19 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Since you have a nice model of "Elf", are you going to search out a prototype called "Safety" to go with it? ;)

Or "National" and "service"? 

Jim

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Since you have a nice model of "Elf", are you going to search out a prototype called "Safety" to go with it? ;)

Just now, Caley Jim said:

It would only work if going downhill, though, and "pulling" box van loads of cash, but without any brakes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Regularity said:

10 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Jim

Oh dear God

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2021 at 21:22, Northroader said:

I did a write up on the construction of this loco. in the GOG Gazette for November 2011, so here’s a warmed up version, and somewhat shorter. Benefiting from what I had learnt in building the 2-4-0, namely the need to make sure the carrying wheels weren’t taking useful adhesive weight from the drivers, I looked at doing the same here. If I allowed both sets of carrying wheels to deflect, the loco would just seesaw around the driving axle until one side or the other hit the stop. The frame was made with fixed bushes for the leading axle and the driver, and the trailing axle was allowed to deflect. Then the loco was ballasted until the centre of gravity was acting just in front of the driving wheels.

FC961F7D-2DCE-436F-8261-D3FB40E00C1B.jpeg.05700ac930e6ccfeca31f11004cf24d3.jpegPickups were used on the two fixed axles, and the trailing axle had a springy brass strip bearing on it. There were quite hefty brass blocks between the frames, and lead strip in the smokebox and saddle tank, all in all it weighed nearly 2 lb., (890 grams)

15189CB8-061F-4B72-8E97-273F778A09C4.jpeg.522d0f34ef1b8aa0a87fa197bc878d30.jpeg

One point in making it is that I required 5’ single driver wheels, I.e. with a plain circular boss, which Slater don’t make, so I adapted a coupled wheelset by filing the boss extension round the crankpin  off, using some fine needle files and a hacksaw blade. You need a light touch, as the spokes are a reduced cross section around the clearance recess for the crankpin screw head.

i was particularly concerned with the haulage power, would there be sufficient traction? how much weight transfer would happen? (how the drawbar pull affects the weight on the drivers), so I rigged up a test incline of 1 in 30 from a cassette and some wedges. Chimney first, it could just do seven wagons with a slight wheelslip stutter. Bunker first, it was happier with six, so you could say you were getting around a 15% difference in weight transfer from a floating trailing axle to a floating leading axle. Behind the wagons, used as a banker, it could manage eight wagons, as it was pushing rather than pulling. This was ample for a layout on the flat like Washbourne, I could probably get away with a bit less weight.

In the one photo of the finished job, I’ve placed the loco symmetrically on a piece of smooth ply to show how I work out the centre of gravity by moving across a roller until it just balances. Two detail points, the rear number was painted on the bufferbeam, not brass figures, and I’m fairly sure the safety valves were mounted in the top of what at first looks like a plain dome. Anyway, there you are, I feel every layout needs more “Fairies” and “Elves” running on them.BB339681-0F56-441A-A39C-170C576D9378.jpeg.98879974920cbab70eeb70a74d4c7e4b.jpegACCD40FF-5762-4E03-91BD-6D07863F5689.jpeg.5957a9f65cfc29efdb6b9a46e5c4deaa.jpeg

I learnt more from that one post than all day at work yesterday. Very useful, thanks.

I's a very appropriately named engine!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mikkel, I’ve got this vision of you going to work surrounded by gorgeous Danish blonde women, and having a canteen serving a superb smorrebrod lunch, and I don’t think I’d learn much either. No, actually that loco is surrounded by imponderables. I’ve got a small loco capable of pulling a useful train, but what if I put it tailchasing on a big oval? Minimal lubrication, would the bearings stand up to it? Then the wheels slipping help the motor to avoid being overloaded, but I’ve increased weight to stop the wheels slipping, so what’s that doing to the motor? Just pottering on a small BLT to fiddle yard is much the best duty for it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Mikkel, I’ve got this vision of you going to work surrounded by gorgeous Danish blonde women, and having a canteen serving a superb smorrebrod lunch, and I don’t think I’d learn much either. No, actually that loco is surrounded by imponderables. I’ve got a small loco capable of pulling a useful train, but what if I put it tailchasing on a big oval? Minimal lubrication, would the bearings stand up to it? Then the wheels slipping help the motor to avoid being overloaded, but I’ve increased weight to stop the wheels slipping, so what’s that doing to the motor? Just pottering on a small BLT to fiddle yard is much the best duty for it.

There's no reason we should know or need to know about the other aspects of Mikkel's lifestyle you mention but I do think we do know that a big tailchasing oval doesn't come into it.

• Funny 6

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

I got as far as "surrounded by gorgeous Danish blonde women" then I had to go and make a calming cup of tea.

(I think I'm at a difficult age)

b17f4c03dbd8ac4fae13c97aa04d3313.png.e2b7a754dc20832fbafea03e9633779c.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Annie said:

Nice sword, shield and boots, but I wouldn't trust that mail shirt to protect me in a fight.

Hmm, you're right, and I begin to suspect that this sort of thing is not always done with due regard for the risks of injury on the battlefield. 

s-l300.jpg.507c982e11310d03078f683e63d07b7c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Hmm, you're right, and I begin to suspect that this sort of thing is not always done with due regard for the risks of injury on the battlefield. 

s-l300.jpg.507c982e11310d03078f683e63d07b7c.jpg

Magic female fantasy armour.  The more uncovered you are the higher the level of protection.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Annie said:

Magic female fantasy armour.  The more uncovered you are the higher the level of protection.

