• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Don. It is progressing in parallel,  you might have spotted there’s a lot of jobs lying around, and I must admit I’ve been rather lethargic this last month, but am getting a bit more active. I hope to come back with something in a while, even if not that bit. Nice to have some interest in it.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 13:37, Donw said:

Having read the quote from Masefield Ihave had the lines running in my head since then until this morning when my neighbour mentioned Spike Milligan's version

I must go down to the sea today

the loney sea and the sky

I left my pants and socks there

I wonder if they are dry

:D

On 31/05/2020 at 13:37, Donw said:

As for the mention of the oggin as a possible sexual practice, if it has owt to do with Nanny Ogg it would be.  Oggin the Ogg would not do for a Childrens program I think.

Indeed!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I must say those cassettes look good. You show four in the fiddle yard, but for practical operation I suppose you would be using a maximum of three cassettes at the time?

Edit: ah, I had not seen that there was no cassette at the rear.

Like Annie I spotted the tilt wagon. You really can't keep it stored like that. It deserves more limelight!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

You really can't keep it stored like that. It deserves more limelight!

He's also got a rather splendidly-finished Midland D504 third brake, complete with red on the outside face of the lower rainstrip - the Slaters kit I presume - and an unfinished S&DJR centre-luggage composite - the Jim McGowan kit, I also presume. Eclectic's the word.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Northroader said:

IDFDC0A8A-C654-49E4-9DBD-5E2C7701DB74.jpeg.245e8bd17f71472e964710e47cebded8.jpeg

Nice power unit. One of H&M's best I reckon (along with the Commander, which was the non-mains version). I've still got one, which I use for running in new locos before they're chipped and for powering the mini drill.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the number of cassettes, in reality on a small branch station like this, you could manage quite well on two at each end, equals three made up trains plus a hole, which is plenty for a representative selection, three each side is generous, but allows some room for jobs on the go.

The tilt wagon has been commented on by Annie and Mikkel, it’s been pulled out to give me some idea of dimensions for a standard gauge version:

There are some bits dumped inside to start the ball rolling. The wagon itself is a Victoria Models kit, which makes up into quite a nice model. It’s struck me this morning that I do really need some seven feet track to run such artefacts on, so strictly it would be for the best if Little Washbourne were to be broad gauge rather than another standard gauge, wouldn’t you say?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Northroader said:

There are some bits dumped inside to start the ball rolling. The wagon itself is a Victoria Models kit, which makes up into quite a nice model. It’s struck me this morning that I do really need some seven feet track to run such artefacts on, so strictly it would be for the best if Little Washbourne were to be broad gauge rather than another standard gauge, wouldn’t you say?

I couldn't possibly comment  ^_^

I did have a quite good picture of a SG tilt wagon somewhere.  I think it's on my old Win 7 Xeon computer's hard drive.  I shall have to have a look since there's some other photos on it as well that I'll be needing soon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Regarding the number of cassettes, in reality on a small branch station like this, you could manage quite well on two at each end, equals three made up trains plus a hole, which is plenty for a representative selection, three each side is generous, but allows some room for jobs on the go.

The tilt wagon has been commented on by Annie and Mikkel, it’s been pulled out to give me some idea of dimensions for a standard gauge version:

A little bit of broad gauge never hurt anyone! Go on, scratch that 7ft itch...

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drduncan said:

Duncan

He probably be trying to work out how to include Irish and Spanish Broad Gauge too!

:jester:

Seriously broad gauge looks natural with short trains so why not give it a go.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, drduncan said:

Duncan

1 hour ago, Donw said:

Seriously broad gauge looks natural with short trains so why not give it a go.

Don

Yeah, why not? After all, you only need 1 loco, and a handful of wagons.... what could possibly go wrong??!! :spiteful: :locomotive:

How many times have we heard that, from anyone starting in a new scale and/or gauge? 

Slippery slope... :jester:

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice power unit. One of H&M's best I reckon

I'm still using the Safety Minor that came along with the TrixTwin layout in 1963.

It was still earning a living persuading the recalcitrant mallet to climb the "big hill" until recently.

Uax6, of this parish, recently gave it a service and said that all that it needed was cleaning out of all the dust that had accumulated over the years.

Ian T

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

link doesn't take us where you want us to go

• Agree 1

I'm impressed they went to all the trouble of fully lining out such a contraption!!

It's that sort of pride in achievement that's been missing from this Country for so long.... maybe a thought for the "1950s/60s Britain & now" thread....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

2C2E615E-F41C-4E0A-82AA-ABF484035F31.jpeg.d5e0046708e2c917c6d0a9f2ca787513.jpeg

A new wagon out of the shops, one of Marc’s (Furness Wagons) kits. The body is a nice resin casting, so I was off to a flyer, and it’s unusual in having large horizontal supporting baulks behind the downward extensions of the end stanchions. It’s supplied with more than its fair share of strapping, which slows things down a bit. Once you’ve embossed the rivets, trimmed the straps, and glued them in position, you realise there’s a corresponding set on the inside of the body, and also hinge straps for the bottom doors. 

One job where I went wrong was in securing the brakeshaft vee hangers, they drop into pockets under the wagon, so I araldited them in, and sometime later realised I hadn’t checked that the brakeshaft hole was in line with the wheel centres. The top of the vee hangers should have had a trim before fitting in the pockets. I then soldered up the brake assembly before realising that the shoes were for a longer wheelbase job, so the brake work is a bit of a bodge. My printer is o/o/o, so I didn’t download the assembly instructions, which may have helped. Anyhow, it’s now painted up, just waiting for lettering, but I’m out of white paint for now.

My wife’s family had an expression for the appearance of a job like this, “blacksmith built” they’d say, and I do like how it’s got the look of the NER hoppers, very much a no nonsense wagon.

• Like 12