• RMweb Premium

If your wife is indeed lacking a bit in reaching stuff, wouldn't it be worth putting the cupboard on its side, and you've got a handy peninsula shape to the side of your layout? Less work, and it could double as a dog kennel should the need arise.

• Like 2

True, but also, since no broom, or, indeed, mop, or long-thing-with-a-sort-of-furrry-bit-on-the-end-for-getting-rid-of-cobwebs, nor any other similar implement, has ever been stored in the cupboard, irrelevant.

The matter before the court is not whether or not a cupboard is needed for the storage of brooms, but rather whether or not the removal of a cupboard, which clearly is not now, and never has been, needed for the storage of brooms, but which was very much insisted upon, can be accomplished without causing disharmony.

Shall we start a separate thread on this topic, or is everyone thoroughly bored with this question of Nearholmian domesticity?

K

• Like 2

No, really, I think the best place to describe the denouement, when it eventually happens, will be in my Birlstone thread.

But, before that, lots of credit-building DIY to do, and I've sort of promised that Paltry Circus will be ready for a pre-Christmas meeting of coarse railwayacs ........., at the moment, it is no more than a set of baseboards, a pile of track components, and a lot of talk!

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Kevin,

If you mounted the tall cupboard on its side - with a form of top hung door - above the fiddle yard, it could provide more box space and keep the dust off that side of the layout. Also it would still be available for the storage of long / thin thing - and for placing electronics out of the way of children!

RRegards

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps, and sorry for the diversion.

No high-level cupboards, because Mrs Nearholmer is indeed petite.

Best course of action feels something like: build-up significant credit by actually completing some other jobs around the place (danger that this will arouse suspicion, because it is so out of character!); gently introduce discussion of need for a modest tall cupboard in the kitchen, where the broom etc actually spend all their time, because they are readily to hand; create said cupboard, re-using the door from one in utility room; decommission one in utility room, because it looks a real mess with no door ......

Again, apologies for diversion.

Kevin

I would have suggested finding a better location for a broom cupboard but you are there first. If it was absolutely necessary to store something long a horizontal cupboard might have offered a solution.

In my experience words such as 'it is your train room so you can do as you want' come with an unexpressed rider 'as long as it is acceptable to me'. However grabbing a large room for 0 gauge is fairly selfish and therefore some restrictions are usually quite reasonable.

Don

"In my experience words such as 'it is your train room so you can do as you want' come with an unexpressed rider 'as long as it is acceptable to me'."

And, what we are about here is revising the bounds of acceptability, without accidentally breaking them in the process.

K

PS: I've decided that another good 'credit builder' will be to get one of those "fold and slide out thingies", and fit it to the corner cupboard in the kitchen, which is a great annoyance because things at the back are inaccessible.

• Like 2

Kevin,

If you mounted the tall cupboard on its side - with a form of top hung door - above the fiddle yard, it could provide more box space and keep the dust off that side of the layout. Also it would still be available for the storage of long / thin thing - and for placing electronics out of the way of children!

RRegards

Chris H

Or, placing children out of the way of electronics. 

Shall we start a separate thread on this topic, or is everyone thoroughly bored with this question of Nearholmian domesticity?

No no :nono: please keep it going here; it's been wonderfully entertaining :D ...and though we may have to whisper it, I've no doubt that some of us are/have been in the "there but for the grace of god go I" position... ;)

• Like 2

Northroader

" .......a less obtrusive place, say next to the door?......"

One minor difficulty with that suggestion: the cupboard already is next to the door, that location having been selected so as to maximise ease of access to it (or, possibly, minimise the degree to which it would restrict layout-design choices), during the initial planning of the utility room.

I really am going to say no more about this. I have a plan, Step 1 being to attempt to bank-up enough credit to allow a move towards Step 2.

Kevin

• Like 2

I really am going to say no more about this. I have a plan, Step 1 being to attempt to bank-up enough credit to allow a move towards Step 2.

Kevin

Just make sure you say something about something at regular intervals, so that we know you're OK!

Edited by BG John
  • Like 1

Thank you for your concern.

