2mm Coal Tank test build

Branwell

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, John57sharp said:

I’m wondering if the etches and chassis are still available?

3 hours ago, tapdieuk said:

I would also be interested if a set of etchings are available.

You'd need to contact David Varley directly (or via the Association). He hasn't visited RMWeb since August, so may not see messages posted here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sent David Varley an email (using the email address I had for him from buying the original etches) advising him of the updates to this thread and asking if he still has any in stock.

regards,

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 15/03/2021 at 16:51, 2mm Andy said:

I've sent David Varley an email (using the email address I had for him from buying the original etches) advising him of the updates to this thread and asking if he still has any in stock.

regards,

Andy

Thanks for the heads up on the updates on the thread Andy.

Nick's done a wonderful job - hope to see his model in the flesh sometime!

I've dropped PMs to John and Will, but if there's anybody who wants a set of etches, I've got a few left, so if they drop me a PM and we can sort something out - not had much time or enthusiasm for modelling recently but hoping I might get my mojo back in the not too distant future.

Regards,

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/08/2016 at 00:14, Nick Mitchell said:

While useful background, I found that most of the 4mm instructions didn't apply at the "ground level" in 2mm, so I started writing up my own construction notes as a set of "alternative" instructions for the body.

They only go as far as I've got with my build, but I have attached a copy of my working draft, in case anyone wants to follow exactly what I've done.

I will update them once I've got the chassis built and know how to finish off the body.

Coal Tank 2mm construction notes NPM.pdf 448.43 kB · 137 downloads

Hello Nick, running behind the bus a bit, but looking forward to having a go at this soon. Did you ever issue an update to the notes at all?

cheers

John

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, John57sharp said:

Hello Nick, running behind the bus a bit, but looking forward to having a go at this soon. Did you ever issue an update to the notes at all?

cheers

John

Hi John. The short answer is no. The main reason is that I've posted details and photos of everything I've done since that first draft on this thread. The other reason is that the fold-up etched radial truck I used is not available commercially, so it wouldn't really be appropriate as part of a set of notes for other people to follow. If you are using the chassis Chris Higgs produced to go with the body etches, I suspect you will need to make different modifications.

Nick.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Nick, just gathering all the info I can and wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed anything . Thanks for the detailed updates, looking forward to trying this build using this thread  as inspiration.

Thanks to all the other contributors too, hope I can string something together and put it up on here.

cheers

John

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I dug out the etchings and have started my Coal Tank. I have already put together a Chris Higgs chassis, although it has yet have  motor fitted. This thread has been a big help to see how others have tackled putting the body together. 

One of the first bits make was a wooden base to keep the footplate as flat as possible. 

I have had to make cut outs to allow buffers, steps and smoke box to fit. 

I am at the stage were the cab has been tacked in place.  The boiler tube needs cutting away for the motor and gears. 

The rear of the loco is fairly strong, the front is quite delicate. Soldering the buffer beams and buffers was a bit traumatic. The font foot plate ended up moving around, after quite a bit of faffing reheating and jigging it looks mostly flat and square...... 

PXL_20221227_180345143

The set up for attaching the front spectacle rims, after I had forget to attach them.  

PXL_20221227_161830866

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, John57sharp said:

Progress creeps on very slowly. 

Can anybody point me to a budget set of drawings for the chimney, dome etc? I’m thinking of having a go at turning them up myself.

cheers in advance

John

Another source is Roche's Historic Loco Drawings in 4mm Scale, which includes a drawing of the loco and LNWR fittings. Model Railways November 1975 has an article with lots of info and large scale drawings of the loco and the driving wheels. Would you like scans of these?

Nigel Hunt

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2023 at 08:03, John57sharp said:

Not yet Gareth but I’ll see if I can get one reasonably priced.

thanks for the information 

John

Hi John,

I believe it's recently been re-published in paperback form by Peco:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LNWR-Portrayed-Jack-Nelson/dp/B0BKRZJ1GB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19PB5S98WC4Z1&keywords=LNWR+portrayed&qid=1678994930&sprefix=lnwr+portrayed%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-1

• Informative/Useful 1

On 16/03/2023 at 19:29, Argos said:

Interestingly, it's printed by Amazon, at least if you order from Amazon.

Amazon has had a print on demand service for a while. You upload your thing, and when someone wants it they print it and send it. It cuts down on inventory costs associated with larger printing runs. It also cuts down on quality if you care about the paper your book is printed on and that sort of thing. This actually seems like a good use of the service to me. The book is available again and Peco don't have to fork over large quantities of cash for a book that will sell slowly.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

According to the advert in the latest Railway Modeller, the reprint is only available from Amazon.

Ahh, that makes sense. I did wonder if it was "print on demand" as I ordered a US published book at the same time which came in exactly the same format and "printed by Amazon". I had expected it to be US stock but they both took a couple of days, rather than the usual next day prime delivery.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/03/2023 at 12:24, tapdieuk said:

John57sharp I have used these as a guide, when cleaning up, reshaping the n-brass casting that I am using an on my coal tank.

PXL_20230312_120455907

PXL_20230312_120042927

PXL_20230312_120320261

Thanks so much for this, I’m sorry for the delay, I haven’t been here for a few weeks. This is just at I need.

Thanks to the info regarding the book too.

cheers

John