Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Eric ( signal engineer) sent me two of his hand drawn diagrams from his time of employment by the railway. Both documents are works of art. The one is of the interlocking apparatus at Water Orton sidings signal box. The other the departure lines from the sidings themselves. I thought it appropriate to display it above its model location ...the UTMDA bagnall and a long time sidings shunter 43284 complete the scene. The b16 now has all its shiny bits...just reversing rods ...washout plugs...to add....then work on the tender.

F4FCC8A4-8286-481C-849F-0D5238161233.jpeg

4F0EFBD6-87FD-4E3B-A2A9-28BF957B7CC7.jpeg

292CC1A3-E1CC-409D-9CC7-6C5C5A22B757.jpeg

12561632-94CA-4877-AE45-B82461374170.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

comet d 49 motion etc arrived just now, will construct and the work out how to add to the Hornby chassis. In respect of tender the ex NER had distinctive coal rails with plate behind them I created one side last night by soldering brass rod to thin brass plate. The isinglass drawing and John’s Yeadons definitely helped. The other side yet to do. I then intend to remove the current flare on the d11 tender, extend the sides slightly...drawing again assisting and add my new rails to the creation. The rear plate of the tender will be removed with its GC accoutrements. Will show in due course

Washout plugs courtesy of markits together with hand fettled reversing rod added and whole body painted gloss black awaiting transfers. The NE coal rails fettled out of brass and now stuck to top of tender. The sides need extending slightly and back plate altering, then onto motion and frame extensions etc on chassis

835E4F80-79C3-4B97-9455-54F1ECDADB29.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cold working in the loft ....anyway transfers added to the loco and tender. I was going to number it 61434 after a photo in my Eastern Steam book, of that loco. I ran out of 4 s ...no problem just move it one along... it was 61435 ...varnished looking good. A little nagging voice ...just check the yeadons....35 was a b16/2.....5 numeral removed and a number 9 substituted. 61439 now looks the part awaiting both tender and loco chassis. I am finding the detailing of the basic Hornby B 12 chassis to be rewarding. sandboxes under cab, and to be added between front drivers and cylinders. These are in place as is motion bracket...more soon

• Like 3

B 16 showing the considerable work to the basic Hornby b 12 chassis..brake gear sandboxes and pipes added together with comet cylinders etc..just the motion bracket and tender chassis , and distinctive driving wheel balance weights to complete. I had noticed on previous photo slight tilt to cab and poor transfer numerals since corrected

6DCDAEBB-FA5E-4B89-BFCA-CB44A2F05423.jpeg

12EC5916-63D7-4570-80DC-3392208578E4.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6

An attempt to fit the motion yesterday...oh dear..no go....then I checked with the isinglass drawings the eccentric rod as supplied with the d49 is some two mil too short...the expansion link is a fraction under size. I am fortunate to have bits of motion in spares. The rods and links are from a princess etch...the rods shortened slightly...as you can see one side fitted , and has just been working as I hoped the other side to do.

218AD038-CE3D-47F3-96CF-1C468A135B02.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Motion fitted and working , a tender chassis to replace the GBL one it’s been resting on...then coupling s last details  such as balance weights and another addition to the fleet

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The various pleasures of a modeller scratch building, kit building , creating something like the B16 from unlikely source material. I still get a thrill from the latest RTR especially when it’s as beautifully made as the latest Bachmann midland 1P tank.

A birthday present. I can only justify it, if it went through on works visits to Derby...no matter it’s stunning. It’s running capabilities aren’t bad either three coaches. although a fourth caused it problems on my inclined exit curve from the fiddle yard. Bachmann include a set of traction tyres drivers if you want to increase the adhesion. In my case three coaches are plenty. I’m sure you will have seen photos or videos  I will add one later.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 46256 said:

A birthday present. I can only justify it, if it went through on works visits to Derby...

You may have to backdate a bit. There were various classes of 1P 0-4-4 tanks at Saltley and Pleck in Midland days and probably still around to the start of BR.

Good morning Eric the Midland version is beautiful ...mine is the almost as stunning BR black livery with early crest...a SDJR loco ...the red grey cream lining out is outstanding especially around the wheel splashers....would midland locos based at far flung outposts still return to Derby for overhaul?  I have seen a photo of a SDJR based 2 p travelling through Castle Bromwich back to its home turf after one such works visit.

Modern RTR is in a different class to the stuff you cut and shut to get the B16/3, but both are great additions to your fleet, Brian. Looking forward to seeing how the narrow-gauge addition to the layout.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 46256 said:

would midland locos based at far flung outposts still return to Derby for overhaul?  I have seen a photo of a SDJR based 2 p travelling through Castle Bromwich back to its home turf after one such works visit.

Ex-LMS locos from Barrow Road, Bath Green Park and Templecombe along with other ex-Midland sheds transferred to the WR went to Derby. The other 'foreign' ex-MR sheds to send locos to Derby were those on the Eastern and North Eastern including the LT&S line tank locos. Some of the latter migrated to the Midlands when the Stanier tanks replaced them. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2021 at 17:11, TheSignalEngineer said:

Ex-LMS locos from Barrow Road, Bath Green Park and Templecombe along with other ex-Midland sheds transferred to the WR went to Derby. The other 'foreign' ex-MR sheds to send locos to Derby were those on the Eastern and North Eastern including the LT&S line tank locos. Some of the latter migrated to the Midlands when the Stanier tanks replaced them. 

Some of the LMS built LT&S tanks were based in Dundee of all places, although I am yet to see a photo of one in the area.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just for a bit of humour and to destroy any credibility as a modeller I have left.

I have been working on a dean goods chassis replacing an old mainline tender version....memories of the inevitable GW branch layout from the sixties Railway Modeller and their Ks dean goods. I was fitting the gear and motor in.Wires added then test under power....only to find I had put it in from the bottom not top of chassis.  This was bad enough only for another episode confirming my dwindling capacity. I have used Comet mk 1 coach sides on a number of conversions. I have spent recent days upgrading a number . I always liked the way comet modelled the middle grille in the centre of the toilet windows. A feature not often seen. I was working yesterday on my upgrade of a kitchen car M80010... a premier vehicle. I had Dave Parkins book on the M k 1 s open . Glazing overhead projector film 120 micron thick really effective on brass sides. It then hit me...the grilles weren’t for the centre of the window but to be detached and added to the upper openings to add relief.  No fool like an old fool...all coaches now to be modified 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Just for a bit of humour and to destroy any credibility as a modeller I have left.

I have been working on a dean goods chassis replacing an old mainline tender version....memories of the inevitable GW branch layout from the sixties Railway Modeller and their Ks dean goods. I was fitting the gear and motor in.Wires added then test under power....only to find I had put it in from the bottom not top of chassis.  This was bad enough only for another episode confirming my dwindling capacity. I have used Comet mk 1 coach sides on a number of conversions. I have spent recent days upgrading a number . I always liked the way comet modelled the middle grille in the centre of the toilet windows. A feature not often seen. I was working yesterday on my upgrade of a kitchen car M80010... a premier vehicle. I had Dave Parkins book on the M k 1 s open . Glazing overhead projector film 120 micron thick really effective on brass sides. It then hit me...the grilles weren’t for the centre of the window but to be detached and added to the upper openings to add relief.  No fool like an old fool...all coaches now to be modified 

You really aren't alone.

Increasingly I find I've made daft errors, not because I wasn't capable but simply because I'd forgotten something and ploughed ahead regardless. Very annoying.

At least our hobby is keeping us mentally active and so slowing the rate of decline. The same can't sadly be said of many folk with no interests who watch telly all day.

Onwards and upwards!

John.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1