• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments, everyone, I’d best think about some bushes tucked into a corner. Kevin, your idea for the Birlstone pub reminds me of the pub where I’ve spent more time than any other, as in my early twenties it was where me and my pals used to get to on a Sunday morning and put the world to rights. It’s still there, thankfully, but was at the centre of a racism row (there’s another in Staffs. had the same problem) It could form a useful reminder of a pregroup era when folks didn’t bother about such things, the sign is what upsets people, the pubs called “All Labour in Vain”

attachicon.gifEE54A3CE-F5E8-4BE4-A28F-2E1E9CC5B67D.jpeg

Now if you’re into decently constructed model buildings (as a change from here) can I recommend what’s going on here, there’s some magnificent building work appearing, it should turn out to a great model:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124064-copper-wort/

There was another Labour in Vain at Westergate, near Bognor Regis. It was one of the last pubs I ever played bar billiards in. I think it closed and became a curry house.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven’t been back for several years now, but to see that.... They’ll never organise “lock-ins” in those houses late on Saturday night, or stagger back home late for Sunday lunch. You’ll say next the “Glory Hole” (aka the “Travellers Joy”) has gone, not that I ever went there, we did have standards.

Edit, to save you the trouble, I looked it up, and it’s still there!!!! The labour in vain gone, and the travellers survives, what a strange world we’re living in

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Gold

I used to pass the pub going to work and back. I think I only went in once. I did manage to spend a couple of hours while supposedly working poking about in a toad at Horsehay. I also had a nose around the railway at Donnington Camp.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To wrap up this sequence of construction I need the traditional bridge masking the exit to the fiddle yard. Really it was a bit too restricted, as taking the bridge dimensions from the available track spacing made the centre pier narrower than I would have liked. The baseboard width was tight at 16.5” and I didn’t really want to trim anything off the back of the warehouse. Add to this I wanted to keep the height of the bridge down, it’s a very small site and the bridge could become out of proportion. Really the road deck needed a little more height, as the double track arch is looking a bit flat in the middle.

The road deck was cut from ply, and supports either side and the middle of the track from short lengths off a plank. Then it was faced either side by some 1/8” ply glued on, and I marked out the arches. I use a loading gauge made from plastikard mounted on a base of the same, with strips to locate it on the track. It also comes in for platform clearances, coupler and buffer settings. Then it’s drawing in arches which accommodate the gauge and meet up with the deck and supports, and cutting them out. A thin cardboard infill for the arches was glued in, and more of the Kirtley brickpapers used to cover everything. Only the top was glued to start, the edge of the arch was cut out and then a strip about three bricks wide in from this edge cut back with a sharp craft knife, and then the covering paper glued down. This gave me an accurate arch which I could paint away from the rest, using flat Humbrol paints trying to match the colours, but dappled to suggest the ends of the bricks rather than the sides. Then stick the arch in, and pick out the courses in pale grey with a bow pen, with a bit more texturing. There’s a narrow raised strip running across the bridge to add to the look, and the top edge of the ply filled with milliput and painted to look like a capping strip.

There’s a slight sheen on the printed brickpapers, and the painted surfaces are flat, so it needs a coat of Matt varnish to pull it together, and try and give it some protection from u.v. exposure. I gave it a good stir, but it still looks a bit piebald, and I should have brushed along the joins of the paper rather than across them. There’s just a dab of black chalk powder to suggest smoke blackening. To round it off, the ply roadway was finished to look like a country lane.

This wraps up the buildings for now, the station building and the S&F signalbox are tailored for the LBSC, but the bridge has a general “Home Counties” look which can be used on some more lines, and the agricultural warehouse could be used in a general application.

post-26540-0-37536700-1544213326_thumb.jpeg

post-26540-0-37536700-1544213326_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

To wrap up this sequence of construction I need the traditional bridge masking the exit to the fiddle yard. Really it was a bit too restricted, as taking the bridge dimensions from the available track spacing made the centre pier narrower than I would have liked. The baseboard width was tight at 16.5” and I didn’t really want to trim anything off the back of the warehouse. Add to this I wanted to keep the height of the bridge down, it’s a very small site and the bridge could become out of proportion. Really the road deck needed a little more height, as the double track arch is looking a bit flat in the middle.

