deflectors, the slide bars came adrift. I took the opportunity to upgrade the chassis as shown...Hornby. B1 cylinders and motion. The connecting rods shortened and comet V2 motion bracket and motion parts to complete as per photos. 

16EED8C2-F342-41F8-A9B1-75E94B239468.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

And of course you spot the deliberate error....well done Pike I was waiting for someone to notice that...the V2 motion bracket and the link at the end not suitable for the A2/2...in my defence...clearly still to fit reversing rod so will be corrected then

More remedial work to Thane, the new Hornby model 60501 behind for reference. Reversing lever added needing a little tweak..for some reason the running plate under the cab had a definite taper toward the rear of the cab..whole section removed and replaced

3662E7D0-5E98-4DD1-8457-E4D424237984.jpeg

• Like 3