It may be of no comfort to learn that the lady in question has just started a new fitness routine, to compensate for months hunched over textbooks, completing a dissertation, and that some of the exercises do look awfully like the sort of things that I imagine SAS operatives might subject themselves to .........

I shall approach this cupboard business in very circumspect manner.

K

• Like 1

If you don't watch out, the utility room, purloined into a railway room plus broom cupboard, will become a gymnasium with weights, rowing/ cycling machines, etc., where are we going to be then?

This has already happened to me!

I have not even prepared the room or started on baseboards/frames for CA, and yet the promised workshop railway room now plays host to an item of gym equipment!

My response, in due course, will be to build a second set of tracks, to be mounted above Castle Aching, positioned at the correct viewing height for anyone using said gym equipment.  It would be a very simple watching-the-trains-go-by affair, upon which I am minded to place minimal scenery and a simple platform and shelter, which I will call Tread Mill Halt

• Like 2

This has already happened to me!

I have not even prepared the room or started on baseboards/frames for CA, and yet the promised workshop railway room now plays host to an item of gym equipment!

My response, in due course, will be to build a second set of tracks, to be mounted above Castle Aching, positioned at the correct viewing height for anyone using said gym equipment.  It would be a very simple watching-the-trains-go-by affair, upon which I am minded to place minimal scenery and a simple platform and shelter, which I will call Tread Mill Halt

Ha. This here is whom Edwardian apparently refers to as the Memsahib.

Please note that it is Edwardian's piece of gym equipment. He put it there.

You should also note that we have several outbuildings, none of which apparently contain anything other than Edwardian's 'stuff'. It seems to occupy every nook and cranny of this house.

You should also note that we have several outbuildings, none of which apparently contain anything other than Edwardian's 'stuff'. It seems to occupy every nook and cranny of this house.

B*gger

• Like 1

Apologies.  There has been a security breach.

Henceforth, and until such time as I can be confident that the 'heat is off' and the Memsahib is back in Horse-Heaven, where she belongs, I will end each post with the name of a Pre-Group CME, so you know it's me.

Massey Bromley

Ah, well, the "item of gym equipment" is in the kitchen/diner, because, that at way, it is possible to keep some sort of an eye on the mischief-makers while using it. There is actually, just about, room for it in the utility/railway room, and it may get shifted there in due course.

I might add that my main acquaintance with this "item of gym equipment" has been to shift the thing in, assemble it etc ....... It is phenomenally bulky and heavy, so that was quite enough exercise for me, thank you very much!

K

• Like 1

B*gger

To top it all, had to tell the Bl**dy Woman that she got a 'Funny' post rating!

Anyway, you married chaps will know that it is by myriad subtle signs, deniable at need, but, nevertheless, understood as clear, implacable and determined, that a chap knows the decision he is expected to take.

Hence, yes, I did, indeed, volunteer to purchase said equipment and install it in the railway room, as opposed to purchasing insulation and timber, and installing that.

Archibald Sturrock

• Like 3

Apologies.  There has been a security breach.

Henceforth, and until such time as I can be confident that the 'heat is off' and the Memsahib is back in Horse-Heaven, where she belongs, I will end each post with the name of a Pre-Group CME, so you know it's me.

Massey Bromley

Is your library locked, so that research into pre-group CMEs can't be undertaken by other occupants of the house?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour, Camille Polonceau, Routier du Nord ici, wat is zis "piece of gym equeepment" you naughty Engleesh are putting into your chambre de reseau to satisfy you weemenfolk. I must have eet, rather zan a chien keep, n'est ce pas??

Bonjour, Camille Polonceau, Routier du Nord ici, wat is zis "piece of gym equeepment" you naughty Engleesh are putting into your chambre de reseau to satisfy you weemenfolk. I must have eet, rather zan a chien keep, n'est ce pas??

Bonjour Camille,

Should I suffer a hernia from shifting gym equipment, I'll know who to go to for a truss.

We are a hopeless bunch.  And I am very much to blame.

What with Kevin's négociations domestique, and my gym equipment invading Washbourne, and the Bournemouth Express crashing into Mikkel's Battersea, we demonstrate our collective ability to cause any topic to 'go Castle Aching' and digress, diverge and meander!

Sir Daniel Gooch

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2