Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

On 24/07/2019 at 07:37, 46256 said:

More work on the Claughton replaced pick ups with my usual copper bronze Spring coil arrangement touching on the tyre rim. This has improved the running qualities . The original builder must take most of the credit with an old open frame motor driving onto a single gear on the driving wheels. I've just been reading up on the claughtons. The loco is totally inappropriate for my layout...like so many of my collection. Most had gone by the thirties including my example...in theory could repaint and renumber her as 6004 the last survivor but will leave well alone. Light spray near chassis to repr sent brake dust very pleased. On a sombre note she was part of a large collection purchased by my local shop hence the very good price.....one day my own collection will ....in any event I hope the then new owners appreciate the models the same way I have this persons.

I think a number of us probably have similar sombre thoughts from time to time.

Good that a local shop did manage to buy the collection and start to sell it on. I think that's half the battle, trying to ensure that one's stuff does go to new owners, rather than end up in a skip.

To cheer us up, a lovely shot of the "Midland Pullman" in the dark!

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John the Pullman shot taken by Mr York....adds a lovely atmosphere...yes I hope my own efforts will be valued by someone....in due course.....not just yet though. 

Just returned from from the annual trip to sunny climes. One of my first places visited on my return the local model shop. In there a lot more of the collection mentioned previously. A number of the locos had been serviced in my absence by the shops resident expert. An unrebuilt Royal Scot wills kit in LMS livery selling at a bargain price. The loco duly purchased. I could sell it online immediately and make a profit, however to honour the modeller who made and painted it will keep as part of my collection. I will add  missing brake gear . I have been running its is afternoon on my layout which I feel is the most appropriate way to appreciate the work of this modeller. I will photo It after my minor modifications.

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

What's  that A3 doing under the wood? I thought they were banned South of Derby.

A very very rare occurance....I spoke with Vic some years ago it took him by Suprise hence the poor quality photo I think it was 1964. In my research back in the nineties I spoke with a local enthusiast who swears he saw an A3 in the yards...German smoke deflectors and all awaiting the right of way..

Vic did take two better photos of 46256 crossing over from the down Bham lines towards Sutton park and bescot on the diverted Camden to Crewe parcels.  I have a number of photos in my collection and I'm experimenting re photographing them into this I pad for inclusion on this site. The photos were sent to me by some esteemed photographers like Mr Mensing. 

• RMweb Gold

If 1964 they could have been cleared as Mr P. used the Flying Moneypit to get to Cardiff via Saltley to pick up some gong for services to tourism in 1963

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Auto speller interfering again. I know what word i want to use. The machine thinks it knows better.

More photos from my collection the Castle Bromwich prints bought at Kidderminster rail photo fair some years ago. They have the feel of official photos possibly taken to record the British Industries Fair held on the old aero drome alongside now Castle Vale estateimage.jpeg.dabbf401646abe48f21287b8581bdee5.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In Tennants  Halesowen yesterday my local model shop. A plastic bag labelled "kit in bits" caught my eye. I examined it and found a ks midland 2f , indeed in bits.  The 2 f now being worked on. I already have a kirtley outside frame, another ks round boiler 2f no 58236. In addition my GBL jinty carve up representing a belpaire firebox  deeley  cab version.  I've opted for a  belpaire firebox Johnson cab  as shown in my copy of last steam locos on BR. It will be numbered 58238. The round top firebox removed....belpaire one retrieved from the carcass of a GBL compound bits used in a previous conversion. The firebox now in place after much filing ..fiddling etc. The salter valves removed from dome....valves from compound to be added. The ks midland Tender was included in the bag of bits iI have the brake rods left over from the comet jinty  chassis used on the kirtley More as it progresses. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

Working on the 2f yesterday.....had the ks motor fitted,  wheels turning nicely with connecting rods. The chassis being on my test bench with leads direct to the controller. Time to fit pick ups. I am using the thick brass ks chassis frames, all nice and square. The screw heads on spacers filed flat and brake rods added than the brakes themselves . I was modelling 58238 wth outside brake rods...Thick brass on a chassis has a number of plus points...weight being one of them. On the minus side the ability of thick brass to dissipate heat from a soldering iron. I was using my usual method of gapped copper board soldered to the frames....really took some doing. In the end successfull. The phos bronze pick ups were then added coiled into a spring as recommended by the late Guy Williams. All to the good.....then ....what's that fluff by the fibre centre gear wheel.....Sadly not stringy fluff but the remains or two of the fibre gear teeth...caught by my soldering iron. Only two teeth but enough to turn a sweet running loco into a dud. More was to follow having patiently added the brakes and outside brake rodding, I rechecked my reference work  last steam locos of br....58238 with the belpaire boiler and Johnson cab had the outside rods...but also had 4 ft 11 wheels. My model is fitted with 21 mm 5 ft 3 inch...fortunately a picture of that variant 58302 ...still with Johnson cab and belpaire in book....but no outside rods. Rods removed....markit gears ordered ...photo now added

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

More work on the 2f . I have replaced the original ks gear and motor combo with this . It's the highflier gearbox purchased from the ever youthful Chris at High Level. It is partnered by a new coreless motor he is selling. What a lovely motor highly recommended ( Chris does advise not using with feedback controllers which I gather is the norm for coreless. No matter the only feedback I get is from my wife....)  I highly recommend this motor and gearbox ...usual disclaimer. The 2 f body in grey primer to highlight any imperfections....the dome has been rounded down with sandpaper firebox bedded in, needs handrails adding on the other side...what a chore.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

58302 now painted numbered awaiting crew. The loco is as shown in my book last steam locomotives of British Railways. The photo in the book, looks to be outside Derby shed with the new BR numbers but still with LMS on tender.

