Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

More work on Garratt,  cylinders adapted to suit this loco...slidebars rods and crossheads fitted. Chassis running well just four sets of the remaining motion to fit....and couplings cab glazing ....plus looking at old photos...deja vu?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

More Saltley .....sadly never visited in steam days however those diesel pictures capture my memories well ....not sure about the class 25 s with what  appears to be a met cam dmu behind ...has a tyseley picture crept in? Or another location ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Nice engine Manna funnily enough I've never built an 044t (chassis) albeit I once owned a beautiful stanier version., built by an unknown craftsman, since sold. It didn't fit my chosen period....and  I needed funds for more appropriate locos.  Best wishes Brian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 46256 said:

Nice engine Manna funnily enough I've never built an 044t (chassis) albeit I once owned a beautiful stanier version., built by an unknown craftsman, since sold. It didn't fit my chosen period....and  I needed funds for more appropriate locos.  Best wishes Brian

I agree-a lovely model. Coincidentally, I was renumbering and trying to tart up my ancient NuCast G5. at the same time, I decided to have another go at balancing the front end, now I have a supply of lead flashing, stuck a bit more in the front and added a piece between the frames over the front drivers, Success ! I intended to put a photo on the layout thread, but the battery on my phone was flat.

John

• Like 2

Hello John it was that balancing act I had in mind when replying to Manna. You can't beat a bit of lead flashing for adding weight. I have a sheet by the workbench left over from my house extension some 14 years ago.....it will see me  out !

• Like 1

Manna that must have been quite a conversion, I have to say and I think John will agree i get the most fun from conversions such as this....the favourite of my work  has to be the 15 xx tank.... I loved the GBL magazine and ts ready supply of source material

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last leg of Gem cauliflower build. Geo Norton chassis markit wheels high level motor gearbox. Outside brake rods and brakes to be added , rear small tension lock couplings to tender transfers coal and crew...I can't tell from the photos I have whether this loco 58365 had a crest on its tender....in north western tradition these locos may not have been given them when they entered Bitish Railways Service , and the last years of their lives.......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Lovely little loco. Well done, Brian.

The only picture I have shows it at Crewe Works paintshop in 1952. Surely by then , they would have fitted the early crest transfer.

This is the link - it may be the same photo as the one you have, of course.

58326 - Webb LNWR 'Coal Engine' Class 2F 0-6-0 - built 1873 by Crewe Works as LNWR No.986 - 06/17 to LNWR Duplicate List as No.3443, 09/27 to LMS No.8106, 12/38 to LMS No.28106, 11/48 to BR No.58326 - 05/53 withdrawn from Crewe Works - seen here at Crewe Works Paintshop, 6/52.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 4

Thanks John I'm sure I have more reference photos not least  in my set LMS journals. The problem of course going through and finding them. The photos I've been relying on are in the volume of the last British railway steam locomotives. This old book is a excellent reference not least showing the variations to this and other long lived classes. The problem as with your photo, the sunlight is reflecting  off the tender sides making any crest indistinguishable. This book states that class members lasted til 55. I have a reprinted Ian Allan 1955 combine and shed book ...sadly 58365 is not listed. Of note though from your picture and my loco ..58365 does not have the Crewe type wheels. I will show my reference photo taken by the look of it just after nationalisation. Unlike the ex midland locos it does not seem to have LMS on the tender and the new numbers. In any event I've decided to add the little lion on dartboard crest.....I'm stretching credibility to the limit by running it on my layout as it is. 

Edited by 46256

Just noticed on your photo which is of the earlier Webb goods  loco the running plate on 58326 does not have the raised areas corresponding to the splashers unlike the cauliflower....variations on a theme..

I have just gone up into loft and photographed the page I'm working off. It's from the book Steam Locomotives of British Railways by HC Casserley....he lower photo showing the class with a a Belpaire boiler. The book is how's numbers 58320 to 58361 as Webb coal engines photo of page....58362 to 58430 as Webb 060 "cauliflower"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks John went to Rhyl when I was three , my one and only journey behind a BR steam loco. Mum was a carer for our elderly next door neighbour. A day trip was organised and we boarded at Water Orton.....where else... I can remember quite a crowd on the platform....a train approached and we all moved forward only to move back quickly as a non stop express sailed through. Our train then arrived and I recall playing with a toy bus on a table in the carriage. I remember stopping, and a loco going past the window in reverse....apparently we had changed engines . On getting to Rhyl I recall looking towards the sea which seemed a long way from the platform....my good friend Eddie Ravenhall , a bit older than me was on the train . I got to know him later ....sadly he didn't note the train engine numbers....apparently though we were stationary alongside City of Bristol in Crewe for a while.......I couldn't remember so have never counted it as a cop.....and my wife wonders why I just sit in my loft sometimes just looking at the station.

• Like 3

58365 added to the roster.....decided not to add any crest to the tender....transfers on gloss black then Matt varnish light dusting  of humbrol DK earth  bit more around the chassis. It needs a crew and coal. My next project will be a little different

image.jpeg

• Like 3

The signal gantry over the exit from the station goods yard by the West junction. This is a Gibson kit which as built I made two errors. Firstly as built it was too wide for the Water Orton example....secondly I used these later photos by M A King circa 1969 as reference. It wasn't until I saw an earlier photo by DJ Norton of the main one opposite which controlled the yards.....this gantry was in the background....that I realised I had missed off a number of arms.....clearly removed on the closure of the goods yard in 1966.  This will like all the signals, be operational 

image.jpeg

Edited by 46256

The DJ norton photo which revealed the Station goods gantry . This photo was sent to me by Mark Norton during correspondence. I never thought that this gantry would have been photographed.......when it started to print I was quite emotional. It has since been printed in the books of his fathers work recording a number of unlikely places in the West Midlands. I am very grateful to both father and son

image.jpeg

• Like 2