The road deck was cut from ply, and supports either side and the middle of the track from short lengths off a plank. Then it was faced either side by some 1/8” ply glued on, and I marked out the arches. I use a loading gauge made from plastikard mounted on a base of the same, with strips to locate it on the track. It also comes in for platform clearances, coupler and buffer settings. Then it’s drawing in arches which accommodate the gauge and meet up with the deck and supports, and cutting them out. A thin cardboard infill for the arches was glued in, and more of the Kirtley brickpapers used to cover everything. Only the top was glued to start, the edge of the arch was cut out and then a strip about three bricks wide in from this edge cut back with a sharp craft knife, and then the covering paper glued down. This gave me an accurate arch which I could paint away from the rest, using flat Humbrol paints trying to match the colours, but dappled to suggest the ends of the bricks rather than the sides. Then stick the arch in, and pick out the courses in pale grey with a bow pen, with a bit more texturing. There’s a narrow raised strip running across the bridge to add to the look, and the top edge of the ply filled with milliput and painted to look like a capping strip.

There’s a slight sheen on the printed brickpapers, and the painted surfaces are flat, so it needs a coat of Matt varnish to pull it together, and try and give it some protection from u.v. exposure. I gave it a good stir, but it still looks a bit piebald, and I should have brushed along the joins of the paper rather than across them. There’s just a dab of black chalk powder to suggest smoke blackening. To round it off, the ply roadway was finished to look like a country lane.

This wraps up the buildings for now, the station building and the S&F signalbox are tailored for the LBSC, but the bridge has a general “Home Counties” look which can be used on some more lines, and the agricultural warehouse could be used in a general application.

attachicon.gifD2864FD6-CAED-48D0-9AF6-342073C52AE4.jpeg

I like that gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree about the Gauge a very useful idea. The brickwork has come out very well.

Whilst I agree, wasn’t there usually a structure gauge, providing for greater clearances, with a gap between the two to allow for stock movement and curves?

That bridge looks mighty tight.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, Simon, it is tight. The gauge is placed slightly in front of the bridge, which might make it look worse, but there should still be a big gap allowed over the rolling stock guage, which this is, before you meet the envelope which determines how close the buildings get, and I’m pretty sure I’m well into that gap. For example, i haven’t tried it yet, but I’m certain the pickup nets on my T.P.O., which go past the gauge I’m showing, will make that vehicle restricted to the platform road only, which won’t be too much of a hardship, but all the little folks will have to keep their heads in when going under the bridge.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

but all the little folks will have to keep their heads in when going under the bridge.

On a model railway, where everything can get compressed, a little intrusion into the envelope is as understandable as it is all but inevitable.

Besides, plastic surgery to reattach heads to bodies is somewhat simpler with the “little folk” who populate our trains!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I had hoped to dazzle you with another progress report by now, but Christmas preparations have got in the way. This year we did nearly all the shopping with the touchpad and white van man, but times just gone. It leaves me to wish everyone who’s been on the thread very best wishes for Christmas and a New Years happy modelling.

I had hoped for some help in this, but the Ladies Orpheans have managed to organise a “lock-in” at the Pantiles Inn, so you can hear them faintly, silent night it ain’t. Routier du Nord wanted to borrow my high-viz tabard left from my BR days, and left for France three weeks ago, haven’t heard from him since, I suppose he must be photographing trains. Dear Hilda is very busy doing some essential darning, so I’m just borrowing a poster from Southern Region BR, remember when trains ran over Xmas?post-26540-0-94526600-1545509740.jpeg

post-26540-0-40190700-1545509765_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

This year we did nearly all the shopping with the touchpad and white van man

Every time a white van pulls up I hope they've come to take away one of my family members, but no luck yet.

Have a good christmas!  :)  

Every time a white van pulls up I hope they've come to take away one of my family members, but no luck yet.

I worry that it might be for me, sent for by one of my family members!!

A Merry Christmas to you all.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Looking for a Christmas absence rather than a Christmas presence?

Seasonal greetings indeed.

• Like 2