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

That's a really nice loco, and a splendid rescue act on the box of bits. I regret some of the things I got rid of when I couldn't get them to work, As you have shown, it is perfectly possible to breathe life into them, even years later. Well done, Brian

• Thanks 1

Thanks John it does help with the availability at the moment of quality products.such as the high level gearboxes. My real admiration though is for those kit builders in the sixties ( and earlier that produced superb models from quite rudimentary kits.

Just a postscript to the Heljan Garratt saga. I have never really been happy with the mashima motors I fitted In the replacement comet chassis.I  have had  it pulling trains if many wagons, but even light loco just running it for a few minutes makes the motor too hot to touch. I'm sure this is not good in the long run either for motor or loco. I accept this overheating could be a result of my chassis build. In any event being truly impressed with the 1219 motor supplied by high level have fitted two to the existing gear trains. The only adaptation required a new worm with smaller bore. I'm really pleased....might not last as I have to explain to my wife why I've had to take out a second mortgage to complete the loco. Photo of one of the chassis with motor fitted. same hauling ability no over heating

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just to point out the reference to a second mortgage is the cost overall of this Garratt project....to recap Heljan Garratt remotored with small mashimas....wheels working loose...two comet chassis markits wheels new gearboxes with the bigger mashima. 1420...now the 1219... Which just to qualify are well worth the money.....but overall....I must be mad!     No comments on that score please.....not least because if the new revamped Heljan model has cured the faults of the initial run I will probably add it to my roster....This time I will wait and see the feedback first.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

More photos from the net, in particular thrilled to see the western, clearly in BR days albeit on a special....justifies my running my two.... The met cam...everyday ordinary....dad worked in their bus factory in Washwood Heath.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

The Heljan spiel for the forthcoming Garratt re-release does claim it to have a redesigned chassis.

The earlier versions seem to be very hit and miss. I put my own experience on the thread in the Heljan section, and won't repeat it here. However at upwards of £200 there shouldn't be any hit or miss at all....!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Agree 1

Good Morning John, indeed the initial price of £199 appeared expensive but it is a beautiful model of this loco. I cant help feeling for an extra relatively small amount that better motors for example could have been fitted.

In any event my 1219 motored twin comet chassis model is now performing how I hoped it would when I embarked on this conversion...adaptation. I had 65 wagons happily being pulled behind it at the weekend....no fuss no overheated motors.

In respect of Westerns through my home village, I shared the above photo with my rail enthusiast friends. One replied that he had seen his first western whilst standing on the footbridge at Water Orton, Xmas eve 1965 or 66. The loco was light engine and used the crossover on the Fast (Derby) lines , itself a rare occurrence, the crossover on the slow usually preferred, before returning back towards Birmingham.

I cant imagine it had bought a freight into the yards then used the crossovers past the station, the usual practice, more likely a crew familiarisation journey? I know in the seventies Saltley crew travelled down to Water Orton and back light engine on such exercises...one of my friends had the privilege of joining one such journey. 

Looking more closely at  the Western Photo, trying to read the headboard, thereby establishing the identity of the special. I am  unable to do so but did discover what appears to be a Gresley buffet in the train formation.

Best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Thanks 1

My friend Don Taggart another member of the Water Orton Railway Society has just informed me the Western is 1052 Western viceroy on the Western Sunset railtour 29 th March 1975 Plymouth to Derby and back ....all info courtesy of the Six Bells web site

• 2 weeks later...

Having now a double motored Garratt running smoothly I am now turning my attention  to its classmate. This loco has featured a number of times on this thread and in the article published on this layout in BRM April 2014. The loco was a Kitmaster kit. It was bought as with so many other of the loco roster from my local model shop Tennents of Halesowen. It was the early eighties and the assemblied loco was second hand. In my childhood I had befriended the owner of the toy shop (Water Orton) in what was then the new block of shops built by the station. His shop had a small stock of kitmaster kits, in fact dad bought the Stirling single from there. This was my first accurate steam loco model built and painted by my late father. Some years later kitmaster had sadly disappeared...the owner however had one left out of sight in the storeroom....the Garratt. He showed the nine year old version of myself that kit only  to announce he would never sell it! Fast forward to the eighties on seeing that model for the first time since...it was bought on the spot. I also had a ks version.....both locos were treated to comet fowler 264 t chassis and four portescap motors two in each. The ks loco was sold when I learned the Heljan was being produced. The kitmaster had been adapted by me to represent the straight bunker loco 47998, the tender created in plasticard. I did remove one of the portescap motors from the front chassis as the single rear one propelled the loco extremely well. That is where the story lay....the kitmaster subsequently out performing the new Heljan upstart. Time as ever moves on. The recent re motoring of the Heljan has really impressed me. It is apparent when running the kitmaster that one of the chassis....albeit free running is without power. To remedy this I have just bought a high level kits road runner plus 34/1 ratio and 1219 motor. I am aware I have written about fitting these combos....I will if I may go through the sequence and record with photos.

Edited by 46256

Bits and pieces out of bag...first job locate the little grubs crew into the final axle gear.second photo axle bearings located into the cradle five sided broach great bit of kit. Last but not least worm fitted first gear fitteD and test run always a good moment.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Coincidentally I was fitting one of these gearboxes into a DJH A2 at the weekend, a project that has maundered on for ages, but having now done the painting it is nearing the end.

They do go together well, but beware the little grub screw. I dropped mine on the floor a couple of times but managed to find it with a magnet. If you have a magnet handy touch the end of your screwdriver with it for a few seconds, then pick up the grub screw to fit into the gear. The magnetism should hold it on your screwdriver whilst you screw it into the gearwheel. Beats padding about on your hands and knees!

John.

• Thanks 1