Tarmac awards rail freight contracts

Tarmac has awarded five-year contracts to four rail freight operators as it seeks to increase the volume of aggregate and other materials it moves by rail.

Under the new contracts, Colas Rail will operate cement trains from Oxwellmains cement works. GB Railfreight will operate aggregate trains from Swinden, Thrislington and Dry Rigg. Freightliner has been awarded a contract for aggregates operations from Tunstead. DB Schenker will operate trains from Mountsorrel quarry and trains from terminals at Moreton-on-Lugg, Whatley, Telford, Port Talbot, and in the London area.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/freight/tarmac-awards-british-rail-freight-contracts.html

• 4 weeks later...

Telford?

Does Tarmac have a terminal in Telford?

I can't even think they have a quarry around here.

Might they mean inwards?

There's going to be a lot of building around the town in the next 5 years.

I suspect it's a loading terminal to deal with stone brought in from quarries, such as Clee Hill, that don't have rail access any more. I don't think they have their own quarries in Port Talbot or Moreton on Lugg, and Whatley isn't one of theirs, is it?

The Tarmac trains from Whatley serve Tarmac terminals such as St Pancras, Hotfield, Hayes etc. Tarmac are a customer of Hanson in this respect. These trains are normally resourced using DBS owned wagons and locos rather than Mendip.

Port Talbot used to load slag for the building trade, I think for the Olympics if my memory serves correctly. I wonder if this is starting up again?

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Tarmac has awarded five-year contracts to four rail freight operators as it seeks to increase the volume of aggregate and other materials it moves by rail.Under the new contracts, Colas Rail will operate cement trains from Oxwellmains cement works. GB Railfreight will operate aggregate trains from Swinden, Thrislington and Dry Rigg. Freightliner has been awarded a contract for aggregates operations from Tunstead. DB Schenker will operate trains from Mountsorrel quarry and trains from terminals at Moreton-on-Lugg, Whatley, Telford, Port Talbot, and in the London area.http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/freight/tarmac-awards-british-rail-freight-contracts.html

They seem to have shared the work out quite well.

Has anyone been left out?

I suspect it's a loading terminal to deal with stone brought in from quarries, such as Clee Hill, that don't have rail access any more. I don't think they have their own quarries in Port Talbot or Moreton on Lugg, and Whatley isn't one of theirs, is it?

Moreton on Lugg is the rail loading point for the Tarmac Quarries just to the west of Kington at Strinds & Dolyhir, close to Old Radnor. There are gravel quarries at Moreton on Lugg but none of it goes out by rail. It is all destined for local use.

Paul J.

Archived