• RMweb Premium

The  dexion has been around not quite as long as the Saints. One depot I was at was fitting up shelving in the stores, and I snaffled some offcut lengths. (That’s why the legs are all two pieces bolted together) Another time a fuelling point was shut, and I grabbed some old, slightly rusty bits, straightened them out, and so it went on. There’s some lying round unused even now. Really it needs narrowing a bit, but there’s a shelf bolted on under,  and I CBA. Definition of a railwaymans house : “Blow a whistle, and it will run off down the road.”

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Mr Northroader,

I hope you, your wife and family are well.  I have spent spare moments in the last few days trawling through your thread from end to end.  To be honest it has been quite uplifting to see all the chopping and changing you keep indulging in.  I do this periodically on paper and dive off in different directions on a whim.  I would to be disciplined, but the creative streak takes over.  You succeed in actually building something.  My excuse is work and family, but I'm very close after 58 pages of this thread.  If anything, your latest proposal fits in with some of my ideas I keep returning too.  I feel some scribbling on paper coming along.

I look forward to seeing more posts on your work, plus the next image to celebrate Spring.  I quite like Hilda!

In the meantime , I'll disappear down the rabbit hole of one of your other threads.

Kind regards

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Correct spelling error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments and best wishes, Paul, it would be nice to stabilise and settle down, I keep on getting struck by bright ideas which turn out not to be so bright after all. Anyhow, another few days and I should be able to download Washbourne DOS 5.3.0 on the unsuspecting bystanders, which will be a Great Leap Forward.

73FBE6F1-06C2-4F3C-89C7-D29AA00C61EA.jpeg.a1d028a3abe4e4a0f815568b548c2db6.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Hilda to go Dyke Jumping in her Daisy Chains

I wish everyone to note that I have managed to avoid succumbing to the obvious temptation to post something ribald in response to Paul's remark here.

• Round of applause 5
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Donw said:

I think he is guilty by virtue of having even had the thought, true innocence wouldn't even think of it.:nono:

Ah, rumbled.

In my defence, my daughter is gay and has made me sensitive about the use of certain words.

Not a good defence?

Best I can manage!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Ah, rumbled.

In my defence, my daughter is gay and has made me sensitive about the use of certain words.

Not a good defence?

Best I can manage!

My apologies concern for your family can indeed make you sensitive.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donw said:

Rainbow families are fairly commonplace these days and certainly having family members who are 'so' makes one much more aware of words and which ones might offend.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Donw said:

More a case of having to be careful what I say, Don. With a particular interest in the railways of East Anglia, my knowledge of the word “dyke” and its usage predates its appropriation for other purposes: just like the word “gay”. By “sensitive”, I really meant “sensitive to additional meanings” - hence aware of the potential for ribald (and in today’s “woke” environment, possibly unacceptable) remarks.

Ironic that those who are concerned about inclusivity can create division...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Growing older, I find, does not diminish the need to 'evolve'.  Rather, I think ageing confers the need to ensure one does.

I think my generation, well, certainly in terms of people I have generally been around, was 'evolved' enough not to find being gay remotely remarkable. We no doubt owe this to the efforts of our parents' generation and beyond. We have all had to catch up, however, in relation to other matters, as a result of the previous lack of awareness and mainstream public discourse in other areas, such as trans and non-binary, which were not as familiar and understood when we were younger. 

My conclusion is that, while I see many wrongs still to be righted, I rather celebrate the fact that the boundaries of inclusiveness are continually expanded in my lifetime, while never forgetting that attitudes that now make us shudder, are not very far behind us and that there are many who would roll us back to such recent history.  

I daresay that I will get it wrong, from time to time, and there are those out there who seem to exist to persecute hapless old duffers like me for any slight, real or imagined, but it seems to me that the underlying values are not negated by their abuse by the virtue-signalling prigs of social meja. I am lucky, in that I have not the slightest interest in 'social media' beyond one or two sites populated by co-devotees to my various peculiar hobbies, so I rarely if ever find myself on the defensive for, say, inadvertently failing to use the ever-evolving prescribed terminology of the Woke.  I do, however, try to adhere the principles of courtesy, consideration, fairness and respect, which I find underlie and are essential to all 'progressive' social attitudes. 