Yes, I keep trying to steer Miss T away from the Xena look; her characters are serious young women who should be allowed to roam their fantasy kingdom dealing death to villains without getting objectified along the way. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was doing the re-enactment thing it was light armour styles that interested me most.  I've still got an unfinished Persian style helmet around the place that I fall over sometimes and curse at.  I never did master chain mail and it was the various types of laced armour based on small metal plates that interested me more.  So much easier to do especially if you own a drill press.

I just noticed this while searching about for decent armor types for young ladies and lingered awhile, but if I started dressing like this my children would have me certified.

6Hn22Y1.jpg

This is much better.  (Sorry Mr Northroader for hi-jacking your thread.)

S117WOg.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Annie said:

... I just noticed this while searching about for decent armor types for young ladies and lingered awhile, but if I started dressing like this my children would have me certified. ...

6Hn22Y1.jpg

Well, at least it seems Covid-compliant!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Northroader said:

I’ve got this vision of you going to work surrounded by gorgeous Danish blonde women, and having a canteen serving a superb smorrebrod lunch

That would be nice. But the smørrebrød gives me gas and the blondes are usually fake :)

Found this in another thread, nice to see a group photo. A shoal of elves.

On 18/04/2018 at 22:35, Northroader said:

I agree, brigadier, there’s plenty to be getting on with:post-26540-0-97659200-1524083717_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

That would be nice. But the smørrebrød gives me gas and the blondes are usually fake :)

Oh dear, another fantasy punctured. Still, it’s nice have some surreality on this thread, and armour plated blondes is as good as it gets. In the here and now, this second hand book came through the post this afternoon:

0FDEBF88-E7F3-430E-802D-0C182C08D326.jpeg.48325d377e0d7ea55d977a7ddc65f50a.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I got as far as "surrounded by gorgeous Danish blonde women" then I had to go and make a calming cup of tea.

(I think I'm at a difficult age)

b17f4c03dbd8ac4fae13c97aa04d3313.png.e2b7a754dc20832fbafea03e9633779c.png

It’s ok: the actress is actually Canadian.

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

It’s ok: the actress is actually Canadian.

I have no idea who she is or why she's dressed like that, then.

Obviously, if she was Danish, I'd assume it was just typically 'day wear'.

I feel I might have been cruelly mislead.

Anyhow, wasn't there a topic somewhere hereabouts?

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!

• RMweb Premium

Er..topic??

846C4B01-B633-47CF-A16D-DD87A00C9BE0.jpeg.ffc4697f0847eadd59f9701bb775e680.jpeg

I know, here’s two Fairbairn tank engines, one from the Waterford and Tramore, still running in the 1920s, and one for Sam, on the Little North Western.FB74E3E0-FC66-4268-AD2E-F106CD52BBF7.jpeg.33fe442fa34aee207d0b607a5cc37ec1.jpeg517A8D49-D869-48EC-9C5D-99AE2CF93B64.jpeg.5f2e1daf5b011ee5fa8d60717e40b951.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

I'm being very good and not being drawn by mentions of Mr Bowles et al.

You should take a look at "Locomotives of the Great Southern and Western Railway," by Jeremy Clements, Michael McMahon and Alan O'Rourke (mentioned above as editor of New Irish Lines.)

It's a treasure trove of old photos and drawings, and information on pre-1925 locos, including Sprite which should be right up your street.

IMG_7463.jpg.005c5622c35462319ea16aa53afc39ba.jpg

It's available directly from the publisher, collon999pub999lishing@g999mail.com or from the usual vendor of all things:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/LOCOMOTIVES-GREAT-SOUTHERN-WESTERN-RAILWAY/dp/1527270289/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_1285150262?_encoding=UTF8&hvadid=500909826360&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvpone=&hvpos=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvrand=738623316661319436&hvtargid=pla-1323460316075&ie=UTF8&linkCode=df0&psc=1&tag=googshopuk-21

(You can omit the 9s, just trying to avoid them getting spammed.)

By way of example (and hopefully too bendy to enable anyone to model them without buying the book), here's Sprite, as well as an early loco-carriage:

IMG_7464.jpg.12712ee7f8965382db305897515599dc.jpgIMG_7465.jpg.53d0c0c59dc3c6dad2d77a0ceaeaf1af.jpg

There's lots more, like 2-4-0s inherited from the Cork and Youghal Railway, and all sorts of 0-4-2 classes I had never heard of.

Alan

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Off topic,   well the topic itself has gone off on a jaunt. Not sure of the prefered route to Eire from Eastbourne  probably up to London first then either on to the LNWR for Holyhead or the GWR to Fishguard. Not complaing mind you I know little of the Irish railways and it has been enlightening.

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for thinking of me, Alan, but I’ve got it already. There was some write up on RMweb which mentioned it, and I got it a month or two ago, I try to avoid amazon if I can (say prime and your favourite swear word) so I went straight to the little publishers establishment, which seems the sort of place to go to. Fully agree with your comments, considering the GSWR was the biggest of the old Irish companies, there’s been far too little done on it. (I’ve got Murray & McNeill) It would have been nice to have had a few years before I did some of my recent models, but there you go. So yes, I agree it’s fully recommended. Worth noting that the WLWR gets a full write up, you can appreciate why Castle Rackrent got placed on that line. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I try to avoid amazon if I can (say prime and your favourite swear word) so I went straight to the little publishers establishment,

I completely refuse to buy anything through Amazon even if it means extra work to find the original source of a book.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1