Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Ian ( Staffordshire) has confirmed the basis of his wonderful model is the comet kit. I have now built two of those, one with double chimney, the other single. I fully appreciate the amount of work required to undertake this conversion even with the wonderful comet kits as starting points. The photo has inspired me further to upgrade my version, not least prompted by Karen my wife. I explained that the loco had been made professionally , she replied that's why it dosn't look home made like yours. I explained to Ian that I barely felt the blade she wielded between my ribs until it was too late. It only Spurs me on.....will continue to share some of my home made bits if I may...

• Friendly/supportive 1

There wasn't a single chimney rebuilt Royal Scot though.

4 hours ago, 46256 said:

Ian ( Staffordshire) has confirmed the basis of his wonderful model is the comet kit. I have now built two of those, one with double chimney, the other single. I fully appreciate the amount of work required to undertake this conversion even with the wonderful comet kits as starting points. The photo has inspired me further to upgrade my version, not least prompted by Karen my wife. I explained that the loco had been made professionally , she replied that's why it dosn't look home made like yours. I explained to Ian that I barely felt the blade she wielded between my ribs until it was too late. It only Spurs me on.....will continue to share some of my home made bits if I may...

There wasn't a single chimney rebuilt Scot though.

Hello Brocp just to clarify, the comet kit I refer to is the low footplate Caprotti black five and converting it to the high footplate version. The first time I saw it done was indeed by a professional builder and shown on the then comet models website.The modelling then and now , of the standard shown in Ian's photos is truly inspirational. I know that seeing models such as that over the years has made me seek to improve my own modelling skills. In respect of Karen , as John mentions our wives have to put up with a lot. I know on those days when things go wrong up my loft she does give genuine sympathy along with the occasional well aimed barb. I will mention if I may the Camden loco thread by 92220. He has created this high footplate class five from a similiar source as myself the Hornby body shell 

This model is on his thread ,together with a number of other exceptional locomotives. The lubricator assembly alone is a work of art.

Lastly I do hope I convey as John does on his thread my love of this hobby and provide a sense of enjoyment when viewing mine and others. work and pictures from the ( my) past

• Thanks 1

Two images from Warwickshire archives........the same bit of land ....but a few years apart and from different angles. The first the shops built about 1961....the second the land on which they were built. This view from the Minworth road bridge. Of note is what would have been the station drive leading to the original station building demolished for the new track layout in 1908....

1381-0-885x509.jpg

2699-0-885x645.jpg

• Like 1

Map of the pre 1908 alterations putting into context the previous two pictures. The shops are built on the land where the word station is on map. The station driveway is clearly marked opposite the Methodist chapel. This can be seen in the old photo.. I do love studying old photos and comparing them to present day scenes. Two views of the old pre 1908 station. It was it appears, situated where the running lines are now. The station masters house and the shops Lso occupying the site .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Returning to the theme of the land once occupied by the old station two photos the first a 1950 view showing the location of the station masters house on where the old station...or its forecourt would have been. The photo very rare as pre shops being built. The second the present day scene....depressing ... And the last back to the good old days...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256

Manna dosn't it just....just read my previous script ...shops not shoos...thought I had corrected it...now done

The present day....vegetation...... graffiti ....to cheer us up some photos just found on net....the 8f in particular ....I've stood on the footbridge a number of times and seen such a spectacle one of mr staniers finest pulling any number of wagons

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

On subject of nostalgia the times I've seen a peak clatter over the east junction...would give anything to see again....sadly due to restricted space in loft can't even recreate in 4mm....

• Friendly/supportive 1

Loft like an oven but have fitted the mashima and high level road runner plus to the 8 f chassis. I don't really need another 8 f . The body however is one of my last GBL sourced models which I intend to motorise.  A 28 xx will follow suit. The main reason choosing these two is to see is Hornby wheel sets can be married too comet chassis and high level gearboxes....pleased to say on evidence of 8 f thus far they can

On 23/06/2019 at 18:28, 46256 said:

Manna dosn't it just....just read my previous script ...shops not shoos...thought I had corrected it...now done

The present day....vegetation...... graffiti ....to cheer us up some photos just found on net....the 8f in particular ....I've stood on the footbridge a number of times and seen such a spectacle one of mr staniers finest pulling any number of wagons

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another fine set of evocative pictures.

As well as all the vegetation, I'm sure this wall (on the left) is now covered in graffitti, as observed on my last trip into Brum from Stamford.

No wonder we all hark back to older times, and in many cases have model railways from those eras.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Three more from the net peak and class 40 coming off the fast lines, over east junction and just about to go under the footbridge. I can almost feel them underfoot. The third....mundane ..commonplace ...everyday just the sort of scene I try and model .....class 104 pre 1966 ( yard still operating) picking up passengers about to board for Brum

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

48331 slowly passing under Park Hall wood and the west end of WaterOrton sidings.....GBL body comet chassis Hornby wheels mashima motor high level gear box. My latest coach usual airfix donor comet sides d1654 period one brake first

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't resist this Claughton on  offer in my local model shop....wheels cleaned....front bogie .....adjusted now travelling on layout with my completed period one brake which cost more than this bargain....all brass kit....just going past my 1962 signal box...

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

More work on the Claughton replaced pick ups with my usual copper bronze Spring coil arrangement touching on the tyre rim. This has improved the running qualities . The original builder must take most of the credit with an old open frame motor driving onto a single gear on the driving wheels. I've just been reading up on the claughtons. The loco is totally inappropriate for my layout...like so many of my collection. Most had gone by the thirties including my example...in theory could repaint and renumber her as 6004 the last survivor but will leave well alone. Light spray near chassis to repr sent brake dust very pleased. On a sombre note she was part of a large collection purchased by my local shop hence the very good price.....one day my own collection will ....in any event I hope the then new owners appreciate the models the same way I have this persons.

• Friendly/supportive 2

That Royal Scot, featured a few posts back, looks superb and would certainly grace any layout. Also love the photos of Water Orton as it once was. Seeing the photos of the EE Type 4 and the Peak serves to show that these were 'real locomotives' - those still around are now almost sixty years old - and not the odd and oft times ugly looking things which we see now.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Mike try to include archive material if and when discovered. Sadly Water Orton wasn't as widely photographed as some locations there being notable exceptions of course. I also include any projects which may be of interest...unusual subject or another angle on using alternative source material to complete a model. The 8f being an example of that. I just hope people enjoy the results, it's especially rewarding when fellow modellers ...enthusiasts respond on these pages best wishes Brian