• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

PS I am I the only one to think that from the neck up she looks a bit like Donald Trump?

Careful, - the horrors of such a statement are likely to crawl into one's consciousness during the wee small hours of the night. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Annie said:

Careful, - the horrors of such a statement are likely to crawl into one's consciousness during the wee small hours of the night. 

How about Kim Jong-Un then?

Sorry...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How about Kim Jong-Un then?

Sorry...

We don’t have a shuddering icon for topic ratings.

And I don’t for one moment think you really are sorry...

But we have drifted from the topic thread, and we aren’t in Castle Aching...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Simon, I like Hilda’s appearances as adding  a bit of joie de vivre, etc, to a otherwise dull old thread, but likening her fragrant presence to those other two twerps.... aargh!! Like Annie says,not an image to lie awake at night stuck in your mind. Not Castle Aching, although we’re twinned, so.. hands up, who like soppy puppy dog pictures??

7D5BC467-1191-4493-9465-AD8F8203E50D.jpeg.1f8317ba234584d879f549d1d169afa1.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Thanks for that, Simon, I like Hilda’s appearances as adding  a bit of joie de vivre, etc, to a otherwise dull old thread, but likening her fragrant presence to those other two twerps.... aargh!! Like Annie says,not an image to lie awake at night stuck in your mind. Not Castle Aching, although we’re twinned, so.. hands up, who like soppy puppy dog pictures??

I am not sure that’s an image I want stuck in my mind, either...

Well, not that view, anyway.

5 hours ago, Northroader said:

Ah.

They become less endearing in that regard as they get older.

Here's my 'missing' dog, relaxing after his night in the neighbour's cowshed ..

DSCN8387.JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

OK, now I do have something about dogs to add: I was always taught never to allow a dog to sleep on your bed, because, in their tiny pack-heirarchy-oriented minds, who gets what bed confers or implies status, and if they are in yours, they'm at least equal to you, which causes discipline problems.

Mind you, I guess things only really break-down when you slink off to curl-up in their bed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

They get cold in the winter and come up on the bed.  In warmer weather they prefer the floor.

There was a great cartoon in a magazine some years back featuring a rather non-plussed occupant of a guest bedroom sitting up in bed with a number of her hostess's dogs sprawled over her.  Her tweedy hostess stood calmly in the doorway, oblivious her guest's expression of perplexity and disquiet, announcing "it's going to be a cold one tonight, so I've put an extra dog on the bed for you"

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

They’re part of the family, and good company, although I should say the pup I pictured is my daughters, not mine. She’s got two girls, and their bedroom floor is covered with toys, so they have to keep the dog downstairs, or they’d be checking every move it makes to see how many bits of chewed up Lego come out. Keep up the good work on those little engines, Sam, you’re knocking out masterpieces for next to nothing, really enjoy following your thread.

• Like 3

A bit of information, Mr Northroader.

I bought some wheels for wagons on Saturday, from a Mr Fisher, trading as Peartree Engineering, a truly gentlemanly chap, who makes exceedingly good wheels.

He alerted me to the fact that he makes finescale profile wheels that are designed as a "drop in" replacement for Ace and Darstaed wheel-sets - I'm not sure if these cover coaches or just wagons, although he certainly makes coach wheels in both fine and coarse profiles.

So, if you fancy the odd biscuit tin on wheels to run at Washbourne, he is your man (advert in G0G Gazette, or I've got his contact details).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I’m glad to see you’re gallivanting off to GOG dos, Kettering is a bit off the beaten track from here and last year was a bit of a disaster weather wise, although they’re not a good place to go for the “biscuit tin” market. I have had a set of Peartree wheels to go under an American diesel before now, there was a problem with the old ones, but damned if I remember what it was now. Actually I’m running some steamroller wheels under some ETS coaches, I found if I just slip an 8BA washer behind on one side, they go quite well, and now I’ve abolished points (nasty expensive things) there’s no stopping ecumenical running.

I do like that little 2-4-0T you’ve been doing, it looks really pretty. I suppose 3rail versus 2rail is more of a barrier than wheel profile.

i must confess I’m currently trying to restrict expenditure, since I splashed out on an expensive (to me, at any rate) kit on eBay recently, and all jobs should really be completed before I go for anymore.

Edited by Northroader

I actually only went to a few buy people (1:43 ones, I'm not a slave trader or anything like that), in which I failed, because they had no way of taking electronic money.