As Tom Lehrer once, sagely, observed, "there are those who do not love their fellow Man. And I hate people like that"! ;)  

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim Jefferies does a routine about his Dad being progressive enough to support gay marriage in Australia (Jim's view on gay marriage is simple: if you don't like it, don't marry a person of the same sex) yet being jumped on for not really understanding trans people. As he says, this only runs the risk of pushing his father back to his previous viewpoint.

(If you are on FB, then this is a link, but be warned, the language is strong. https://fb.watch/3IMgWpF-Uq/ )

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Having already had my Covid jab you will know I am of an earlier generation than James. However I was well aware of Gay people when young.  Having been exposed to it for example propositioned in a toilet, had a drivers hand feeling towards my crotch whilst driving along,  and when being offered a place to crash was woken by being cuddled upto in my sleeping bag by a man.  In nearly all cases when I indicated that I was not that way inclined they were accepting and polite.  I have never had a problem with other people's sexual inclinations unless they are forcing them on others.

I have no problem with trans people apart from those who fail to understand that for women who have probably been subject to levels of sexual harrasment that would be unaccepted today, the idea of sharing toilet facilities with someone who is most definately masculine  makes them feel very uncomfortable.  They may feel society is being unfair to them but do not appreciate that for many years women were subjected to sexual harrassment and even if that extended to rape they were often treated as being partly to blame by the mere fact of being an attractive woman.

Don

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Donw said:

Having already had my Covid jab you will know I am of an earlier generation than James. However I was well aware of Gay people when young.  Having been exposed to it for example propositioned in a toilet, had a drivers hand feeling towards my crotch whilst driving along,  and when being offered a place to crash was woken by being cuddled upto in my sleeping bag by a man.  In nearly all cases when I indicated that I was not that way inclined they were accepting and polite.  I have never had a problem with other people's sexual inclinations unless they are forcing them on others.

I have no problem with trans people apart from those who fail to understand that for women who have probably been subject to levels of sexual harrasment that would be unaccepted today, the idea of sharing toilet facilities with someone who is most definately masculine  makes them feel very uncomfortable.  They may feel society is being unfair to them but do not appreciate that for many years women were subjected to sexual harrassment and even if that extended to rape they were often treated as being partly to blame by the mere fact of being an attractive woman.

Don

As a social worker who worked for an adult mental health service I've had a lot of contact with transgender folk and I can tell you that they are just as nervous about men and being harassed by men as any woman might be.  Also transgender folk feel bone deep that they are the gender they present themselves to be and to be referred to in any measure by the use of 'M' words, - man, masculine & etc is deeply hurtful.  I don't want to start lecturing on the subject since this is not the time or place for it.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Two points there, I think.

First, from what I have read, and I intend to read more, it seems that there is no credible evidence to support the belief that transgender women are a danger to cisgender women.   

Second, and I accept that this is an opinion not universally shared, I think it is high time that the idea that trans-women are women ceased to be controversial.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

You both exist in my mind under two categories:

Individual people I know;

Members of the human race.

Any other subgroups are generally meaningless, except for some "issue warriors" (on both sides).

I asked a black friend what I could do, as white man, about BLM. His answer was wonderfully simple: "Just call out [any] discrimination whenever you see it."

That's actually not a lot to ask.

On the other hand, I don't suffer fools gladly. ;)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

As I was saying to someone on a Zoom call this evening (when the subject of intollerance came up) 'we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns'.  The other party full agreed.

Well, I don't know who this Mr Thompson may be or how he got about so much but I'm largely of Irish descent myself.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

'we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns'.

I'm not sure its a concept that translates well into English as it is meant in England. The nearest historically would probably have been "We're all God's children.", to which the reply would have been along the lines "Indeed; but where do you sit in church?" (with even more disdain meted-out to those from "tin hut" denominations).