Like you, I'm trying to follow a "finish things, not buy things" rule when it comes to locos and stock, partly for monetary reasons, and partly because I've got several other locos that need work, plus milk vans to finish, and several other wagon kits in stock, and, and, and ...... if we were snowed in for a year, I could probably happily fill any spare time finishing things that are already in the cupboard.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The line is being tittivated up, starting with the right corner. First off I’m hoping to do some signals this end, and two sockets and linkage for these have gone in and I’ll explain more about this when I can get the signals done. Once this was sorted, I could get on with ballasting. At one time I used crushed granite ballast, but once the glue solution soaked in it turned bright blue, so I go for limestone / shingle mixes, using several kinds and sizes, generally intended for smaller scales. When its levelled, I put a small dust of “turf” powder here and there on the siding, brushing it off sleeper tops. Then the diluted PVA glue mix was dropped over, and I’m glad to say that although some washing up liquid was in the solution, none seeped down into the control tubes and rods for the signalling. Some Woodland Scenics field grass has since been added.

The loading dock under the warehouse needed a more careworn appearance, but the stone setts are a Redutex sheet, and I’ve found this doesn’t  like my way of wiping thinned enamel Matt black paint over the surface. Instead I put a coat of Matt varnish over, then gave a dab of pva water based umber paint, wiping off the surplus with tissues.

Then move to the backscene, which I haven’t been happy with, mainly how to treat the green bank across the foreground. I decided the answer is to move the whole lot a quarter mile nearer the sea, and at the right end the large down in the background had to go. Using pva paint this isn’t a problem, I could just mark the boundary where I wanted to keep the scenery with masking medium, and block out above this with a thick coat of white. Once this was dry, I put in a new view as required, and while I was at it, the post and rail fence in the foreground running parallel with the bridge parapet also got blotted out. A transition is needed with an overlay of buildings leading into the scene, and I cut some paper shapes about the right size,, and placed these as needed. Each set of buildings was sketched in with a pencil, trying to get the proportions and especially the perspective lines right. They could then be painted on the flat away from the backscene with more detail and cut to shape. The edges were tinted to take away the white edge, and replaced back in position. They’re stuck in position at the bottom, but not fully down, as I may need to tuck some more bits behind.3585251E-1A4E-4D70-84C7-5DFD17623598.jpeg.b2fdb46c4a66c871f72e01d8c2357106.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

That's impressive painting Northroader, can't have been easy to get the perspective right. I do like your warehouse, a brilliant model.

Thanks for the tip on weathering the Redutex setts, I have some that I'm thinking of using, but still undecided. And thanks for a new word, 'tittivated' :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they definitely respond to a sealing coat before any washes go over them, if you use white spirit it soaks in and they look a mess. I still haven’t quite got the perspective spot on, because there’s a right angled bend halfway round and you expect to see the sea going straight on. If I make the Hill on the right a bit higher it might help.

Hope you don’t learn too many English words off me, that one can be used in polite company, but just sometimes...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, some of the uprights don’t tally. In part, when I was editing the picture, I tilted it slightly to help where I wanted to crop it.  The fact that the scenery does a right angled bend in the middle doesn’t help. I went back after I’d posted and had another look, and it does look a bit better than the picture — I think, maybe, perhaps—- but you do have a point. Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Agreed, some of the uprights don’t tally. In part, when I was editing the picture, I tilted it slightly to help where I wanted to crop it.  The fact that the scenery does a right angled bend in the middle doesn’t help. I went back after I’d posted and had another look, and it does look a bit better than the picture — I think, maybe, perhaps—- but you do have a point. Thanks.

I did notice that, from the photo it looks as though a bit of sea should be visible behind the dip in the hill. I was fairly sure it was due to the angle and the fact that the backscene turns a corner but raise the hill just a little and it would rectify it. I would be tempted just to add some trees but that would probably look wrong for the area.  The fact that you cannot see the corner doesn't help the eye. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I must try another shot holding the camera upright, which means waiting until the light is good as there’s a skylight immediately behind. The “horizon” does curl round the corner, but I prefer having a rounded corner, you see a lot of layouts with square corners in the backscene, and I think that looks worse. The South Downs coastal area is exposed with poor soil on the uplands, so I’ve tried to limit the amount of trees, you’re right, Don, trees do help a scene.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So what I did this morning is do a repaint for just the downs bit, increasing the height somewhat.  This should help the visual effect that your eyes aren’t trying to expect the sea to reappear across the end. Memo to self: when painting scenic backscenes, block off the horizon line when you get to a corner.

D789DB2D-7D38-4D6D-9392-2891A59DB032.jpeg.70e7966adb26532bdca61a7e30764c8d.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3